Those that are transitioning...

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Have you guys started kinda planning what you are going to use on your hair after all of your relaxed ends are gone?? If so, what's on your list? I think I'm definitely gonna get that SCurl..not sure what else though.. besides coconut oil..

One more question..once the relaxed ends are gone.. usually is your hair curlier than with the relaxed ends there? Does that make sense?

I'm not sure how long I'm gonna transition..sometimes I get anxious to have the relaxed part be gone..but, I went to an Egyptian salon last week and my hair turned out so good.. I forgot how pretty it can be when it is straight.. I think I'm going to transition until my hair reaches at least the middle of my neck unstretched.. Maybe in a few months, I can start saving and plan to do a BC at Curve..that would be nice... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

I will not be doing any more chemical services in my hair after my relaxed hair is cut off. My hair does get curlier when the relaxed hair is cut off. Right now, I chose to cut the relaxed part of the nape section off my hair. That way I can find out what hair type I definatley have. In the back portion of my hair I am a 3B hairtype. Waiting patiently to find out the rest of the results.

[ QUOTE ]
I will not be doing any more chemical services in my hair after my relaxed hair is cut off. My hair does get curlier when the relaxed hair is cut off. Right now, I chose to cut the relaxed part of the nape section off my hair. That way I can find out what hair type I definatley have. In the back portion of my hair I am a 3B hairtype. Waiting patiently to find out the rest of the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long are you going to transition LadyCapri?

I think my nape may be 3b..but the rest of my hair..I'm pretty sure.. is 3C

[ QUOTE ]
Have you guys started kinda planning what you are going to use on your hair after all of your relaxed ends are gone?? If so, what's on your list? I think I'm definitely gonna get that SCurl..not sure what else though.. besides coconut oil..

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi RushGirl /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I pretty much plan to use the same products that I'm using now after my transition.
Vatika
Coconut Oil
Shea Butter
Dabur Amla Oil
Asha's Naturals Sunkissed

Conditioners
Aubrey Organics GPB
Suave Tropical Coconut

ACV rinses to clarify

As I'm typing this...I'm doing a protein treatment with natural henna...so if all goes well...I am saying bub bye to Aubrey Organics GPB...and I'll just use henna once every couple of months. /images/graemlins/up.gif I might add another moisturizing conditioner into the mix. I'm also going to try out Asha's Mane Attraction soon. I have been using Sunkissed for about a week now...and my hair is lovin it. It's nice to use when I'm lazy...and don't feel like liquifying my shea butter or coconut oil. I have never been to an Egyptian salon before. Now you have me curious... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on transitioning 8 months longer. I take off a little bit of hair at a time. Approximately one inch for every two months so that I don't miss as much hair on my hair and can maintain a bun. Then, when June 2005 comes I will do the final cut.

You may not need a texurizer at all. Naturallycurly.com has some good hair product recommendations for your hairtype. Just something to think about.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on transitioning 8 months longer. I take off a little bit of hair at a time. Approximately one inch for every two months so that I don't miss as much hair on my hair and can maintain a bun. Then, when June 2005 comes I will do the final cut.

You may not need a texurizer at all. Naturallycurly.com has some good hair product recommendations for your hairtype. Just something to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I will texturize or not..it all depends once I cut all of the relaxed ends off.. I really don't plan on it..but I will if I think I have to. I would love to go to Curve though just to see what they would do with my hair..

I visit naturallycurly.com all the time.. between them and this site...I just want to buy all sorts of stuff..lol

I haven't had a haircut since last March.. I will get one though prolly before the end of the month and maybe have at least 2-2.5 inches cut off.. I think..lol

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi RushGirl /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I pretty much plan to use the same products that I'm using now after my transition.
Vatika
Coconut Oil
Shea Butter
Dabur Amla Oil
Asha's Naturals Sunkissed

Conditioners
Aubrey Organics GPB
Suave Tropical Kiwi
Suave Mango Peach

ACV rinses to clarify

As I'm typing this...I'm doing a protein treatment with natural henna...so if all goes well...I am saying bub bye to Aubrey Organics GPB...and I'll just use henna once every couple of months. /images/graemlins/up.gif I might add another moisturizing conditioner into the mix. I'm also going to try out Asha's Mane Attraction soon. I have been using Sunkissed for about a week now...and my hair is lovin it. It's nice to use when I'm lazy...and don't feel like liquifying my shea butter or coconut oil. I have never been to an Egyptian salon before. Now you have me curious... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this natural henna adding color to your hair or is it like the neutral type?

What is this Asha's stuff?? Do tell girl!!! lol

Yah, they did a really good job on my hair at that Egyptian salon.. I forgot how pretty my straight hair was..I hardly do much to it anymore.. but I have always wanted curly hair.. so at least now I know that I can have both! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Is this natural henna adding color to your hair or is it like the neutral type?

What is this Asha's stuff?? Do tell girl!!! lol

Yah, they did a really good job on my hair at that Egyptian salon.. I forgot how pretty my straight hair was..I hardly do much to it anymore.. but I have always wanted curly hair.. so at least now I know that I can have both! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The henna is adding color to my hair. The name of it is Kimia. I purchased it from http://www.everydayhenna.com . The lady that runs the website is a member here too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Her site is the most detailed site that I have come across about henna.

Asha is also a member here...and on nappturality.com that ventured out and made her own products (all natural). http://www.ashasnaturals.com I was using Carol's Daughter products which I liked alot...but I was running pretty low (on product and on cash)...so I decided to try something less expensive. The sunkssed is a pomade. It is very light...and to me it smells like juicy fruit gum. It's moisturizing..and absorbs well compared to other products that I have tried. You know how some products just weigh your relaxed ends down? I didn't get that with her stuff. I can't wait to try the Mane Attaction. So many raves about that product.

I think that is one of the perks of being natural. You can be straight one day...and curly the next. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for those sites.. they are both very cool..and when I have some cash.. they will have a new customer.. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif That pompade sounds AWESOME!

I think you texture is more defined when you cut your relaxed ends off because those ends pull down on the hair. When they're cut off, your hair takes a new shape. When I started cutting my relaxed ends off, my curls got coilier from shrinkage. As far as products, I love sticking with natural ingredients. You always know what's in it, and you can always tweek things with fragrances and other added ingredients for more benefits. My staples are:

Unrefined Shea Butter
Apple Cidar Vinegar
Baking Soda
Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
Sweet Almond Oil
Coconut Oil
Rosemary Essential Oil
Lavendar Essential Oil
Peppermint Essential Oil
Let's Jam Hair Gel
Powdered Goats Milk
Unrefined Cocoa Butter

Basically from this list I make my own products. Conditioners, Butter moisturizers, milk detanglers, sheen enhancement, whatever.

My staples are Mango Butter and Pantene R&N. I had all of these products after I did the BC and I come to find out that less is more for my hair.

So for my deep con I use ORS hair mayo or Lustrasilk aloe vera

Moisturizer: Mango Butter or Profective BreakFree

Leave In: Pantene R&N.

Coconut Oil sometimes..my hair doesnt respond well to oils.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you texture is more defined when you cut your relaxed ends off because those ends pull down on the hair. When they're cut off, your hair takes a new shape. When I started cutting my relaxed ends off, my curls got coilier from shrinkage. As far as products, I love sticking with natural ingredients. You always know what's in it, and you can always tweek things with fragrances and other added ingredients for more benefits. My staples are:

Unrefined Shea Butter
Apple Cidar Vinegar
Baking Soda
Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
Sweet Almond Oil
Coconut Oil
Rosemary Essential Oil
Lavendar Essential Oil
Peppermint Essential Oil
Let's Jam Hair Gel
Powdered Goats Milk
Unrefined Cocoa Butter

Basically from this list I make my own products. Conditioners, Butter moisturizers, milk detanglers, sheen enhancement, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Innocent_Kiss... what do you do with the powdered goat's milk?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you texture is more defined when you cut your relaxed ends off because those ends pull down on the hair. When they're cut off, your hair takes a new shape. When I started cutting my relaxed ends off, my curls got coilier from shrinkage.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. My curls were a lot looser until I cut the relaxed ends on Friday. Now they're springing up and coiling like you wouldn't believe. I ahd planned to transition longer, but I just got tired of the relaxed ends! The were preventing me from seeing what my natural hair would really do, and I was afraid that if I went too much longer, I wouldn't know what the /images/graemlins/censored.gif to do w/ my curls once I cut the relaxer off!

Ayana, you cut off the relaxed ends? Do you have pics? You know we're all dying to see. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I plan to pretty much use the same products that I have been using. Surge Moisture Aid and Ultra Max, Coconut oil, Amla and Vatika oils, smooth n shine curl activator gel, suave frizz control gel and my Suave conditioners. I may try the curly girl method once I'm all natural but I'm on the fence about that one.

AYANNAPOOH, you CHOPPED? /images/graemlins/clap.gif
I was on vacation so I havn't been on the board in a few days. Congratulations!!! I'm sure it looks great /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back to the topic, when I chop I'm gonna do the same thing..
Elasta qp or Nioxin shampoo
protein/deep condition x1/week w/ Aubrey GPB
Shea/cocoa butter mix
Water spritz mix

I might give some of the curl activators a try....Smooth N shine or world of curls. I'm planning to transition until next summer but who knows, I might chop a bit earlier too.

[ QUOTE ]
Ayana, you cut off the relaxed ends? Do you have pics? You know we're all dying to see. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I plan to pretty much use the same products that I have been using. Surge Moisture Aid and Ultra Max, Coconut oil, Amla and Vatika oils, smooth n shine curl activator gel, suave frizz control gel and my Suave conditioners. I may try the curly girl method once I'm all natural but I'm on the fence about that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you order your Amla and Vatika oils online..or do you go to an Indian store to get them? Do you think they are cheaper in an Indian store than ordering them online?

When I'm natural, I definitely want to try an activator gel.. there was another one mentioned on a post just a day or so ago..maybe Proclaim or something like that..I can't remember..

Oh yah, what is the curly girl method..I tried to find it on naturallcurly.com before but I couldn't find it..or do you have to get that book?? That's using no poo at all right?

I get my Vatika and amla oils from the local Indian grocers. They are cheaper than online.

The curly girl method does involve no poo. Devachan makes some no poo or lo poo shampoos' that are curly girl method friendly. It also involves not using silicones and explains with silicones are water solvable and which ones are not. There's also the plopping method to help encourage girls. I know there's more to it that just that but I don't have the book yet.

Yep ladies, I chopped last Friday! I have on pic up, but I PROMISE to update tonight, when I do my first shake and go!

Back on topic - the Curly Girl method is basically to CO wash, don't rinse all the CO, squeeze hair w/ hands, apply a clear gel as you scrunch, and let hair air dry undisturbed. I have the book, so I'll check tonight to make sure that's everything, but that's the jist of it. I'm trying to now figure out what to put on my hair to encourage curl defintion. **SIGH** There are so many products out there, and I don't want to overwhelm my hair!
/images/graemlins/whyme.gif

If you mean does your hair seem curlier as in more defined curls after you cut off the relaxed ends, then in my case, yes. I could see the little coils in my hair, whereas before, I could not. But if you mean does it seem kinkier, more tightly coiled, then no (not in my case.)

As far as products, I would suggest daily defense tender apple condtioner, suave milk and honey conditioner, plain honey (added to hot oil treatments, conditioners, leave in conditioners, moisturizers, whatever), smooth n' shine curl activator with aloe vera gel for extra dry hair, profectiv breakfree leave-in.

Wish you the best with your transition. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yep ladies, I chopped last Friday! I have on pic up, but I PROMISE to update tonight, when I do my first shake and go!

Back on topic - the Curly Girl method is basically to CO wash, don't rinse all the CO, squeeze hair w/ hands, apply a clear gel as you scrunch, and let hair air dry undisturbed. I have the book, so I'll check tonight to make sure that's everything, but that's the jist of it. I'm trying to now figure out what to put on my hair to encourage curl defintion. **SIGH** There are so many products out there, and I don't want to overwhelm my hair!
/images/graemlins/whyme.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured that would be the hardest part.. trying to figure which products "for you" will be best to encourage curl definition.. that's the part I kinda don't look forward too.. all the money that will prolly go to waste..

Who's that girl in your avatar.. she's got some cool hair!

[ QUOTE ]
If you mean does your hair seem curlier as in more defined curls after you cut off the relaxed ends, then in my case, yes. I could see the little coils in my hair, whereas before, I could not. But if you mean does it seem kinkier, more tightly coiled, then no (not in my case.)

As far as products, I would suggest daily defense tender apple condtioner, suave milk and honey conditioner, plain honey (added to hot oil treatments, conditioners, leave in conditioners, moisturizers, whatever), smooth n' shine curl activator with aloe vera gel for extra dry hair, profectiv breakfree leave-in.

Wish you the best with your transition. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I meant..more defined curls after the relaxed ends were cut off.. not the latter.. How long are you going to transition, Soslychic?

[ QUOTE ]
Thandie Newton - she's one of my hair inspirations!

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I know who she is..she was in that movie with Mark Walberg right? Something About Charlie..or something like that? Cool hair fer sure!!!

I've found that my hair doesn't respond to unnatural products. I have to sell my Kenra products because now all they do is leave my hair dry and in a tangled mess. I'll be using Aubrey Organic products and maybe I'll also try some stuff from Aveda.

I get the urge to chop the relaxed ends off too but then I come to my senses. I'm only 5 months in and I don't like short hair on me. Once I finally do chop, I think I'll be using some of the same products I'm currently using.

[ QUOTE ]
I get the urge to chop the relaxed ends off too but then I come to my senses. I'm only 5 months in and I don't like short hair on me. Once I finally do chop, I think I'll be using some of the same products I'm currently using.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a certain length in mind that you want to have before you chop the relaxed ends off?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a certain length in mind that you want to have before you chop the relaxed ends off?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to be able to put my natural hair in a decent ponytail. I don't like doing much to my hair, so the ponytail is my staple style.

[ QUOTE ]

That's what I meant..more defined curls after the relaxed ends were cut off.. not the latter.. How long are you going to transition, Soslychic?

[/ QUOTE ]

I already chopped in July.
Sorry, I know your post was directed at transitioners. I was just describing my transition and chop experience already psat /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back