Thinking of trying something different....

jainygirl

ladies.... it's been about 3.5 years since i've stepped inside a salon to get my hair done....but i'm thinking of going to a dominican shop to have my hair rollerset, deep conditioned and my roots blown for my birthday (april 19th) (no trim--AT ALL
nono.gif
) i'm kinda scared at the thought of having someones hands in my hair. I plan to touchup my hair about 3-4 days before that time. is this a good idea? do they normally blow the roots that soon after a touchup? (i just dont want them using a blowdryer down the length of my hair so soon after my touchup since i use a blowdryer myself) ladies i'm really nervous about the language barriers and stuff but i saw some nice reviews on a couple of dominican shops in the atlanta area on the Salon thread. I just want to see what my hair would look like at this length with a "fresh from the shop" look..... anyone else get this way or am i just being REALLY paranoid ??? jainygirl

I went to Lilly's on Jimmy Carter. The language barrier shouldn't be a problem because they already have a basic understanding of what you want. Everyone that I saw in there was Africa-American or Afro-Latina with all different hair types. Plus they do speak some English, it's just between themselves that they go into their rapid fire Spanish. Also you don't have to get your hair blowdried at all. I'm not sure how they do it, but once you come from under the drier you hair is pretty much already straight (and I was 10 weeks post touch-up). If you're doing your touch-up right before you go, you won't need the blow-drier at all unless you want it. You can just have them give you a doobie and out the door you go, or they can just comb it out for you. I've seen a couple of people leave like that. It's all up to you. All of the stylists that I saw in there were really good about listening. I also saw people bringing in their own products to be used.

I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
i'm kinda scared at the thought of having someones hands in my hair. ..... anyone else get this way or am i just being REALLY paranoid ??? jainygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I can relate to this. I haven't had a 'professional' haircut in years, but I want to go to a shop to get it shaped. I see pics on this board where members actually have a good stylist and get nice trims and it falls in that pretty U or V shape. I want that too, but I'm scared that I'll go and they'll cut in layers, or do something I don't want, which has happened nearly every time in the past.

I really want a clean cut, but not enough to go have it done and risk being upset.

I just love your hair SO MUCH! It's awesome that you can maintain it all on your own with such a simple routine. Your hair looks like it's been rollerset even when you've only conditioner washed it and put it in a bun!

If you're going to the salon, make sure to state the "no trim" stipulation repeatedly (on the phone, when you arrive, at the wash bowl, during the rollerset, during the blow out, etc). That'll decrease your chances of getting a trim by 0.5%.
look.gif

You can decide how much blowdrying you want based on how gently they are treating your hair and how hot the blow dryer is. You'll have no new growth if you just relaxed, so the blowout will be mostly to smooth your hair into a style and to get strand separation.

Get more mileage out of the salon visit. Sport the style on a hot date (with your husband)!

I don't know anything about dominican salons I just wanted to let you know that I feel the same way you do. I do not like when people do my hair at all. I try to avoid the salon. I only go in for trims.

It sounds like a great birthday gift to yourself Jainygirl!! Just keep your eye on those scissors and don't let them get anywhere near your head! I just love your hair and length as it is - please take some pics after your salon experience so we can see!!
smile.gif

Definitely do it! Your hair - which is already gorgeous - is going to look AMAZING when they do that roller set on you
smile.gif

If you tell them that you don't want ANY part of your hair blow dried, then they wont do it. If your roots are of concern, then just have them wrap it after the set and leave like that (or sit under the dryer for a minute with the wrap and then go)
smile.gif

Just make sure that you're clear and adamant about that and the trim, and everything will be fine. I cannot wait to see the pics
clap.gif

hey
wave.gif
thanks everyone for all the feedback I am nervous to go but at the same time i do want to try a "fresh from the shop 'do" I'm gonna go scope them out next week just to see how they do things at Lilly's ( btw--that's where i was thinking of going Myco-- thanks for the info on them
smile.gif
) lol Megon, if hubby likes it too much he'll try to have my butt in the shop once a week
nono.gif
laugh.gif

Good....then he can pay for it!!! I say try it...I'm a Dominican-stylist convert (even though Herman is from Ecuador!) and I'll never go back! Lately, I just have him rollerset and comb out. It looks kinda bouffant/Ethel Merman at first, but within an hour, it's just the way I like it. The texture, bounce, and swing lasts for days!

Hey,
I would do it, I wish I had a dominican salon somewhere close to me!
Girl, it is for your birthday...LIVE IT UP, AND LET IT SWING!

Back