Tips and Tricks for Hair BSL and Beyond

Everything Zen

As I have reached BSB length people often ask about my regimen. For the longest time it's been very simple:

1. stretch relaxers (4-5 months)
2. washing 4-5 times a week
3. PROTECTIVE STYLING

I wondered if there are any particular pitfalls to look out for as you work towards MBL and longer?

If anyone has some suggestions to share please advise! :yep:

I have bumped my washing to 2x's a week wondering if I need to bump it to more than that. I am at APL right now but striving for BSL.

As I have reached BSB length people often ask about my regimen. For the longest time it's been very simple:

3. PROTECTIVE STYLING

I wondered if there are any particular pitfalls to look out for as you work towards MBL and longer?

I have been MBL and longer... Keep up the good work (for me). Doing the same things that helped me to obtain the healthy length in the first place. And don't get carelessly lazy.

Helloooooo! We are waiting on you lovely BSL's to give us some advice!!!!!

picture.php

The longest I've grown my hair to is long MBL (few inches from waist). Cut it by choice. I didn't do the protective styling thing until I joined LHCF in 2005, but even then I did it sparingly. My main things for growing to BSL and longer and maintaining are:

*Protective styling...my hair is thick as in there's a lot of hair, but the individual strands are fine. So, it is imperative for me to PS to retain all my length. I have been serious on the PS kick for about 11 mos now since I went back to texlaxing and it helps tremendously. Haven't had to trim but 1/2" during 11 mos. That wasn't really needed, just decided I would.

*Stretching relaxers. I've been doing this for about 4+ years. In that time I've gone from bone straight (relaxed) to natural, to texlaxed. It helped a lot with thickness and reduced my breakage to nearly zero. Most of my problems come from shedding as far as losing hair goes. Reducing the number of chemical applications only has benefits to the hair and scalp, IMO.

*CW's...ditching frequent shampooing has done a lot for my hair. Its stronger, more moisturized. I only use shampoo once a month to get a good cleansing...can't give it up altogether lol.

*Staying out of the salon...it seems all the stylists I've ever had have sacrificed my length in the name of a style or a trim became a cut. I trim my own hair, and will only go to a salon to get braids. Every other thing that may need to be done to my hair style-wise or treatment wise I have taught myself to do (including permanent coloring and relaxers).

Last edited:
I'm almost BSL length I don't know if that counts enough, but went from SL to almost BSL in about a year.

For an entire year, I was on a very strict regime which included

-Baggie bunning/up-dos 24/7
-Co-washing atleast 4 to 5x a week
-DC 2x a week
-NO DIRECT HEAT
-Texlaxing every 2 to 3 months.
-Little to no shampoos due the drying out it does (even the mildest shampoos does this)
-Garlic pills, and pleaty of water

Jewell pretty much hit it on the nail.

To further add

*wash hair in sections to reduce tangling

*deep condition on dry hair, especially protein treatments, and follow with moisture treatments

*the longer the hair gets, the older the ends get, therefore more attention needs to be paid to those ends and moisture

I'm almost BSL length I don't know if that counts enough, but went from SL to almost BSL in about a year.

For an entire year, I was on a very strict regime which included

-Baggie bunning/up-dos 24/7
-Co-washing atleast 4 to 5x a week
-DC 2x a week
-NO DIRECT HEAT
-Texlaxing every 2 to 3 months.
-Little to no shampoos due the drying out it does (even the mildest shampoos does this)
-Garlic pills, and pleaty of water

Has anyone tried cowashing one week to cleanse hair and shampoo the next week. Simply alternating your cowashing and shampooing (and of course dc w/ heat every week)...??? I'm going to attempt to try this for about a month. I need moisture.

Has anyone tried cowashing one week to cleanse hair and shampoo the next week. Simply alternating your cowashing and shampooing (and of course dc w/ heat every week)...??? I'm going to attempt to try this for about a month. I need moisture.

Yes I have. I use 2 shampoo my hair with TJ's Nourish spa shampoo one week, and the next week no shampoo and only co-wash which is just fine. But I'm trying to get to MBL so I'm even stricter. I only use shampoo once a week which has me shedding very little now. Since I DC so often I don't use the heating cap as much anymore, and just do a pre-poo over night, or DC after a co-wash for about an hour.

What is the difference between BSL and MBL? Is MBL at the end of your bra or further down? My hair is past my bra, at the end of the bra; so is that BSL or MBL?

I am queen of the bun and I rarely use direct heat. I was stretching my hair but my hair has recently become so resistant to relaxers it is ridiculous. I got a touch up two weeks ago and my roots are still kink city.

I still don't have a regimen down yet after being underprocessed this time last year. My hair tangles and mattes every time I wash it. Oy vey...

I just cut back to BSL because I'm going for a thick MBL with full ends (my dream hair :)). Low manipulation and protective styling have really helped me to retain length. I comb sparingly and really gently and my hair is always in an updo of some kind. Really take care of the ends of your hair as you grow to longer lengths so moisturise them really well and protect them. Long hair with raggedy ends is not nice.
My regimen now is:
Wash and DC 1x a week
Moisturise daily
Protective style

3. PROTECTIVE STYLING

by washing do you mean shampooing or cowashing?

Jewell pretty much hit it on the nail.

To further add

*wash hair in sections to reduce tangling

*deep condition on dry hair, especially protein treatments, and follow with moisture treatments

*the longer the hair gets, the older the ends get, therefore more attention needs to be paid to those ends and moisture
:yep: All that, all that. Honestly there isn't a whole lot that should change as far as your routine. If it worked for you get get to BSB/BSL, same things should work to get you to MBL and beyond. I'm a bunner, cowasher and dc'er. I say baby those ends and KIM. You should be fine.

I've noticed when I apply moisturizers to my ends then seal with oil, some strands come out. So do you all experience the same...??? Or am I just being rough-handed? :sad:

The longest I've grown my hair to is long MBL (few inches from waist). Cut it by choice. I didn't do the protective styling thing until I joined LHCF in 2005, but even then I did it sparingly. My main things for growing to BSL and longer and maintaining are:

*Protective styling...my hair is thick as in there's a lot of hair, but the individual strands are fine. So, it is imperative for me to PS to retain all my length. I have been serious on the PS kick for about 11 mos now since I went back to texlaxing and it helps tremendously. Haven't had to trim but 1/2" during 11 mos. That wasn't really needed, just decided I would.

*Stretching relaxers. I've been doing this for about 4+ years. In that time I've gone from bone straight (relaxed) to natural, to texlaxed. It helped a lot with thickness and reduced my breakage to nearly zero. Most of my problems come from shedding as far as losing hair goes. Reducing the number of chemical applications only has benefits to the hair and scalp, IMO.

*CW's...ditching frequent shampooing has done a lot for my hair. Its stronger, more moisturized. I only use shampoo once a month to get a good cleansing...can't give it up altogether lol.

*Staying out of the salon...it seems all the stylists I've ever had have sacrificed my length in the name of a style or a trim became a cut. I trim my own hair, and will only go to a salon to get braids. Every other thing that may need to be done to my hair style-wise or treatment wise I have taught myself to do (including permanent coloring and relaxers).

Thank you for this ITA:yep:.

I never really changed my routine, I always try to keep it simple. What helped me is low manipulation and simple styling. I wear a messy bun everyday (very elegant by the way ;) ) ...and I barely touch my hair during the week.

Keep an idea in your mind of what particular ingredients (not just products) that work for you (keeping a product journal helped me with this). That way, you can easily identify products that have a high probability of working for your hair if for some reason your regular products are not available. I think that this approach can help prevent a major setback.

I'm about an inch from full WL and have had success with this regimen:

* Healthy Lifestyle which includes regular exercise, healthy diet, drinking plenty of water, getting enough sleep and avoiding stress

* Moisture, especially the ends

* No Direct Heat

* Stretching texlax touchups to 3 months

* Low Manipulation, which means I co-wash once a week (with VO5 or Suave), moisturize my ends at bedtime, and then leave my hair alone.

* Protection, which includes wearing a silk/satin scarf and/or bonnet at bedtime, keeping ends off shoulders/clothing/rough surfaces to protect hair from breakage, protecting hair from unnecessary trimming (sometimes a problem with stylists).

I wear "protective styles" only 50 percent of the time, not for protection but because I like updos sometimes. I enjoy the length of my hair, and since I keep my ends moisturized, I have not had a problem with length retention.

I plan to continue these practices as I reach and maintain my ultimate goal of full hipbone length.

* Healthy Lifestyle which includes regular exercise, healthy diet, drinking plenty of water, getting enough sleep and avoiding stress

* No Direct Heat

* Low Manipulation, which means I co-wash once a week (with VO5 or Suave), moisturize my ends at bedtime, and then leave my hair alone.

* Protection, which includes wearing a silk/satin scarf and/or bonnet at bedtime, keeping ends off shoulders/clothing/rough surfaces to protect hair from breakage, protecting hair from unnecessary trimming (sometimes a problem with stylists).

I wear "protective styles" only 50 percent of the time, not for protection but because I like updos sometimes. I enjoy the length of my hair, and since I keep my ends moisturized, I have not had a problem with length retention.

I plan to continue these practices as I reach and maintain my ultimate goal of full hipbone length.

Prospurr, I'm sure you'll make WL before you know it. As I've said before, you have beautiful hair...!!! :yep:

Yeah, I have done this. But I have that as long as I listen to my hair, I don't need a precise schedule with shampooing as much. I can go longer with cowashing and sometime not. Depends on the season too.

* No Direct Heat

Prospurr4, I just had to shout you out. You are already WL?! I love your progress and how consistent you've been! Keep it up, 'cause it motivates me.

Back