TIPS for Dry hair and Breakage!

sxynanaplay

Okay! So, I just started on here about a week ago and Ive been reading alot of threads. My hair is very corse probably a 4b its dry and will not keep in any moisture. Ive recently included in my hair care the brand "Olive Oil Organic" Have you heard anything good about their shampoo and conditioners? After I wash my hair I add in castor oil in my wet hair and air dry, After it dries its pretty spongey and hard. My hair breaks off pretty easy so pretty much my hair is a dry battlefield! Any suggestions Ladies!

My suggesion would be to do an aphoghee 2 step treatment...and what are doing for a leave conditioner? also hawaiian silky moisturizer is good and try put the oil on and then washing your hair oil rinse.. R you relaxed or natural?

:welcome:

First of all, welcome to the board!!!!!

Secondly, as a somewhat newbie, my best advice to you is to try a bunch of different things that work for other 4Bs and see what sticks. Now the flipside of that is understanding that what works for another 4B might not work for your 4B hair. It took me a few tries to find what works for my hair, and I'm still looking for things, but eventually you will figure it out. Oh... Start with the least costly products and work your way up to the more expensive things. :grin:

Are you relaxed or natural? This tends to make a difference in which products you should use for maximum benefit.

Okay! So, I just started on here about a week ago and Ive been reading alot of threads. My hair is very corse probably a 4b its dry and will not keep in any moisture. Ive recently included in my hair care the brand "Olive Oil Organic" Have you heard anything good about their shampoo and conditioners? After I wash my hair I add in castor oil in my wet hair and air dry, After it dries its pretty spongey and hard. My hair breaks off pretty easy so pretty much my hair is a dry battlefield! Any suggestions Ladies!

sxynanaplay Maybe your hair hates oils like mine. Ever since I discovered DCing and ACV rinsing, my hair has improved its moisture content so that I can actually have soft hair w/o any moisturizer applied. Baggying is something I did for years, but it wasn't until I added those two other procedures that I reaped a bounty from baggying.

I also found that the wrong products for MY hair can change my naturally soft hair into a rough brush; and when I say "wrong products for my hair" I don't mean they are bad products in general, but they just don't agree with my hair (eg Shea Butter or any butter, oils, creams). Only one product has managed to keep my hair soft w/o making it sticky and icky, and I use it when I need to comb my hair out and need slip. And that's my beloved S Curl. Perhaps the regimen I share here could make a difference to your hair too. It made a difference to my mom's: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=526649,

As a newbie, I learned it's helpful to post your entire regi so that suggestions can be made to you because it might be a combination of things causing dryness.

My biggest lessons learned was try things in moderation and don't run off and buy prods just because someone suggests it. You will go broke quick.

My suggesion would be to do an aphoghee 2 step treatment...and what are doing for a leave conditioner? also hawaiian silky moisturizer is good and try put the oil on and then washing your hair oil rinse.. R you relaxed or natural?

:welcome:
Moonpie8 Thank you for the suggestions. What is a aphoghee 2 step treatment is it some type of deep conditioning? I use Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner ( I dont use that for Leave in though) So i guess i dont use anything for leave in ha-ha. I am now natural all the relaxer has been grown out and cut off.

First of all, welcome to the board!!!!!

Secondly, as a somewhat newbie, my best advice to you is to try a bunch of different things that work for other 4Bs and see what sticks. Now the flipside of that is understanding that what works for another 4B might not work for your 4B hair. It took me a few tries to find what works for my hair, and I'm still looking for things, but eventually you will figure it out. Oh... Start with the least costly products and work your way up to the more expensive things. :grin:

Are you relaxed or natural? This tends to make a difference in which products you should use for maximum benefit.
cia_garces Thanks for the welcome. I am now all natural. After reading a few post I hopped in the car and went staight to the beauty supply store (probably what most of you ladies have done haha ) and I bought some stuff to try on my hair I bought Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner & Shampoo, Pure castor oil and some kind of mixure (no pertroleum in this) of different oils for moisture.

sxynanaplay Maybe your hair hates oils like mine. Ever since I discovered DCing and ACV rinsing, my hair has improved its moisture content so that I can actually have soft hair w/o any moisturizer applied. Baggying is something I did for years, but it wasn't until I added those two other procedures that I reaped a bounty from baggying.

I also found that the wrong products for MY hair can change my naturally soft hair into a rough brush; and when I say "wrong products for my hair" I don't mean they are bad products in general, but they just don't agree with my hair (eg Shea Butter or any butter, oils, creams). Only one product has managed to keep my hair soft w/o making it sticky and icky, and I use it when I need to comb my hair out and need slip. And that's my beloved S Curl. Perhaps the regimen I share here could make a difference to your hair too. It made a difference to my mom's: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=526649,
Nonie Thank you for the link i have read it and it helps out so much! i love this forum! :grin: could you tell me what baggying is?:blush:

Nonie Thank you for the link i have read it and it helps out so much! i love this forum! :grin: could you tell me what baggying is?:blush:

sxynanaplay

First off welcome to LHCF! You will find tons of information that I know for a fact will help you. The ladies here are so very helpful and with some of the general questions you are asking, I feel that the search tool will greatly benefit you. There are entire threads on nothing but baggying, deep conditioning, and the benefits of different types of oils.

I would also suggest that when asking for advice, please post your entire regimen and pictures so that these knowledgable ladies can truly get a full picture before helping out.

Happy Hair Growing love!

@Nonie Thank you for the link i have read it and it helps out so much! i love this forum! :grin: could you tell me what baggying is?:blush:

@sxynanaplay Baggying is covering your hair with plastic. We do it to retain moisture in our hair. Some people baggy just the ends of their hair (You can see a demo in the series of photos here); some (like me) baggy the whole head by wearing a plastic cap. Most people baggy for the night, but I also baggy when wearing a hat or head wrap.

I personally do not apply anything to my hair when I baggy (except if wearing my hair out when I use S Curl). I'm usually in braids or twists so after washing and conditioning my hair, I airdry and leave my hair bare. I find baggying helps encourage sebum production and also provides a "steaming" effect so that the moisture from conditioning seems to be renewed somewhat and my hair just feels very soft and moisturized even w/o me using a leave-in. I prefer to baggy w/o any products because products getting on my scalp make me itch. I've used Saran wrap even a plastic bag as my baggy in lieu of plastic caps. Saran wrap is my favorite baggy method as the plastic lies flat against my head so it's easy to fit under hats and wraps.

It's easy to overmoisturize your hair when baggying so some people complain of having mushy hair when they baggy. I think using less products or none at all could help with that. Also if your hair is wet it can get musty/moldy, I think. I know someone who baggies with Infusium (a protein leave-in) and so perhaps that's one way to avoid mushy hair.

Last edited:
Welcome! First, an oil is not a moisturizer, it seals in the moisture that is already in your hair after you have used a leave in conditioner (moisturizing product). A good moisturising product is water based.

I would suggest what I always do when my hair feels extra dry; clarify, deep condition, and moisturize with a water based product. Using castor oil (which is an extra heavy oil) can cause buildup on your strands that can act as a barracade to moisture getting in.
Use a clarifying shampoo to rid your hair of all the extra product. After, use a deep conditioner and leave on for the recommended time (maybe a little bit more if super dry), rinse and use a good leave in.

Get a trusty spray bottle, fill it up with water and use it on a daily basis to keep your hair moisturized. Our hair loves water because water is nature's best moisturizer!

@Moonpie8 Thank you for the suggestions. What is a aphoghee 2 step treatment is it some type of deep conditioning? I use Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner ( I dont use that for Leave in though) So i guess i dont use anything for leave in ha-ha. I am now natural all the relaxer has been grown out and cut off.

sxynanaplay The aphoghee is a protein treatment.. Sound like you might need to have some protein in your routine. You have a good moisturizer that you are currently using but protein treatment should help.. Hair likes balance :) Yes finding a good leave is good too like i mention Hawaiian silky 14 n 1 and Creme of Nature works good for me but I am sure you will find some things to try and see what your hair likes

I agree with whoever mentioned oil rinses. I do them w/castor oil and it haas helped me to combat very dry 4b hair that would always dry hard.

Aphogee 2step is a very strong protein treatment that (in my experience) will make your hair harder and "stronger". You should probably focus more on moisture. As a new natural u should be careful not to overload on protein which can lead to more breakage. There are balancing prot/moisture conditioners like Aubrey Organics gpb (what I'm using now) or a "milder" protein like Nexxus emergencee

For leave in, I find that leaving a little castor oil on and doing my own mixes work best. Right now I'm doing a modified version of kimmaytubes leave-in (aloe vera juice, jojoba/castor oil/, and my trader joes nourish spa conditioner w/coconut oil & shea butter mixed in). in the past I used elasta qp mango butter w/ coconut oil or shea butter & coconut oil.

You may want to lay off the shampoos and just do co wahes. Shampoo is very stripping and drying-- even when u don't realize it. You may want to shampoo just your scalp (w/diluted shampoo w/a color applicator bottle) and co-wash the rest of your hair.

If u can't go w/o shampooing ur Hair, consider a pre poo (pre shampoo treatment) to prevent your hair from being stripped and give u a boost of moisture. See thread titled, "you need moisture drenched pre poo"

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! From the products u mention I didnt see a moisturizing deep condition! IMO u need moisture not protein! I prepoo with a moisture con and oil, clarify, deep conditioner with a moisture con until ur hair is soft! Then u can start shampoo, deep con with a light protein and followup with moisture dc! Do u use a leave in con?

I wish u the best of luck HHJ!

PS moisture deep conditions
Kenra moisture con
Elucence
SSI Banana Brulee
HV Strinullah (sp)
SE moisture treatment

light protein
ORS hair mayo
ORS replenishing con
Aphogee 2 min
Duo Tex

OP try prepooing with baggying overnight, once you have applied shampoo to the hair simply squeeze out the foam and add conditioner before rinsing, this stops the hair from feeling dried out. Follow with a deep conditioner.

Back