Those of you who wear buns on a regular basis...

Twenti9

On your weekly wash days, are you:

1). Air drying to a bun
2). Roller setting hair to a bun
3). Flat ironing hair to a bun

I ask because i've been air drying to a bun. Thanks to finally adding protein treatments to my routine (duh
crazy.gif
), I'm able to now retain length. Although i'm not experiencing excessive shedding/breakage than normal, I can't help but notice that my ends when airdrying looks, well, kinda scraggly.

I want the most optimal effect of my bun so i'm just wondering what everyone else is doing. TIA!

------------------
Knowledge is Power

When wearing buns daily for months, I rollerset (airdried)my hair into a bun or French Twist and on occasion airdried my hair into a bun. Airdrying can leave the ends looking scraggly unless it's a rollerset. Some of the ladies here are airdrying in ponytails first, then styling their hair in a bun or another protective style.

i wash my hair daily and throw it in a wet bun most of the time. I throw something on my ends like grease (yes, i said grease, wha cha wanna do?
laugh.gif
) or serum on my ends, swirl it around and secure with scrunci. I do not touch my hair after doing this, only time i take it down is when its time to wash again. Yes my ends look weird after i take my hair down but when i rollerset, all i see is retained length
smile.gif
hth

I'm new to the bun wearing routine. I air dry my hair no matter what, so now I air dry it in about two twists to stretch my hair out, and the next day, while my hair is about 70% dry, I put it into my bun. I have to admit, my buns are looking damn good
smile.gif

How can I prevent my hair from feeling hard when airdrying in a bun?

I used Surge on my scalp; for my hair I use Motions Nourish Leave-in, Silk Elements Glossing Polish, and ORS Shea Butter...are any of these making my hair hard???

Re: Those of you who wear buns on a regular basis.

PB,

I don't think Surge is making your hair hard. I have not used Motions Nourish Leave-In or Silk Elements Glossing Polish so I can't say anything on those two items. I do know from personally experience that ORS Shea Butter was not the best thing for my (natural) hair.

You could experiment by using your products and excluding one each day.

Day 1: Surge, Motions, and Silk
Day 2: Surge, Silk, and ORS
Day 3: Surge, Motions, and ORS
Day4: Motions, SIlk, and ORS

etc,. etc.

Twenti9 - I air dry and add something to my ends.

Re: Those of you who wear buns on a regular basis.

[ QUOTE ]
NGC said:
PB,

I don't think Surge is making your hair hard. I have not used Motions Nourish Leave-In or Silk Elements Glossing Polish so I can't say anything on those two items. I do know from personally experience that ORS Shea Butter was not the best thing for my (natural) hair.

You could experiment by using your products and excluding one each day.

Day 1: Surge, Motions, and Silk
Day 2: Surge, Silk, and ORS
Day 3: Surge, Motions, and ORS
Day4: Motions, SIlk, and ORS

etc,. etc.

Twenti9 - I air dry and add something to my ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

After thinking about it, I think it's the Motions Leave-in because it has keratin/protein in it. Ive had this before even having the glossing polish and the shea butter. I started using the shea butter last night. Before using those products, my hair was hard with the Motions and Surge. But Ive used Surge by itself before and it made my hair really soft. So I think I just need a new leave-in.
smile.gif

I air dry my hair while it's in a ponytail, and then I put it up in a bun when it's dry.

My ends look fine if I put a bit of oil on them while they are still wet.

HTH
smile.gif

I, too, airdry into a bun.
I put nothin on my ends and they just look regular to me. I'll put my hair into a ponytail overnight and braid what's left out of the ponytail, in the morning it's still wet, and I'll put that into a bun.

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
How can I prevent my hair from feeling hard when airdrying in a bun?

I used Surge on my scalp; for my hair I use Motions Nourish Leave-in, Silk Elements Glossing Polish, and ORS Shea Butter...are any of these making my hair hard???

[/ QUOTE ]

just put your leave-in all over your hair and apply the serum to ends and see if that helps.

Thank you all for your responses. Your suggestions were wonderful. It looks like air drying to a bun is the way to go. Hopefully with trial and error, I to shall master the air drying bun. Thanks again!
wave.gif

------------------
Knowledge is Power

I want to start wearing buns like DSD

But I want to wash and put wet hair into a ponytail go to sleep then put on bun (but do not take ponytail down). This woudl allow me to condition was as often as I like, but I think I will do this every 2-3 days. Maybe shampoo 2 times a week too.

-faye

i dont do a wet bun b/c it was breaking my hair. after washing, etc, i just put it all back and put my hair in 1-3 plaits and let it dry, i sleep with a satin scarf to let it 'flatten'. in the morning, i don't comb it (thanks Tracy) b/c airdried hair breaks easily, i just smooth that sucker into a ponytail, do my bun, and then put my scarf back on until i am ready to walk out the door. Mind u, my hair is still damp (takes damn near 3 days to fully dry) but my bun looks nice and shiny
smile.gif

Back