Thinning hair from Bunning.

Angel1794

Has anyone every experience thinning from wearing buns? I have been wearing a bun for over 6 months and today I realized that my edges have breakage and my nap has severe breakage. This has been just a disappointment as it looks as though I have gained a problem instead of moving forward (all was created by me). I have to start all over - current length was APL, but now it's very thin. I went to the mall and purchased some Nixon Folicle Booster. Do you think this would help. Any suggestions please!!!!!

Has anyone every experience thinning from wearing buns? I have been wearing a bun for over 6 months and today I realized that my edges have breakage and my nap has severe breakage. This has been just a disappointment as it looks as though I have gained a problem instead of moving forward (all was created by me). I have to start all over - current length was APL, but now it's very thin. I went to the mall and purchased some Nixon Folicle Booster. Do you think this would help. Any suggestions please!!!!!

Wha?????:eek: Where is your thinning? Just aound the edges or all throughout? What were you doing???? How were you bunning? And did you move it around? Was it a Phony-Bun Your Own Hair etc......I need details....................

Sista' Ain't Tryna' Have No Setbacks.:rolleyes:
*pulling out Mega-Tek

Wha?????:eek: Where is your thinning? Just aound the edges or all throughout? What were you doing???? How were you bunning? And did you move it around? Was it a Phony-Bun Your Own Hair etc......I need details....................

Sista' Ain't Tryna' Have No Setbacks.:rolleyes:
*pulling out Mega-Tek

Lol. Girl, you are way too funny!

I was bunning with the donut with my hair pulled through. It was always in the same location - low bun. The thinning has occurred around the edges (not total breakage to scalp in front) but enough breakage around the front - my bangs are shorter then what they were last November (with the cut request). The nap has severe breakage. I flat ironed and can tell my ends are thin (not see through thin but thin) I think I caught it in time.

What did you use to secure the bun? Was the doughnut made out of socks? How often do you moisturize? What do you use to moisturize? How often do you dc?

Oh, I"m sorry to hear about your thinning edges and nape.

Could it be that you were bunning too tightly?

I've also heard that bunning in the same place all the time
can cause breakage. Too much pressure in one area.

Perhaps you could try a different type of protective style while you're nursing your edges and nape back to help. :yep: Twists or braids (no extensions) maybe?

Oh, I"m sorry to hear about your thinning edges and nape.

Could it be that you were bunning too tightly?

I've also heard that bunning in the same place all the time
can cause breakage. Too much pressure in one area.

Perhaps you could try a different type of protective style while you're nursing your edges and nape back to help. :yep: Twists or braids (no extensions) maybe?

This is true and it happened to me a long time ago. I think you should stop using the donut for now, if its made out of cotton or any other material that's not satin it will take your hair's moisture. Try wearing a ponytail or bun high, low, side pony, etc. I would also give your hair a break and wear it down once in a while. You didn't mention moisturing or deep conditioning, I'd do that minimum once a week. If your hair is thinning maybe you are using too much heat. I don't think bunning would make your hair thin. Try castor oil or Megatek in your nape and front. Don't make your buns tight or you're going to keep losing hair in those areas. HTH!

My nape is starting to thin out too. I noticed it in the mirroe yesterday. I'm going to start putting Castor Oil back there. It helped bring my edges back. I think I pull my ponies too tight. Because it's sore back there.

I would normally wash and condition 1x a week - wash and DC 1x a week. No heat at all. Moisturized with QP mango butter it's great on my edges so I thought - this could have been a problem. The only change in my routine was I added Carol's Daughter "Some of Marguerite's Magic" and Proclaim Moisturing shampoo. The donut was brought from Sally's not the cotton one, but like satin type of material. They total me this was better then the cotton one.

I would normally wash and condition 1x a week - wash and DC 1x a week. No heat at all. Moisturized with QP mango butter it's great on my edges so I thought - this could have been a problem. The only change in my routine was I added Carol's Daughter "Some of Marguerite's Magic" and Proclaim Moisturing shampoo. The donut was brought from Sally's not the cotton one, but like satin type of material. They total me this was better then the cotton one.

Angel- it just might be the Mango Butter. It completely broke my edges two years ago.

Here's are some pictures just to get a idea. I went to the BS today. My nape needs some work. My front requires some attention as well as it has breakage from something if it's not pulling it back. I use little to no heat. I think I'm pulling to hard when bunning. I'm going to rest for awhile as hard as it going to be.

July 09 004.jpg

July 09 006.jpg

July 09 008.jpg

I hope you can see the attachments.

Back