This is an embarassing question, but...

NYCQT16

Natural Again
what is breakage? :look: I don't know if I am absolutely clear on it.

Is it when you comb your hair and short broken pieces come out?

And if there is a shorter section of your hair than the rest of your hair, how do you know that is breakage and not just a layer?

You got it right. When there is no white bulb at the end, that is usually breakage. Breakage also happens when the split ends travels up a certain spot of the hair shaft and the hair breaks off at that point.

Thanks Champagne...I have another question tho...about the shorter piece. Now if I have a section of hair that;s shorter than the rest, how do I know if it's breakage or just a shorter layer?

NYCQT16 said:
Thanks Champagne...I have another question tho...about the shorter piece. Now if I have a section of hair that;s shorter than the rest, how do I know if it's breakage or just a shorter layer?
Good question!!! I've thought of this question before when I started examining whether my hair is either breakage or shedding. I would like to know too!!! :weird:

NYCQT16 said:

Even if it's a short piece, you still have to look for the bulb. If you don't see a white bulb, then you know it's breakage.

NYCQT16 said:
Thanks again ladies...let me clarify tho about the short piece. Not like a short piece of hair that's broken off, but I mean a section. For instance...in the link I provided...how do I know if that section is breakage or just shorter than the rest of my hair?http://public.fotki.com/NYCQT16/hair_progress/wedding2003_0101018_2.html

Hey NYC. I would say that's breakage, because the very ends of the piece look frayed and uneven. I've had that before, on the back of my head where I would always tie off a pony-bun. Only dustings and time grew it out. (And no more pony-buns!) ;)

I never notice the white bulb at the end of my shedded hairs, I just know that the long hairs that come out are shedding, and the little inch or less sized pieces are the breakage.

LDebagoria said:
Hey NYC. I would say that's breakage, because the very ends of the piece look frayed and uneven. I've had that before, on the back of my head where I would always tie off a pony-bun. Only dustings and time grew it out. (And no more pony-buns!) ;)

I would say breakage too.:yep:

The reason: I don't think it's possible to have so many shorter strands of hair in one section like in your picture without it being breakage. Sometimes you have different lengths because the hairs are growing at different rates, but if you have large sections (like in your picture) then I definitely would say breakage. I have a similar looking section at the left hand corner of my nape (kitchen area) where the braids broke my hair. I also have other sections like this all over and it was definitely breakage.:yep: In my case, I had one relatively long side (the right) and one relatively short side where most of the matting and breakage occurred (left side) with lots of different length hairs:mad:

Anyway, inspect the hairs for splits and dust them and just wait until that section catches up with the rest like LDebagoria said (that's what I'm doing).:)

Also keep your hair well moisturized to prevent anymore breakage.

An easy way to know is that if that short section used to be longer and now is shorter... without you cutting it, it's definately breakage.

Back