Tips for mainitaining a moisturized, straight press...anything else?

Harina

So I'm getting my natural 4b hair pressed on Friday. Originally I was supposed to do it Sunday but they were booked, which I would have preferred because I'm trying to wear my hair down, straight, and still have it look nice for at least the first three days of the week (M-W). I'm really worried that my hair is not going to remain straight and down because the last two times I got my hair pressed, after the first 2 days or so it started to revert and I had to wear it up. So I have made a list of some things to do to make sure my hair is weardownable for at least 6 days in a row. Do you think I'm overreaching my goal? My hair is always very healthy/moisturized when it has been professionally flat ironed. I just want it to stay straight so I can wear it down, not so much out.

1) Wrap it at night.
2) Wear silk scarf at night.
3) Chi silk infusion or oil (grapeseed/olive?) after press. Whenever I get my hair flat ironed, they never put anything like this on my hair. But then my hair often reverts, not all the way back to my natural texture but just to the point where I can't really wear it down. Would it be a good idea to add a drop of this to my hair after I get home from the salon?

That's all I have.

I've found my hair reverts less when my hair is super moisturized by my DC. Have you considered conditioning your hair the night before, rinsing in the morning and going to the salon with damp hair and have them recondition again?

I know it sounds like a lot, but I can remember last time it rained and my hair was straight there was no revision until I actually washed my hair. The humidity did not affect it one bit. Silky straight from day one to day 6.

I've found my hair reverts less when my hair is super moisturized by my DC. Have you considered conditioning your hair the night before, rinsing in the morning and going to the salon with damp hair and have them recondition again?

I know it sounds like a lot, but I can remember last time it rained and my hair was straight there was no revision until I actually washed my hair. The humidity did not affect it one bit. Silky straight from day one to day 6.

I was planning on deep conditioning before but letting it dry after I moisturized and sealed. I think I would have to work up the courage to go to the salon with damp hair. I feel like I might get some funny looks. Might try it though.

You straighten you hair yourself, correct? What products do you use? Anything like Chi silk infusion?

looks like you got a good list. I agree that super moisturized hair reverts slower (for me)

For my hair, humidity would revert it quickly, so I use Maxius Beyond Straight before i blowdry and straighten to fight against that. I have noticed a big difference when i use it. Theres not a lot of humidity where i'm at now, but i still use it because when i do straighten, it keeps the roots from reverting (due to my own body heat). I'm sure there are other humidity resistant products out there that may help as well, but i've only used this one and it works for me

Also, the oil i use is caster oil.

How often? How much?

a little goes a long way with me. i dont like putting too much in my hair because it will feel weighed down. i put my caster oil in a bottle with a pump and about 1 or two pumps distributed throughout my hair, and combed/brushed thru evenly is enough for me. I think amount depends on how thick and how long your hair is.

I'm trying to remember the last time i straightened, I think i applied it every other day before bed.

for me i have been using a serum that has water in it. its very moisturizing imo. also i keep my hair wrapped at all times when i am not going anywhere where i need to look cute.

I was planning on deep conditioning before but letting it dry after I moisturized and sealed. I think I would have to work up the courage to go to the salon with damp hair. I feel like I might get some funny looks. Might try it though.

You straighten you hair yourself, correct? What products do you use? Anything like Chi silk infusion?

Yes. Definitely a self straightener. I DC with Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Treatment with some coconut oil, jojoba and maybe a little castor oil overnight. I detangle and blow dry with Nioxin Thermal Bliss and proceed to flat iron. I don't really need anything else after that and my hair is silky and flowy after flat ironing.

My Tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffjZQQIGelg

Because my hair is straight, the oils my scalp naturally produces is able to trickle down my strands pretty easily so I really don't have to add anything to my hair the entire time it's straight. I just wrap it every night.

You can also put a little moisturizer in your hair and then put your hair in 4 to 6 bantu knots to sleep in to keep your hair pulled in a taunt position, and when I say a little bit of moisturizer I mean less than a dime size. If you look up brittany16 (not sure if this is her correct screen name), the heat trained natural on youtube and also a member here she has a video of how she moisturizers her hair in between presses.

Hey ya'll! I am new to LHCF, but have been, of course, lurking for a while. I wear my 4a/b hair straight for 2-3 weeks using Mizani Thermasmooth steps 3/4 and a flat iron. I wear my hair in a bun or pinned up. I moisturize my hair at night with a mix of aloe vera gel/and KCKT (30/60). The KCKT doesn't have water in it and the aloe vera gel does, I want a little water, but not enough to cause reversion. I then seal with EVCO and or shea butter. I usually put my hair on satin rollers or pin curls and then throw on a satin bonnet. My aloe vera gel/KCKT works fine, but I am always looking for a better mositurizer. So I will keep checking this thread. Thanks ladies!

Ok, I've been trying something on my flat ironed ends that seems to be working. I have been mixing equal parts of KCKT and aloe vera jelly, the Target brand which has water in it. I also have the all natural Lily of the Desert avj. When the 2 mix (1/2 a tablespoon of each) it makes this greenish (the Target avj is green) tapioca pudding-consistency mixture. I section my shoulder length hair in approx 1" sections and coat the last inch of my ends with it. There is just enough water in the mix to moisturize without causing reversion. I then seal my ends with evco/wheat germ oil/castor oil or shea butter. I think the KCKT is more of a sealant too, when I do a wng and use KCKT, if my hair isn't mosturized (with water or leave in) prior to the KCKT it will eventually get dry. I am usually puting my hair in big rollers after each section (my ps is pinning up my loosely curled hair). Be careful, although the ends aren't reverted they are still very "suggestive." My ends are soft, no split ends. My ends are softer/more moisturized with the mix than with evco or shea butter alone. I hope this helps someone looking for a natural moisturizer for their flat ironed hair.

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

for me i have been using a serum that has water in it. its very moisturizing imo. also i keep my hair wrapped at all times when i am not going anywhere where i need to look cute.

what serum is this? do you add water or is it one of the ingredients?

Back