This may have been mentioned, but do any of you mix Henna with yogurt?

HoneyDew

I have been seeing mixes that only combine the henna or cassia with plain nonfat yogurt - no water. Anyone ever done that? What did you like/dislike about it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I do, I use either yogurt or pectin, sometimes both. The yogurt will allow you to stretch the henna to make a much larger batch. You will still get the same great effects of the henna, plus it thickens the henna so that it is not runny. This makes the application and cleanup a lot easier. I did not notice any difference in the color or conditioning aspect of the henna. I used 16oz of henna (1/2 of a 32 oz I had in the fridge) to 250g of henna, and 50g of amla, 1/2 cup of warm water and I got enough for 4 treatments.

Softresses

Softresses said:
I do, I use either yogurt or pectin, sometimes both. The yogurt will allow you to stretch the henna to make a much larger batch. You will still get the same great effects of the henna, plus it thickens the henna so that it is not runny. This makes the application and cleanup a lot easier. I did not notice any difference in the color or conditioning aspect of the henna. I used 16oz of henna (1/2 of a 32 oz I had in the fridge) to 250g of henna, and 50g of amla, 1/2 cup of warm water and I got enough for 4 treatments.

Softresses

so how much yogurt do you use? I do have some pectin, henna, and the yogurt.

thanks keluric. I am going to use yogurt in my mixture today.

I wish that more people gave reviews, though. Oh well - It will just be trial and error for me.

I use yogurt in my henna and in cassia. I have more experience with cassia as I've done this many times and only used henna once.

My mix is cassia, yogurt and some olive oil. I find that this mixture is easier to put on my hair and much easier to rinse out. Also my hair is better conditioned after. This is the basic mix I use, although I will sometimes add an egg or a couple of tablespoons of conditioner.

I found that when I used cassia mixed with water, it "grabbed" onto my hair and it tangled some, and it was very hard to get out of my hair.

I forgot to add, the last time my mix was: 100g of cassia, 8 oz of yogurt, couple of tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tbsp honey and 1 egg yolk. My hair is quite fine and this was just enough to cover it.

I just mixed in some cassia and yogurt and you are right RM, is was much easier to get in my hair. I am not sure how much I used, but I poured in a scoop (a little over 1 ounce) of cassia (I got the scoop from a protein shake can) and a package of the Hennalucent neutral (a little over 2 ounces) that I found in my closet and a cup of plain yogurt. It was a bit too thick so I added in about 2 ounces of hot water to thin it out.

I think next week, I will try the cassia, yogurt and some olive oil, too. I wanted to just go ahead and use that Hennalucent powder up to get rid of it.

I am not sure what they are doing with that powder because, I own some henna, indigo, cassia obovata and Rhazya stricta powder and they all have dark earthy colors. This Hennalucent is a light colored powder. Even if it has henna and cassia as it says on the box, the color should be darker. :scratchch

This was my 1st time using Hennalucent, but I am not sure I should buy any more of that. No telling what kind of powder is in that.

Anyway, I am leaving this in for an hour or so and see how it goes.

At any rate, I already love the way it has made my hair feel. I can't wait to rinse it out and do a moisturizing deep condition. :D YUM!

Last edited:
Softresses said:

Softresses
Your hair is really long. You get 4 full BSL treatments? Then you separate them out and freeze them with no problem? Is it a good idea to add my indigo then freeze or add fresh indigo after thawing out each batch?

The first henna treatment I whipped up was made up of henna (mixed w/distilled water), conditioner, oil and plain yogurt. It was still messy for me at least, but the conditioning benefits were great. That time I had the best results with henna, as I had left it on for an hour without heat. I haven't revisited using the yogurt again tho.

Last edited:
I just rinsed out and I LOVE how easier it was to rinse!!

One of the reasons why I have not used Henna or cassia in a while is because I have such a hard time rinsing and my hair gets tangled sometimes.

The ease of rinsing because of the yogurt encourages me to take advantage of cassia and henna more often.

My hair feels more conditioned than with previous treatments that I've had, too.

I am deep conditioning for a few minutes with a non-protein moisturizing conditioner, but so far I really love the experience.

Hi Ladies, I am sorry about the mistake in my earlier post, but you figured it out, I was trying to say 16oz of yogurt in my mix.

Honeydew, I am glad the mixture worked for you. It does make it so much easier to work with.

I do get 4-5 treatments out of it. I usually have it all in one container and then thaw it out for each other time. The yogurt and the pectin, along with the water go a long way to stretch it.

If you apply the henna to wet hair you will use less of it.

Please forgive the lateness of my reply,

Softresses

HoneyDew said:
I just rinsed out and I LOVE how easier it was to rinse!!

One of the reasons why I have not used Henna or cassia in a while is because I have such a hard time rinsing and my hair gets tangled sometimes.

I went to Jamila because I hated all the rinsing. I still have some of the regular henna in my fridge so I'll try it with yogurt next time as it costs a lot less than Jamila.

How much would you say your rinsing was cut down by adding yogurt?

The yogurt is added before color release, right?

Last edited:
alexstin said:
I went to Jamila because I hated all the rinsing. I still have some of the regular henna in my fridge so I'll try it with yogurt next time as it costs a lot less than Jamila.

How much would you say your rinsing was cut down by adding yogurt?

The yogurt is added before color release, right?

I used it with Cassia, but I have read that the yogurt does not change the effects of the color, but you may want to research that.

I would say that normally I would rinse 2 times and then have to shampoo multiple times to get all of it out - sometimes I had to use a clarifying. This time, I did one good rinse with water and one moisturizing shampoo and it was out. MUCH BETTER!

Softresses said:

Softresses

You got all that hair, I could henna my hair for six months with that batch!! hehe!!:lol:

keluric said:
Anybody ever mixed mayo with their henna? haha.. but I'm serious.

People do use it as a conditioner. I don't see why not. I just don't think I would like the smell.

I never thought of mayonaise, that might be a good idea, however I am with Honeydew, I don't think I could stand the smell of all that mayo on my head for even one hour!

Softresses

Great- yogurt!

This would seem to simplify the process alot!!:brainy:

Now I just have to find out where to order the henna/cassia from.:scratchch

But I'm getting excited at the prospect of all of this!:bouncegre

keluric said:
Anybody ever mixed mayo with their henna? haha.. but I'm serious.

I first henna mix I made did have a dollop of mayo and yogurt mixed in. I am glad this thread got started, thanks Honeydew. I am definitely going to revisit using the yogurt as a conditioning treatment. When I used it the first time I ever hennaed, I couldn't believe how strong and amazing my hair felt. I think the yogurt had something to do with it, I haven't used since, and haven't had the same feeling in terms of conditioning like I had with the yogurt. :scratchch

Back