This aint gonna work out...

What do you think is healthier

• Going natural and using direct heat weekly... (maybe more :-/)

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Relaxing (maybe texlaxing) every 12 weeks or more with limited direct heat, mainly rollersets

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • A alternative method... Please specify in post

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SoOoNY

So when I started my LHCF journey, I decided that I was gonna go natural... Tee also gave me a regi with no direct heat. So far so good. I been here for about 2 months now and I picked up a few tips on my own. My fav is amla oil, henna, and MN.

Now with all that I am 12 weeks post relaxer and its getting crazy ladies.. when I say Crazy im mean C-R-A-Z-Y! Its like my new growth is saying uh uh *****... I aint going down without a fight.:catfight: I cut my hair even so now I am neck length and I cant put my hair in a bun, my edges are thin so I am trying to stay away from bantu knots, and weaves and braids ate away my hair like a buffet. So today after i did my 4th UNSUCCESSFUL rollerset with my usual "Halfro" results (half straight on the ends, half afro on the roots), I decided its either one or the other, not both. I either need a perm or I need direct heat.

Now after all the this nonsense, which one do you think is worse relaxing (possibly texlaxing, but def using Affirm Mild or Mizani Butter Blend mild) or direct heat weekly. I think the relaxer cause I stretch for 12 weeks or more plus I am using mild and I would be able to do rollersets which I love. But what do you guys think???

I say if it is easier for you to manage your hair you should do the relaxer so that you can do your rollersets. Whatever is going to be easier is always better in my opinion.

I voted for relaxing, specifically texlaxing. I wash weekly and airdry my hair in rollersets to straighten and for curly styles. I don't use direct heat at all.

I just love my texlaxed hair!

I don't think the direct heat is a good idea. If in fact you are trying to go natural, once you go to cut the rest of your relaxer out later on you might have to cut off some of that new growth because it was damaged by direct heat. If you truly want to go natural, I would suggest you look into some protective or low manipulation styles. Also, once you're natural do you plan on wearing your hair straight most of the time? If so, you might as well stay relaxed/texlaxed. It'd be easier.

I voted for relaxing, specifically texlaxing. I wash weekly and airdry my hair in rollersets to straighten and for curly styles. I don't use direct heat at all.

I just love my texlaxed hair!

Prospurr4, how do you texlax... do you add oil, or do you leave it in for a shorter amount of time, if so how long. Also what do you use. Also do you self relax or go to a salon

I don't think the direct heat is a good idea. If in fact you are trying to go natural, once you go to cut the rest of your relaxer out later on you might have to cut off some of that new growth because it was damaged by direct heat. If you truly want to go natural, I would suggest you look into some protective or low manipulation styles. Also, once you're natural do you plan on wearing your hair straight most of the time? If so, you might as well stay relaxed/texlaxed. It'd be easier.

I was planning on wearing it straight most of the time. I love my curly hair but I love the polished look of staright styles. I am one of those people when people see my new growth they say I do not "need" a perm... I guess I just started listening. I look at people on this forum, like choconilla and bubblinbrownsuga (sp?) and Cherokee and I am inspired, til i do something and I am sad...

I am just mainly trying to decrease the damage on my hair, and get my natural curls completely back. but I see myself getting frustrated and damaging it more:nono:

have u ever tried the caramel/molasses treatment. it worked wonders for me. it helped me stretch for 12 weeks and i definitely felt confident enuff to go longer. but i didn't cuz there was really no reason to (i'm not transitioning)..but it reaaaaallly helped tame my ng well:yep:

have u ever tried the caramel/molasses treatment. it worked wonders for me. it helped me stretch for 12 weeks and i definitely felt confident enuff to go longer. but i didn't cuz there was really no reason to (i'm not transitioning)..but it reaaaaallly helped tame my ng well:yep:

Girl I tried it on wed:lachen:, my hair felt soft and stronger but my new growth still wasnt having it. the rollerset was still out of control... I guess I should just be happy that my hair is healthy, thick and soft.:look:

Prospurr4, how do you texlax... do you add oil, or do you leave it in for a shorter amount of time, if so how long. Also what do you use. Also do you self relax or go to a salon

I self-relax, using Revlon Realistic Regular Lye in the jar. I don't use oil; I just decrease the relaxing time. Before application, I saturate my previously-relaxed ends with oil (to protect from further processing), then apply relaxer to new growth only. My application time is about 8 minutes, and I smooth for an additional 7. I make sure I am rinsing by the 15 minute mark, so that I get the results I want. I have thick, 4b hair type.

I was planning on wearing it straight most of the time. I love my curly hair but I love the polished look of staright styles. I am one of those people when people see my new growth they say I do not "need" a perm... I guess I just started listening. I look at people on this forum, like choconilla and bubblinbrownsuga (sp?) and Cherokee and I am inspired, til i do something and I am sad...

I am just mainly trying to decrease the damage on my hair, and get my natural curls completely back. but I see myself getting frustrated and damaging it more:nono:

Well technically nobody needs a relaxer. But if your hair is truly like that, then you really shouldn't have a problem roller setting. You might just need a heavier product to get the roots straighter. However, if you plan on wearing it straight all the time once you're natural, you're going to need an immense amount of heat to keep it that way. Just a thought.

Why don't you try some styles that don't require a lot of heat until you grow your relaxer out? That way you don't have to worry about it. You can bun (my hair is the same length as yours and I bun a lot), or do a braid out or twist out. What about a straw set or a rod set? Those styles should all camoflauge your roots. That way you won't have to use heat to get the roots straight.

Last edited:
If you want to were your hair in mostly straight styles, then
it would be better to go with texlaxed or relaxed. For most
ladies, consistent direct heat is too damaging.

Well technically nobody needs a relaxer. But if your hair is truly like that, then you really shouldn't have a problem roller setting. You might just need a heavier product to get the roots straighter. However, if you plan on wearing it straight all the time once you're natural, you're going to need an immense amount of heat to keep it that way. Just a thought.

Why don't you try some styles that don't require a lot of heat until you grow your relaxer out? That way you don't have to worry about it. You can bun (my hair is the same length as yours and I bun a lot), or do a braid out or twist out. What about a straw set or a rod set? Those styles should all camoflauge your roots. That way you won't have to use heat to get the roots straight.

Thanks.. I tried rodsetting but it didnt work out for me... How do you do it. I think put them in wrong.:perplexed also how do you bun... my hair is barely coming out the ponytail holder...:nono:

Thanks.. I tried rodsetting but it didnt work out for me... How do you do it. I think put them in wrong.:perplexed also how do you bun... my hair is barely coming out the ponytail holder...:nono:

You might just have to position your bun in a different spot. When my hair was shorter, I always had to do high buns or phony ponytails because all of my hair couldn't reach to the back. Now, I can do them lower without having the shorter pieces come up by the end of the day. I usually slick my hair back with some type of gel or pomade. Usually Fantasia Gel or Aloe Vera Gel since they give a good hold for my natural hair. When I was relaxed I used Elasta QP Glaze and it worked good. I just really needed it like around the edges to get it to lay down. I didn't put it on all my hair. After I slick it back, I add a piece of hair onto it for a bun since my ponytail is still small.

With the rods, I know some people use flexi rods (which work fine) but I still use the old school cold wave rods since that's what I already have at home. I just apply my product and put the rod or roller in. The trick to get the root straight is to make sure I get it saturated with enough product. I also comb through each piece to smooth it before I roll or twist it to make sure the whole thing will be smooth and uniform once it's dry. I usually sleep on them overnight to let them dry and then take them out in the morning. Or you could sit under the dryer. Same thing with twists and braid outs. I plait or twist my hair up then wait 'til it dries and take them out. Then I fluff the hair and separate the sections so it looks full. It'll last a week if I leave it alone.

You might just have to position your bun in a different spot. When my hair was shorter, I always had to do high buns or phony ponytails because all of my hair couldn't reach to the back. Now, I can do them lower without having the shorter pieces come up by the end of the day. I usually slick my hair back with some type of gel or pomade. Usually Fantasia Gel or Aloe Vera Gel since they give a good hold for my natural hair. When I was relaxed I used Elasta QP Glaze and it worked good. I just really needed it like around the edges to get it to lay down. I didn't put it on all my hair. After I slick it back, I add a piece of hair onto it for a bun since my ponytail is still small.

With the rods, I know some people use flexi rods (which work fine) but I still use the old school cold wave rods since that's what I already have at home. I just apply my product and put the rod or roller in. The trick to get the root straight is to make sure I get it saturated with enough product. I also comb through each piece to smooth it before I roll or twist it to make sure the whole thing will be smooth and uniform once it's dry. I usually sleep on them overnight to let them dry and then take them out in the morning. Or you could sit under the dryer. Same thing with twists and braid outs. I plait or twist my hair up then wait 'til it dries and take them out. Then I fluff the hair and separate the sections so it looks full. It'll last a week if I leave it alone.

Thanks girl... Thats really helpful... I might try it before 1/5/08 which is the day i plan on perming (for my birthday) and see how it works out before i make a decision...

Co signing on staying away from the direct heat. You sound just like me when I started LHCF. I was all gung ho about going natural and even made it to the 6 month mark. Then one day I got frustrated with it and went back to the chemicals.

Being natural isn't for everyone. First you have to recognize how you want your hair to look the majority of the time. If you are OK with a more textured look the majority of the time, continue your natural journey. However, if you like a straighter look, then texlaxing (or relaxing) may be a better option for you.

I also have TERRIBLE edges and I have found that texlaxing (stretching 12 weeks or more) and roller setting have worked wonders for me. LHCF is a great guide for those that want to remain relaxed and healthy. It can be done! HTH!!

My hair is currently about your length and I wear a loose bun everyday. I pile my hair high up and create a loose bun that I secure with good day hair pins. I do it by holding my hair in a ponytail and wrapping it like a bun, then I stick the pins in. It's not tight.

I'm not trying to be funny or anything but what is the point of going natural if your going to wear it straight all the time? That's just more damage to your hair.

Don't do that. I think you should probably just stay relaxed or texturized for awhile because using direct heat on natural hair like our hair, is not a good idea.

I'm not trying to be funny or anything but what is the point of going natural if your going to wear it straight all the time? That's just more damage to your hair.

Don't do that. I think you should probably just stay relaxed or texturized for awhile because using direct heat on natural hair like our hair, is not a good idea.

I know ur not trying to be funny. Personally I am trying to get rid of excess things that damage my hair... I used to have a perm and flat iron my hair every week. Also my curls are getting limper and I miss wearing my hair curly in the summer. so I figured I could get my hair straight without a perm but I couldnt get it curly with one... it made sense to me:ohwell:. Oh well it starting to look like texlaxing

say no to heat if you can
I'm self-laxed, rollersets are a god-send for my 4z hair, especially after a conwash...I wash in 4 or 6 sections...airdry with Proclaim glossing polish to control frizz, and if I'm doing a rollerset I always use Motions foam or Elasta QP foam. this has really helped me stretch a lot longer. the less product I use to airdry the better.

Last edited:
I know ur not trying to be funny. Personally I am trying to get rid of excess things that damage my hair... I used to have a perm and flat iron my hair every week. Also my curls are getting limper and I miss wearing my hair curly in the summer. so I figured I could get my hair straight without a perm but I couldnt get it curly with one... it made sense to me:ohwell:. Oh well it starting to look like texlaxing

Well I don't know what type of hair you have so if it is of the corser type, meaning you need a relaxer or hot comb to make straight, then I say do the texturizer.

But if it's a finer type texture, regardless if it's straighter or curlier, then just wear your hair like that.

That was my solution. Because of the type of hair I have, I choose to wear it natural, and I don't need heat or chemicals to make it straight. But my buddy has more of the "Afro" textured hair so if she wants it straight, she has to relax it or hot comb it, but she doesn't blow dry it on top of that. That's added heat.

I might be in the minority here, but I believe that people can have the best of both worlds. I am natural and I wear my hair straight on most weekends. Mon-Thurs I cowash and Thrusday nights I wash/DC/flat iron. This has worked ok for me. Some weekends I skip straightening but my hair still seems healthy and is as thick as it has ever been. There are many other ladies here who are natural/transitioning and wear their hair straight as well. I think as long as you take good care of your hair in between time you should be ok. Make sure to moisturize, protect the ends and wear a heat protectant when you straighten.

I might be in the minority here, but I believe that people can have the best of both worlds. I am natural and I wear my hair straight on most weekends. Mon-Thurs I cowash and Thrusday nights I wash/DC/flat iron. This has worked ok for me. Some weekends I skip straightening but my hair still seems healthy and is as thick as it has ever been. There are many other ladies here who are natural/transitioning and wear their hair straight as well. I think as long as you take good care of your hair in between time you should be ok. Make sure to moisturize, protect the ends and wear a heat protectant when you straighten.

See... Thats what I wanted to do... but my hair is so thick and I am a sweater... I think Imma have to "refresh" the look. who knows. doest yours stay straight? Mine is 3c, its wont fro at all:nono:

Off topic:

SoOony, I like the tattoo on ur back

Thanks, its my moms last name in Chinese at the top (first 3) and my dads at the bottom (last 3). I am in college and I cant afford the measurement shirt so I just use these to track growth. lol! Who knew they would be so handy!:drunk:

Thanks, its my moms last name in Chinese at the top (first 3) and my dads at the bottom (last 3). I am in college and I cant afford the measurement shirt so I just use these to track growth. lol! Who knew they would be so handy!:drunk:

LOL! how cute!

Ladies, please don't burn me at the stake for this:gotroasted:, but I have to ask: what is texlaxing? I have heard that term so many times, and I still don't know what it is!!

I say if it is easier for you to manage your hair you should do the relaxer so that you can do your rollersets. Whatever is going to be easier is always better in my opinion.

Yeah, that is one of the reasons I had to telax or relax about 75% of the way. My stylist and my natural hair was thwarting my progress because he would use an ion blow dryer and then flat iron to get my hair straight and that is a no-no for me. So, I looked through fotkis and saw that the ladies with BSL and longer hair that grew their hair out fastest did so by doing roller sets. So, I said rollersets is the way to go then. And it is so much better than pulling a hot blowdryer from root to tips all the way through my hair.

Ladies, please don't burn me at the stake for this:gotroasted:, but I have to ask: what is texlaxing? I have heard that term so many times, and I still don't know what it is!!

Telaxing is what I do. Basically it is relaxing your hair but not all the way. For me it is about 70-75, some people go to less or a little more. When it is time to relaxe again, telaxing reduces the chance of the demarcation line being weakened to much even if there may be over lapping a little. But my stylist uses Paul Mitchell products so even though I am telaxed my hair still comes out looking straight and isn't flat either.

Back