Thinking of strawsetting my daughter's hair

KinksnCurlz

Thinking of strawsetting my daughter\'s hair

Ya'll should all know by know she is 3 going on 30 and yes her hair is natural. Last week, a poster linked someone else's natural hair album which showed step by step instructions on creating a strawset. But my question to you mom's (and everybody else) is this, would sitting her under a soft bonnet dryer for about 45 mins be too much for her? I would either put it on low or medium (depending on how comfortable medium is for her) setting. What do you think? I want to do this for her 'stepping up' (graduating from preschool to pre-k) ceremony on Thursday.

I will be using

* drinking straws
* end paper
* glosser
* lottabody ready to use setting lotion
* large bobbypins

Also, if anybody can offer any instructions on how to separate the coils after removing the straws that would b greatly appreciated
smile.gif

Re: Thinking of strawsetting my daughter\'s hair

I don't know Carmel. Do you think this style may be a little too "grown up" for a 3 year old? I am not sure how a 3 year old would look with a straw set and if your 3 year old is like my 3 year old niece. The only way you can get her to keep still long enough to sit under a bonnet would be if you hog tied her to the ground. LOL..

I think the style will be cute depending on how it comes out in the long run. I have seen your daughter in person and I think it would fit her personality
smile.gif

If you set the straws in a "shirley temple" type fashion and add a cute clip or something - she will look adorable.

Hopefully the weather will be good to you that day.

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
Last week, a poster linked someone else's natural hair album which showed step by step instructions on creating a strawset.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which thread was this?

honee:
i can picture it! i think she will look cute as a button (especially w/rosettes in her hair)

when you remove the straws to separate her spirals...separate each curl into six sections and as you unravel the curls wind the strands around your finger to keep the formation of the spiral- get me?

got u lady
wink.gif

what r rosettes? and how should i clip the front... if i decide to. Or should i just hold a few of them back with those baby clips... now im confused
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i don't want to do too much to the poor child.
thanks everybody. my mother hates the idea... she said i should just re-twist it but i know im sick of seeing the twists so much.

@ karonica - i dont remember the name of the thread exactly, but it was something along the lines of 'straw set and natural hair' started on either thurs. or fri. i will try and bump it up for ya.

honee:
do you have a michael's in your town? it's an arts/crafts/silk flowers-type store. if you go in the section where they have ribbons/bridal head pieces you will see rosettes/flowers. (to get a mental pic think of a baby-t and the little flower on the neckline
think.gif
)

well, you'll need a hair pin (the one that is opened) and slid through the thread. the hairstyle that i would like to see her in
smirk.gif
is tendrils around the face and nape and the rest in a high pony with 6-8 rosettes in the front at the base of the pony OR some up w/the rosettes at the front/base of the pony.

too cute, huh
smile.gif

damn that is cute
smile.gif

i can picture it but not that well and no, we don't have a michael's around here
frown.gif
either that or i've just never heard of it.

oh and i should add that with her natural hair, it won't fall around her face, it will b more of a sticking out kinda look. kind of like that natural picture i keep on showing u guys and wishing to get a weave like it
laugh.gif

now im confused i don't want to do too much to the poor child.

you could always let her hair airdry...

shoot me either. b/c then i'd have to let her watch shrek again and im getting a little tired of that movie
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

the thing is, i won't b able to start it until thurs nite (around 730) and her 'graduation' is at 10 and all that hair will not b dry by then.
frown.gif

i really do want to try the strawset, i think it'll fit her personality like pepperanne said
smile.gif

grin.gif

no, honee, i was (trying) to quote you! i don't have any little ones (so i'm living my mommism through you-this is how i would do my little one's hair if i were brave enough to birth one
crazy.gif
)

CH, has she ever gone to the salon before? My daughter LOVES the dryer and her deep conditioning treatments under it. If I did her hair with some straws and showed her that picture of the strawset, she would be begging me to do all the time.

I think if you set it and put her through all that on Thursday night that she probably won't want to sit under it for long. I have fallen asleep with the bonnet on my head. You can always wait for her to fall asleep and then put the bonnet on her for the required 45 minutes or even longer.

I'm going to have to try that out on my hair (to blend the transition with the permed ends) and on my daughter's hair - after her 2 weeks of swimming lessons are over. I can NOT do all that work for 2 days of style.

Have fun and PLEASE post pics.

Lady,

I am style challenged. You're going to have to break down that unraveling down to preschool level for me.

i was wondering where u were GMMP
i will definately post pics if i decide to do it
smile.gif

and that '2 days worth of style' thing is what's making me hesitant. i know she'll love it b/c she likes her hair 'out' after i wash it... we'll c.

Question tho...
should i put some type of gel (not that heavy brown icky crap that makes me want to
barf.gif
everytime i c the container) at her roots to keep them from puffing out so much? if not gel, then what? thanks

I think you should try that, Let's Jam...I love how that stuff works, or better yet just get some gel activator that will help too.

If you do plan on strawsetting her hair, make sure that you protect her ears. Don't want your baby going deaf.

Well, how did this turn out? And where did you get the little pink ear covers. I need some of those.

Hey GMMP
wave.gif

My mother talked me out of it. So I just re-did the twists but much smaller. It came out so pretty. I will post pics sometime this week.

I got my pink ear covers for $1 at the asian bss. I've never seen them in high end bss's (ie. sally's)... only those mom and pop ones.
smile.gif

Back