Those With Scalp Issues: Check Your Technique

newsgrl

Hi Ladies! I just wanted to share something with the ladies who may be experiencing scalp issues such as dryness, psoriasis, etc. Over the years, I had the driest scalp...to the point where I actually thought I had a problem. (I had small white patches of "skin" especially in the crown of my head.) So I went to a "hair expert" and more recently, a dermatologist, to diagnose the problem. She looked at it and said, "You have scarring alopecia." She made this diagnosis without taking a small sample of the area, looking at it under a microscope- you know, the little thing you expect doctors to do. So she proceeded to give me a few prescriptions, and I took them without any real progress.

Well recently while doing my hair, something told me not to massage the conditioner into the scalp like they do at salons. (I know you ladies have preached this for a while, but for some of us, it takes a while to REALLY get it.) When I stopped massaging in conditioner (and allowing my stylist to do the same), the problems completely stopped. The "white patches" on my scalp were not pieces of skin, but dried conditioner that had accumulated over time. (Had the derm taken a sample, maybe she would have seen that and I wouldn't have spent money on overly priced medicine.) My scalp no longer itches, and it is looking clean and healthy. I no longer use Nizoral, Neutrogena T-Gel...or any of the other stuff for "scalp psoriasis". Hopefully, this means the "scarring alopecia" was a misdiagnosis as well.

I'm saying all that to say this: Change your technique before going to the doctor. And if that doesn't work, THEN go for medical help.

I now coat my scalp with Dabur Vatika after shampooing, and then apply conditioner ONLY to the length of my hair, and it has definitely been a change for the better.

It just upsets me that I had been massaging conditioner into my scalp for years...but as Maya Angelou says, "When you learn betta, you do betta."

Hopefully, this will help someone else...

Good post. We don't realize ho so many products made for the hair can irritate the scalp. I sometimes put things in my hair and if it touches the scalp, it itches and feels raw.

Thanks for sharing your story. I will have to try this. Also, I feel that the SLS in my shampoo may be aggravating my scalp. After a few days, it smells strange and produces brownish flakes (not white). :perplexed It itches too, but the worst part is the smell. It's not strong, but I know me, and if I can smell it, maybe others can, too. Oh dear. :ohwell:

Thanks for sharing this! I remember someone else posting a similar thread and since then I rinse my scalp with water using an applicator bottle just to make sure I get it all out. I also dilute my chelating shampoo, apply it with an applicator, and let it sit to break down any particles on my scalp.

Good information. And it brings an even more important issue to the top - stop going to these doctors and letting them make a blanket diagnosis. Make them accountable for the care that we receive.

Tebby

Hi Ladies! I just wanted to share something with the ladies who may be experiencing scalp issues such as dryness, psoriasis, etc. Over the years, I had the driest scalp...to the point where I actually thought I had a problem. (I had small white patches of "skin" especially in the crown of my head.) So I went to a "hair expert" and more recently, a dermatologist, to diagnose the problem. She looked at it and said, "You have scarring alopecia." She made this diagnosis without taking a small sample of the area, looking at it under a microscope- you know, the little thing you expect doctors to do. So she proceeded to give me a few prescriptions, and I took them without any real progress.

Well recently while doing my hair, something told me not to massage the conditioner into the scalp like they do at salons. (I know you ladies have preached this for a while, but for some of us, it takes a while to REALLY get it.) When I stopped massaging in conditioner (and allowing my stylist to do the same), the problems completely stopped. The "white patches" on my scalp were not pieces of skin, but dried conditioner that had accumulated over time. (Had the derm taken a sample, maybe she would have seen that and I wouldn't have spent money on overly priced medicine.) My scalp no longer itches, and it is looking clean and healthy. I no longer use Nizoral, Neutrogena T-Gel...or any of the other stuff for "scalp psoriasis". Hopefully, this means the "scarring alopecia" was a misdiagnosis as well.

I'm saying all that to say this: Change your technique before going to the doctor. And if that doesn't work, THEN go for medical help.

I now coat my scalp with Dabur Vatika after shampooing, and then apply conditioner ONLY to the length of my hair, and it has definitely been a change for the better.

It just upsets me that I had been massaging conditioner into my scalp for years...but as Maya Angelou says, "When you learn betta, you do betta."

Hopefully, this will help someone else...

I went through this too. I just learned the same thing this month from Lisa Akbari's book. She said that "negative" buildup of stuff will have you thinking that you have dandruff when really you don't and it causes scalp damage. I have changed my technique as well in washing my hair to stop this too. Thanks for posting you story.

Back