ThrowBack Hairstyles

TinyBlu

I started a thread like this when I first joined LHCF (under a different name) and thought it would be fun to revive it.

This post is going to be REALLY interesting for those of us over 30.

Soooo.... what hairstyles did you rock back in the day that you just KNEW you were cute but damaging your hair the whole time?:

Who had the Jheri curl? I begged my parents to let me get one because it made your hair grow!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

What about the asymetrical haircuts? Yep! I rocked the stacks on the left with the back shaved (complete with a rat tail) and I had my right eye covered like AAliyah!!!

Remember mushrooms? Or were you one of the ones that had your hair cut short in the front with the part hanging down in the back to show your length? You just KNEW you were fine!

We're not even gonna talk about the men's haircuts (hi top fades, steps, gumbies, reagans....) What were we thinking???:lachen::lachen:

Nothing vastly different here, I just hated my huge bang I had when I was 9! What was my mother thinking!?

Oh I had a curl for YEARS!!!!! I even had the curl up to 8th grade, then got a relaxer, then went BACK to the curl in 9th grade (I had to do a BC - before I even know what that was - needless to say I started 9th grade with a 1 inch long jheri curl - not a good year :nono:) - then in 11th grade went back to the relaxer.

French rolls baby!! I LOVED THEM! It was the easiest hair to take care of; I kept that hairstyle for two weeks. My hair actually grew pretty long as well.

2 words THE FAN! I always had mine in the fan hairstlye with the bangs. I would curl the ends(not before adding spritz and hair spray so it would sizzle!). To top it off I had burnt ear tips from the curling iron :rolleyes: :nono:

Jeri Curl - Begged my mother for this and regretted this very much. (Felt so oily, wet and gross. Wanted to take a bath every minute plus my skin broke out.)

Koolaid Bangs:
Colored my bangs a different color every week.

Shaggy Hair bangs:
Wasn't really neat...a huge fluff

179283634_37c41bc707_m.jpg

Dookie Braids

Cornrows with beads/gold leafs

The Hallie Berry

80's Flip

Asymmetric Bob

Braids weighed down with a whole lotta beads
teased out, poufed out punk hair with lots of hairspray to keep it in place
Jeri Curl
Relaxed pixie cut (right on top of the jeri curl perm in which all my hair fell out a few weeks later)

Nothing vastly different here, I just hated my huge bang I had when I was 9! What was my mother thinking!?

My father wouldn't allow me to cut "my glory", so my bangs hung down to my chest. I used to finger roll them and have that big puff in the front.

How about coming home after school and sticking that sponge roller in the front to keep them curly!!:lachen::lachen:

I had a jeri curl, but that was not by choice. That was mom's decision. I wanted long, relaxed hair like my Aunt Jean and the women of color on television. But no, she just had to put a jeri curl in my hair. I disliked it so much I got really lazy about putting the activator on and a section of hair in the back broke off. I know a lot of ladies swear by S Curl & Carefree Curl, but I can't. I just can't do it. I haven't had enough therapy to deal with the memories the scent alone would bring up.

I had a *bit* of a hair dye addiction. My hair at various times was various shades of red, had a thick blonde streak in the front, black hair, fuscia hair, brown hair, etc. And all while wearing it relaxed. Did I take a break? No. Was I dying it a different color once every month? Yes. How my hair only broke off twice is beyond me.

I wore bantu knots in college, but they were waaaaaaaaaay too tight to the point that I wouldn't even call it a protective style.

2 words: brown gel. I thought it was the best thing ever. AND when I wanted to change things up, I'd comb through the gelled up hair. Not only that, I'd use a curling iron too. Something in the back of my mine told me that wasn't a good idea, but I didn't seem to care.

As a child of African parents, Nigerian to be exact I hated the Threaded hairstyles that looked like spider legs (they always stuck up) :lol:. My braids never laid down flat either so I always looked like I had just put my fingers in a live electrical socket :rolleyes:

A barrel roll pony tail - my cousin taught me how to use brown gel and a wet hair brush to mold all my hair to my scalp, secure it in a bun on top, then use that same nasty brown gel, and the plastic yellow snap rollers to curl up my tracks. Pop those tracks in the microwave for a few minutes then voila! curly pony tail. I wore this religiously.

Oh and remember covering your bun with a sock? My mom had to buy me extra socks so that I could have all different colors to match my clothes.

And then there was the baby hair and the gel. Why oh why oh why did i want that El Debarge look, I'll never know. And sadly there were girls at my school who would dip into their hairline and gel down 2-3 inches of hair to make it look like they had super long baby hair.:nono:

oh goodness...the horrible hairstyles galore

i had a jherri curl in 2nd grade (mind you, this is after the jherri fad has gone out)

fingerwaves.
the "scrunch" (is that what it was called? like fingerwaves, it was done with lots and lots of brown gel)

hahahaha...funny ponytail styles: there was one where you'd curl the pony tail and fan it out and it looked like you had a "chinese fan" on top of your head...or the "i dont have much of a ponytail, so i'm going to cover it up with 10 big scrunchies to make it look like i have a full bun" style. didnt do those too much, but i remember a lot of other girls having it.

my main style was the classic wrap. sometimes i'd use the curling iron to get curlier styles...ok maybe i used the curling iron TOO much.

man...the horror of it all.

Rocked:

Huge 80s bangs
A Long Asymmetric Bob
Dookie braids
French rolls with pin curls
Roller Sets
High Ponytails
Cornrows with beads
Baby curly fro (1976-1977)
Mushroom
Halle Berry
fingerwaves/scrunch

Thankfully, I Didn't Rock:

Kool-Aid Hair
Jheri Curls

Rocked:

Huge 80s bangs
A Long Asymmetric Bob
Dookie braids
French rolls with pin curls
Roller Sets
High Ponytails
Cornrows with beads
Baby curly fro (1976-1977)
Mushroom
Halle Berry
fingerwaves/scrunch

Thankfully, I Didn't Rock:

Kool-Aid Hair
Jheri Curls

All the above..and to take it a step further..finger waves in the front...scr
unch in the middle..hair.. left "out" in the back, with rainbow, silver, or gold glitter spray to top the whole thing off..:lachen:

Let's see where to begin?

Pineapple waves
Jheri Curl
Salt and Pepa haircut (with shaved eyebrow)
Microwave ponytail
Fingerwaves
80's Grace Jones hair cut (don't ask)
braids ( with and without colored ribbons braided in)
weave with glue ( the horror)
Fade (I know I know)
Afro
Pony tails with multicolor cotton ribbons
Beads braided at the scalp ( those where fun to sleep on)
I think that's it for now. Now wonder I'm not bald dang.

oh goodness...the horrible hairstyles galore

i had a jherri curl in 2nd grade (mind you, this is after the jherri fad has gone out)

fingerwaves.
the "scrunch" (is that what it was called? like fingerwaves, it was done with lots and lots of brown gel)

hahahaha...funny ponytail styles: there was one where you'd curl the pony tail and fan it out and it looked like you had a "chinese fan" on top of your head...or the "i dont have much of a ponytail, so i'm going to cover it up with 10 big scrunchies to make it look like i have a full bun" style. didnt do those too much, but i remember a lot of other girls having it.

my main style was the classic wrap. sometimes i'd use the curling iron to get curlier styles...ok maybe i used the curling iron TOO much.

man...the horror of it all.

I did those. AND had a billion bobby pins stuck all over the place keeping the rest hair down, in addition to the brown gel. Sure, I could've accepted the fact that my hair was just way too short for a ponytail, but that was just crazy thinking right there.

I need to get out of this thread, it's bring up too many traumatic memories. :laugh:

What about the Janet Jackson/Shenaenae braids with the wooden beads on the end?! In high school the big thing was fishbone braids to the side with baby hairs. Burgundy/purple hair dyea anyone lol. I really don't know what I was thinking :nono:

Back