Those who weave

alexa

I was looking at some of the past post on weaves, thought I would share my experiences.

I love my weaves (love 'em, love 'em) and I don't care what my stylist says (You don't need them! Your hair is long enough!).

Here are some things I thought would help others who weave.
1. Cornrow based only.
2. Before you put your hair on, go to the craft store and get a bottle of "fray stopper" and put it on both sides of the weft, this stopped my weaves from shedding so fast.
3. Actually, you CAN deep condition your weave (human hair). I do all the time. It helps stop the tangling and it keeps your natural hair healthy. You'll have to find a good conditioner that rinses clearly from the hair (no cholesterol). (Human hair is made of the same properties as out own hair, so it made sense to treat it the same way I would my natural hair--and don't laught, but I even use a reconstructor on my weave!)
4.When you wash the weave, spray your hair down with a conditioner/water combination first (keeps the hair from tangling) and braid your hair up before you wash it (also stops tangles). Rinse your hair through with a shampoo diluted in water.
5. Spray your hair down with a leave-in conditioner. Spray it down anyways on a daily basis AND use an oil moisturizer. (I do this twice a day).
6.When you go to bed, always braid your hair into two large braids. This seriously stopped the tangling for me.
7.Don't brush your weave at all. The hair will break off. Don't sleep in wet hair, it will matte and tangle.
8.Actually, I blow dry my weaves. It works pretty well for me, but I don't dry them out all the way.

Following all these steps, I've been able to keep weaves in good condition for three months or more.

I get all my hair at His and Her Hair Goods. They are on-line and of all the weave products I've tried, theirs are the best.

i will add to wash and deep condition with high quality products at least 2 weeks leading up to the weave and on the day of the weave oil the whole scalp with an anti-itch serum!

Thanks for the tip. I love my weave too. How do you deep condition? What do you use. I have been getting some success with some of the things you shared already. I also use S-curl no drip activator after I wash to calm scalp itch befor I blow dry it works wonders. What brand of hair do you use. I am thinking about ordering Custom Crowns from Atlanta.

I love the sew in weaves for the instant length you can gain, however, I do not like how they thin the natural hair once removing /images/graemlins/frown.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
AmilLion said:
I love the sew in weaves for the instant length you can gain, however, I do not like how they thin the natural hair once removing /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They make your hair thin????? /images/graemlins/blush.gif OH no...maybe I should remove mine??? I've just had it for a week. The purpose of it was for it to grow..not thin out??!!

everyone is different. weaves can be damaging like everything else if they are not properly cared for or if they put "stress" on your hair (too long, too heavy, etc.) in some cases if they are worn constantly as well. they are fun, but you have to be extra careful with your hair while wearing them. and yes, they thin out some folks hair, but everyone is different. it doesn't happen to everyone. it also can be the hair you use that will thin your hair out as well. there are pros and cons with weaves just like with braids, twists, relaxers and any other hairstyle. be sure to use nice hair. i purchase mine from adorable hair do in nyc. i believe they have a website but there are many other places as well.

I usually deep condition my hair with any brand I have avaliable (right now I am using the UBH conditioner). I also use a reconstructor every so often by Fantasia IC. I use His and Her hair (the regular grade) because it is reasonably priced and it doesn't tangle if you really take care of it. I process my conditioners with a heated conditioning cap.

I am going to order my hair from now on. I can't find the quality that I really want. I am getting such good growth. I am going to deep condition on my next wash ans let you know how it goes.

kia said:
AmilLion said:

[/ QUOTE ]

They make your hair thin????? /images/graemlins/blush.gif OH no...maybe I should remove mine??? I've just had it for a week. The purpose of it was for it to grow..not thin out??!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that the extended wear of weaves (lets say over a year) thinned out "my" hair. Initially when "I" started wearing weaves, my hair was growing in thick and long, then over a period of time, the ends began to look damaged and thinned out. I don't know why, but I attributed this to the hair being "tied" up for so long. Personally, I'm against hair extensions for a period over a 6 months from "my" personal experience as well as friends.

AmilLion:

Why only six months. I have been weaving a weve almost 41/2 months I usually go 3 months then press then another 3months. But this time I was planning on a year and then wearing my own hair for a few months and then back in the weave for another year. Do you think my ends will thin out?

Back