Those with texturizers

Eiano

Isn't it basically a jherri curl? Well anywayy... I'm interested in getting one. Can someone give me tips on how you do yours? What texturizer do u use? When u wash your hair, does your hair go back to natural or does it remain curls? Do you get to choose how tight you want the curls or no. ANY HELP AT ALL PLEASE!!!!

Thanks!

I think jehri curls were applied with perm rods and a certain type of solution that is different from (and incompatible with) relaxers. I'm not sure though, so I hope someone else will jump in and explain.

However, I understand a texturizer to be a relaxer that is applied for a shorter amount of time than is needed to make the hair bone straight, or limp. I consider myself to have a texturizer. I leave my relaxer on just long enough to make my hair "flatter" than it would be without a relaxer, and I maintain much of my wave pattern in the process. This allows me to add gel to my hair and scrunch it when I want to wear a curly look, or to leave it alone when I want waves.

If I brush or comb it after it is air dries, it is completely straight. To make it even flatter and sleeker, I can either wear it up for a few hours then take it down, or flat iron it.
smile.gif

That's cool! Which texturizer do you use? Do you find that your hair is at all greasy? How long have you had a texturizer? What happens when your natural growth begins to come out: Do you just brush it out, or try to conceal it? Have you ever worn braids with your texturizer?

THANKS FRIEND:)

i dont have a jerri curl, im not sure how thats done, but mine looks nothing like it. lol

i used s-curl texturizer

i basically just followed the instructions and comberd it in, nothing special

you can determin how tight the curls/waves are by how long you leave it in. the way s-curl works, you can see the curl formation you are going to have as you process your hair
when i wash, my hair gets straight, then as it dries...it gets the curl formations

A texturizer is not at all like a jheri curl. A jheri curl uses a chemical called ammonium thioglycolate, which is not at all compatipal with a relaxer. Relaxers use either sodium hydroxide (lye) or calcium hydoroxide (no lye) to straighten the hair. A texturizer is the same chemical as a relaxer, only it's not left on as long. All a texturizer does is slightly relax your natural wave pattern, therefore you cannot get out of a texturizer what you don't already have naturally. So if your hair doesn't wave naturally, a texturizer will not suddenly produce waves.

You can find more info about texturizers at the following links: jazma.com wash and wear relaxer (be sure to read the FAQ section) and Curve Salon silkener (be sure to look at the before and after pics!
smile.gif
) Hope this helps!
wink.gif

Mine doesn't look like a jheri curl either. It's dry to the touch and soft. I don't need curl activator to get curl. I can also wear it straight. I've heard that it wasn't advisable to wear the jheri curl straight. Don't know if it's true. I've never had one.

1 more question... Arent most texturizers made for men? (such as S Curl) So, say I wanted to do it on my own, COULD I buy one with 2 men on the box posing like their life depended on it. Hahahaha:)

no. as the other posters already mentioned the texturizers you are referring to are not what is meant by the term texturizer as it is used on this board. ANY mild, lye relaxer product can be used to texturize the hair. You simply shorten the processing time. If a mild relaxer is whats in the containers those men are on, knock yourself out.

Do a search on the word texturizer (change the date range to a year or so} for more info on texturizers.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Eiano said:
That's cool! Which texturizer do you use? Do you find that your hair is at all greasy? How long have you had a texturizer? What happens when your natural growth begins to come out: Do you just brush it out, or try to conceal it? Have you ever worn braids with your texturizer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Soft & Beautiful No-Lye Relaxer in Regular strength. I leave it on for the amount of time for "normal" hair and do not comb it through -- I just smooth it with my hands the last couple of minutes of processing. The result is that it makes my hair flatter, but does not destroy the natural wave pattern, which is like a stretched out "S".

I don't use any greasy products in my hair, so it is never greasy.

I've been relaxing my own hair this way for more than ten years. I just didn't discover it was called "texturizing" until I started visiting hair boards in the late 90s.
laugh.gif

There is no discernable difference between my new growth and my processed hair, other than that about four months after I touch-up, I can feel my roots begin to get "poofy" and my hair suddenly looks thicker than I'd like. So, that's when I do another touch-up. The "poofiness" never makes my hair hard to style or comb, and it doesn't cause breakage, etc., -- it just annoys me.
smile.gif

I've never worn braids (if you mean extensions), but I believe that many relaxed/texturized women here at LHCF wear them. I'm not sure if that is damaging or not though.

I hope this helps.
smile.gif

Back