Tips for dicerning between breakage and shedding

CodeRed

Hey ladies :)

I didn't find a thread of this kind (so sorry if there is one). I was wondeirng if we could start a thread to help people dicern between breaking hairs and shed hairs since sometimes it's not so easy.

I'm relaxed (3 months post) and it's pretty easy right now to see what is shed/breakage: The shed hairs are curly at one end, the broken hairs are blunt and straight at both ends. I know this isn't always the case, but generally, for me, that's how it works.

I'd like others to contribute from a natural, freshly relaxed and straight natural standpoint. Maybe this will help people figure out what their real problems are and treat them accordingly.

I'm transitioning, and my shed hairs are usually clumps of 3 or so strands. I usually remove them by finger detangling. My broken hairs are usually tiny. I see more breaking hair since I'm transitioning.

Shed hair is always the length of your strands, and has a root (white bulb) at the tip.

Breakage is usually shorter pieces of hair that do not have a root.

Shed hair is always the length of your strands, and has a root (white bulb) at the tip.

Breakage is usually shorter pieces of hair that do not have a root.

Unless your hair is shedding in the shorter sections (edges, nape). It can look like breakage when its just your shorter hair - it shouldn't be much though.

Unless your hair is shedding in the shorter sections (edges, nape). It can look like breakage when its just your shorter hair - it shouldn't be much though.
It would still have a bulb if your hair is different lengths throughout though. Most people detangle in sections, if one knows the difference between the two it isn't too hard to tell.

Here's my two cents...shed hairs are usually longer, and I see my shed hairs on wash day when detangling and/or rinsing out product. (Of course, if you are not gentle when styling/handling your hair on wash day, you could cause breakage.)

Broken hairs are usually shorter, but you also notice them with less manipulation. For example, when I was younger and my hair was very damaged, I would see small broken hairs on the back of my shirt or on the counter in the bathroom. If you see hairs around the ponytail holder when you take it out, or if you see hair get caught on something like a ring, those are likely broken hairs.

Although we all shed a lot of hairs daily, they are much less noticeable with the exception of wash day.

I can pull long hair out every single day and most of the time I don't see a bulb on the end. I'm still not sure if it's breakage or shedding. I also lose several hairs a day in the same back section of my hair. I'm relaxed so if I see curly and straight, I know it's shed but often it is only straight and long.

Back