Time to stop lurking...Permed 4b's HELP!!

rhondamarie76

Hey ladies,

I've been lurking for a while... actually quite a while. I've been a member for almost a year and this is my first post. I know I should be :spank:

Well here's my 1st post and question... First some background... I was natural for about 3 years. I'm a 4b. I would wear my hair in twists and had finally gotten down a routine and figured out what products would work and had some serious growth (Kemi oyl pomade, Elasta QP mango butter, carol's daughter Mimosa hair honey, ORS hair shine, Pantene hydrating curls, biotin shampoos and conditioners). But I ended up perming again. I caved because of the ridcule I got from my ex-husband and the difficulty I found in finding a job.

Now that I'm permed again my hair has extreme breakage and I'm about to loose my length. I was actually considering going natural again, but I would really like to learn how to take care of my hair in its permed state. I was never really able to figure out the best products that would keep my hair healthy while permed. I've tried using some of the products I used when I was natural, but it seems too heavy. I've tried a few jheri curl products, pantene naturals, motions products (which seem to work against me except for the conditioners).

I've been perming on my own with Motions and my hair is dry and brittle. The ends are shot and I've got severe breakage around my nape. One thing that I learned while being natural is that less manipulation and a good routine is best for health and growth but it's kind of hard to do that with a perm.

Can someone help me out. I will post some pics soon. I've been loving the site!!! :bouncy:

Sounds like you need some clipping, some protien treatments , some moisture.

It isnt hard to get a good routine with relaxed hair.. We all do it.. Just need to take the time to take care of it. Sounds like you might need to do a little work for a while to get your hair in shape..

There are a lot of ladies here that do low manipulation on their relaxed hair. Im sure some of the queens will be in here to help ya out.. :)

Thanks, Khandi. You're right, especially about the clipping. I just hate to do it uuuuugggghhh!! :cry: :covereyes:

I was thinking of doing the growafrohairlong technique for a while. Braids worked really well when I was natural. But it seems like nothing that worked when I was natural works now...

I say give your hair a rest...either with braids or protective styles. Like Khandi said, protein treatments & moisture should help a lot too. Did you use motions relaxer before you went natural? How did your hair react to it then?

I've used Motions for years and have never had a problem. If you're going to continue perming I would suggest going to a professional. Seems like you can't afford to keep experimenting with your hair, hoping that it turns out right.

MizAvalon said:
I've used Motions for years and have never had a problem. If you're going to continue perming I would suggest going to a professional. Seems like you can't afford to keep experimenting with your hair, hoping that it turns out right.

MizAvalon,

Thanks for the info. I guess everyone's hair is different. And not everyone will have the same result from the same product. I've had the same luck with a professional styling my hair with a motions relaxer.

I'm not the experimenting type. :confused: :ohwell: I've used other perms before with much better results... African Pride, Optimum, Dark & Lovely, and Creme of Nature. The only problem with those is that they are no-lye. I prefer to use professional perms that are less drying. And being that my virgin relaxer was a professional motions relaxer, I'd prefer to stick with professional versions if I can find them. Unfortunately Motions is not the one that's the best for me. Their conditioners seem pretty good though.

Phoenix said:
I say give your hair a rest...either with braids or protective styles. Like Khandi said, protein treatments & moisture should help a lot too. Did you use motions relaxer before you went natural? How did your hair react to it then?

No, I'd never used a Motions relaxer. When I got my first perm after being natural for 3 years, that's what my stylist used so I just stuck with it. But even then I notice it being dry and brittle. But I thought maybe it was something that I was doing at home.

What's a good daily moisturizer and protein conditioner?

Hello and welcome to the board! I know the problem I had with relax hair was I just didn't know how to care for it. After I found hair boards, I realize I needed to deep condition my hair at least once a week and the key was to moisturize. Before hair boards I did not moisturize or use protein treatments. When I came to the board I was experiencing breakage and dryness. I'm still trying to find a good daily moisturizer but one that I use is mango butter and I like nexxus emergencee. HTH

Hi. Welcome to LHCF! I was in the same boat you are in now. I had SEVERE breakage when I was relaxed. I used aphogee treatment for damaged hair. It did stop my breakage for a couple of days then my hair started breaking again because thats how damaged my hair was. But for it to stop my breakage for only a couple of days I realized it had to be a good treatment thats how serious my breakage was. After you shampoo your hair put the treatment in (im warning you it stinks though) sit under a dryer with it DONT put on a plastic cap. It has to harden your hair. After it is dry then you wash it out and you MUST use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards or else it will leave your hair hard. I havent used garlic shampoo but I have heard its good for excessive hair loss maybe you can try that. And moisturize every day. Excessive dryness could be the reason your hair is breaking a lot also. If you stretch your relaxer always make sure you moisturize the new growth to prevent breakage at the demarcation line where the new growth and relaxed hair meet. A lot of relaxed heads on the board use S curl moisturizer I like it on my natural hair never used it on my relaxed. Maybe you need a trim as well to get rid of the damaged ends. If your hair is severely damaged you might have to start over by cutting it. Hopefully it wont boil down to that. I cant recommend any perms though. All I know is that when I used cream of nature I didn't have any problems with my hair and im 4b as well. Maybe you should go to a professional to get your hair relaxed instead of doing it yourself. HTH :)

I'm a relaxed 4b. I use a wide-toothed comb and I don't brush my hair. Remember to tie your hair up before bed every night. I tie my hair in a silk scarf that I got from http://www.tenderheaded.com/solidsilkscarf.html.

Moisture is important, too. It will prevent breakage and you'll get fewer split ends when you find the right moisturizer.

I get my hair relaxed at a salon because I'm afraid to do it myself, but some of the ladies on this board relax their own hair and their hair looks beautiful.

Last edited:
I agree with the other posters--moisturize, silk scarf, protein. Be careful of the protein though. You don't want to overdue it. That'll make things worse. BTW I use Clairol's texture & tones relaxer.

Ladies, thanks for all your advice and comments!!! I've gone out and purchased some really good stuff in addition to what I have. Hope to have some good results to post soon! :D

Our hair type REALLY needs moisture. I had always had VERY DRY hair until recently when I finally found products that my hair LOVES and that keep my hair soft.

I do a hot oil treatment (preshampoo) with amla or EVOO
I deep condition with Kenra MC, ORS RP or AO ultra smoothing
Protein I use AO GPB, Affirm 5 in 1 and I'm about to try Emergencee
I rotate the days: one day I use BB oil lotion and the other my spray mixture (scurl (IN GREY BOTTLE), water, AO ultra smoothing conditioner, safflower oil, surge).

Back