Thinning/Breaking Short Hair

comicview05

Hi Ladies,

I just became a subscriber to the forum! I've found so much helpful information for my own hair I don't know what to do with it all! But I do have a few questions about my mom's hair.

She has short, relaxed hair, forgive me I don't know any of the acronyms that everyone uses, that is above her ears. The sides (around her ears) are longer than anywhere else. Her temples are extremely thin and so is her crown--though not as thin as her temples. She had a friend cut the back that is growing back in as well.

She won't spend the money to go get her hair done so she uses whatever shampoo and conditioner she finds in the house. She uses an old flat iron that has seen better days. Her hair has never been this unhealthy (that I have seen). My questions are:

1. What kind of shampoo/conditioner should she be using to make her hair thicker, stronger, and longer?

2. What should she be doing after a shampoo, as far as drying, styling, and maintaining the style for the week?

I think I mentioned everything. Please let me know if I should add more information.

Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

I'm still new at this, but I think she should try a moisturizing shampoo and deep conditioner for a few weeks and see how that goes. If she has a lot of breaking or damage, I would then add a protein treatment and see how her hair responds.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I dont know your moms hair but maybe she just needs to let the relaxer go...its def not for everyones hair!! but either way, there are some good products and habits that she can be practicing....

1. What kind of shampoo/conditioner should she be using to make her hair thicker, stronger, and longer? I would usually suggest some decent cheaper product since she doesnt want to spend much money...but if she's trying to AGGRESSIVELY grow long healthy hair...then i would suggest using good products, like Nexxus, Mixani, KeraCare....its very very important to get a good moisturizing conditioner and moisturizing shampoo and a good leave in.... btw u can throw some peppermint oil into any shampoo or conditioner, that helps to stimulate growth and clean the scalp

2. What should she be doing after a shampoo, as far as drying, styling, and maintaining the style for the week? um..lets see if she can get away with using little heat then thats what i would do...ideally i would say, to wrap set her hair after washing, and if its too short to wrap set then i would suggest air drying and pressing ( of course using a good heat protectant) and then to maintain that look... lightly oiling at night and wrapping before she goes to bed...

HTH

Back