Those Of You Who Transitioned From Bone Straight To Texlaxed, What Was Your Journey Like?

See, I've been texlaxing my hair for about a year now. Its definitely more thick, and when I straighten it, it is fabulous! But it tangles and matts like a beast, and I dont know what I should do about it...the tangling leads to me ripping through my hair, which leads to breakage, which leads to me hating my hair and becoming so frustrated with it. It just looks so thin on the ends where I still have bone straight hair. I wear it in buns, so no one will ever know, but when I take the bun out and look at my see through ends I feel so discouraged...I have about 4-6" more inches of bone straight hair to grow out, so Im thinking once I get to that point my hair should start to look better. Just dont know how Im supposed to stay sane until then lol!! I miss the fact that my hair used to only take 15 minutes to blow dry...now it takes forever :/ On the flip side, it feels so fluffy and soft when its wet!!! :)

@PianoTiles I did transition from bone straight to texlaxed. I loved how much thicker my hair was when texlaxed. I typically wore my hair in either a braid out or a bun. Once the texlaxed part got to be about half my length I just started binning all the time. I'm pretty hair lazy so I don't mind bunning.

After 2.5 years of transitioning to texlax I decided to go natural so now I have natural hair, texlaxed hair and some straight hair. I actually wish I hadn't wasted so much time texlaxing and had just made the leap to natural way back then.

I never had the tangling issue you mentioned so I can't offer any advice about that. You should check out the long term transitioning thread, I'm sure the ladies there can give you lots of good advice.

@PianoTiles

I am in the process of transitioning from relaxed to texlaxed. My relaxed ends do look very thin but I mainly wear my hair in buns so they cannot be seen. In addition, my ends were damaged from when I used to go to the salon. I had one stylist who left my relaxer on too long and the ends were over processed. The only time I experienced tangled ends is when I am stretching long or when I need a trim. In the beginning of my journey I experienced matting but it was because I was not doing a good job at detangling and removing shed hairs so the shed hairs would get all tangled up which caused matting. Also, I was not detangling well because it seemed that my hair would break then I discovered I was not using enough protein,. However, now I have upped my protein, I detangle more thoroughly and I trim my ends on a regular basis so I no longer deal with that issue.

Once you get rid of those bone straight ends you will feel better about your hair.

Goos luck to you.

Roz

Here is how my transition went:

Initially, I kept some texture. Then I would start to keep more and use milder relaxers. I reduced my relaxer times slowly because depending on how much texture you keep, it can affect your breakage. It's did get harder as I kept more hair and I did have some tangling, but much of it had to do with areas of thicker texture versus more relaxed areas.

I mostly roller set to keep the hair straight with minimal heat and then bun it. Eventually I stuck to twist outs and braid outs and went natural. Not because I wanted to, but because I just didn't have the time or energy to relax due to pregnancy and being a FTM.

When it comes to combing and styling, just take your time and use plenty of water. Keep the hair moisturized during the week. Keep styling to a minimum.

bumping, because I am considering texlaxing too My hair came out straighter than I wanted on my last retouch and I don't like my limp hair :(. I want to add oil and cut the processing time in half. I will not go natural

Back