This Just In...Cathy Howse News

CarpeDM

Hey Ladies!!
I thought I'd crawl out of lurkdom to alert you guys to some news and current events on the Cathy Howse website. It appears she's gonna be in New York this weekend at some convention sportin' her natural mane. Here's the webpage:

http://www.ubhpublications.com/News.html

Now back to your regularly scheduled programe!

I read her first book, and I was kinda disappointed in the quality of the information and the writing itself. Also, I think their are ladies on this forum who blow Howse's hair out of the water.

Chayil

chayil0427 said:
I read her first book, and I was kinda disappointed in the quality of the information and the writing itself. Also, I think their are ladies on this forum who blow Howse's hair out of the water.

Chayil

I totally agree with that. However, it's interesting that she is coming to NYC to speak, and since i live here.... hmmm, i may just show up, for no other reason than out of sheer morbid curiosity. Wendy Williams was talking about the Circle of Sisters convention on her show yesterday. I think tickets are only $20 for the two days. Im sure there will be other really inspiring/positive women to see that will give you your money's worth.

Thanks for posting this. :)

Last edited:
chayil0427 said:
Chayil

Hello, I'm tryna tell ya, don't waste your mula, I read the first book also:)

While Cathy's book did open my eyes in how to care properly for my hair, I don't agree with how she comes off like her method is the only way to grow long hair. I've found much more useful information on this board, whereas her book just got me started.

Denim And Leather said:
While Cathy's book did open my eyes in how to care properly for my hair, I don't agree with how she comes off like her method is the only way to grow long hair. I've found much more useful information on this board, whereas her book just got me started.

Yah, that's how I found this site....I was reading her book and I was like no, no, Cathy not true, no way....so I said to self...self get on that computer and start researching some thangz and viola found LHCF...she doesn't make no sense to me...I was reading her book and like WTF:)

KiniKakes said:
I totally agree with that. However, it's interesting that she is coming to NYC to speak, and since i live here.... hmmm, i may just show up, for no other reason than out of sheer morbid curiosity. Wendy Williams was talking about the Circle of Sisters convention on her show yesterday. I think tickets are only $20 for the two days. Im sure there will be other really inspiring/positive women to see that will give you your money's worth.

If you go, you better take some pics of her hair!:lol:

Hey Kinikakes can you pm me information on the convention- I tried to google it and nothing came up. This would be very interesting.

KiniKakes said:

I started out with Cathy Howse's method around the time I discovered LHCF and still use it (except no heat). It's been quite a blessing. I'm sure her newest book will inspire many transitioners and naturals. :)

tsmith said:
Yah, that's how I found this site....I was reading her book and I was like no, no, Cathy not true, no way....so I said to self...self get on that computer and start researching some thangz and viola found LHCF...she doesn't make no sense to me...I was reading her book and like WTF:)

It's funny how a lot of us here started with Cathy's book and wound up on this site and have come to the same conclusion (that her method isn't the only way to grow long hair.)

OT- Is that your little girl in your avatar? She's a cutie pie. :)

CaribeanDiva- Cathy has it somewhere on her website that she quit relaxing sometime in 2004. I wonder if she cut off her relaxed ends?

caribeandiva said:
since when was Cathy's hair natural? i didn't know she transitioned
Well, supposedly she transitioned because her edges had started to thin, and she blamed it on relaxers. Ladies, please correct me if Im wrong.:)

I just couldn't get over 14-15 years of growing her hair out and she's only at BSL and she doesn't cut or trimm her hair.

My Sentiments Exactly!!!

Denim And Leather said:

I read her very first book and did the techniques she listed in the book to a T. I even mixed my own conditioner and used it consistently.

Then, she came out with a line of products and I was so happy. I didn't have to take the time to mix the conditioner. So me, like a dummy, bought HER already made bottled conditioner and guess what, that sh---dried out and broke my hair off something fierce. I was pissed. I sent her a note about it and she ignored it. I, too, agree that she should have much more length and sheen to her hair for all those years of good hair care.

I concur with everyone else that these boards provide much better information on hair care than her books do. Plus, it is free. Well, $5.00, but it is damn near free.

Kinikakes, if you make it to see her this weekend, gives us a report, if you don't mind.

caribeandiva said:
since when was Cathy's hair natural? i didn't know she transitioned

Since she saw the $$$$ signs in this "emerging market" of natural hair care.

Thanks 4 the info OP.

Didn't she just decide to transition about a year ago? I don't care what Cathy Howse says... If she didn't do a BC and still has BSL hair, then there is PLENTY of permed hair on her head. I am an EXPERT on transitioning long hair without the BC and if her "natural" is just as long or longer than her permed pics then she still has a long way to go.

Browndilocks said:
Thanks 4 the info OP.

Didn't she just decide to transition about a year ago? I don't care what Cathy Howse says... If she didn't do a BC and still has BSL hair, then there is PLENTY of permed hair on her head. I am an EXPERT on transitioning long hair without the BC and if her "natural" is just as long or longer than her permed pics then she still has a long way to go.

I THINK it's been at least 2 years....I could be wrong though.

Cathy Howse is the reason why I started researching growing out my hair. I have never had long hair my hair stopped at the top of shoulders and never all the way around and it has always been thin, and I always ended up with a bald spot here are there. I found her site by accident and then someone on there recommended this site. I ordered all of her products as well. I like the dew but nothing else. But after joining here I really saw the difference in my hair the best things is being honest and saying how stuff really affected your hair thats the best part of this website and perhaps only two or three things did not work for me but everthing else I did worked out good. My hair is all natural except for a little color and I have about two inches of new growth. No breakage and its growing nicely. I do have raggedy or brillo pad ends. I am working on it. I haven't cut them yet but I will but I am greatful to Cathy for opening my eyes and letting me see that we can really grow long hair and here is proof. All over this site is proof. This site right here is what helped me grow my hair out. I can never leave it.

Browndilocks said:
Thanks 4 the info OP.

Somebody posted this a few days ago and that was the FIRST thing I thought of. Then I went to her site and saw it had been more like 2 years. Wow time flies. But still, I seriously doubt she went from 0 to bra strap natural hair in 2 years. SHE didn't even teach how to do that! She said her hair grows 6 inches a year so.....

sprungonhairboards said:
Somebody posted this a few days ago and that was the FIRST thing I thought of. Then I went to her site and saw it had been more like 2 years. Wow time flies. But still, I seriously doubt she went from 0 to bra strap natural hair in 2 years. SHE didn't even teach how to do that! She said her hair grows 6 inches a year so.....

I was thinking the same thing. Especially since she's against trims?? :confused: Not to discredit her personal techniques or those that find them useful but even if it has been 2 years, I still have a hard time believeing that she's a complete natural.

Back