Thinking of resorting to a throwback style...Crochet braids!!

DigitalRain

On my 1st attempt at transitioning at the beginning of 2000 I wore crochet braids successfully. I had none of the hairline damage associated with regular braids and it kept me out of my hair. I think Im going to wear start wearing these again to help me make it to March.

I just wish I could do these myself but I can't get the hang of cornrowing at all..

On my 1st attempt at transitioning at the beginning of 2000 I wore crochet braids successfully. I had none of the hairline damage associated with regular braids and it kept me out of my hair. I think Im going to wear start wearing these again to help me make it to March.

I just wish I could do these myself but I can't get the hang of cornrowing at all..

I've decided to do the same thing. Unfortunately, I can't cornrow either. :wallbash: To save money, I'm going to let someone do the cornrows for me ($20) and I'll crochet the hair in.

I've found a natural hair salon nearby so Im gonna call and see what the prices are like. When I had it done before it was done by a neighbor when I lived in Mississippi. I

Girl, that is exactly what I am doing after suffering a bad haircut, LOL. They are so versatile. I did crochet style two strand twist and no one knew the difference. It was so easy to do and it took all of 2 hours to take them out.

I now have curly hair crocheted (sp?) in. It's long for now but in about 3 weeks I'm going to cut short and rock it like that for a month. So excited b/c this is my style for the next six months. I want my hair back and I can't stand looking at it so short.

Ok, off my soapbox, LOL. Happy Holidays!!!!!

No pics yet!! Im putting my 13 weeks post pics in my fotki right now but I won't be getting the crochet braids till next week, (hopefully)

Its funny you posted this. I'm getting micro crochet braids tomorrow. I can cornrow but I don't know how to add extension hair in. I am getting my sister in law to do that for me. I will do the crocheting tomorrow. I learned by watching FinacialFreedom on You Tube. I'm using the Magic Crochet Hair in Body Curl.

Part 1 Video

Micro Crochet Part 2

I will post pics when I am done.

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing these but it seems like it would take a long time. Any idea of how long it normally takes?

Its funny you posted this. I'm getting micro crochet braids tomorrow. I can cornrow but I don't know how to add extension hair in. I am getting my sister in law to do that for me. I will do the crocheting tomorrow. I learned by watching FinacialFreedom on You Tube. I'm using the Magic Crochet Hair in Body Curl.

Part 1 Video

Micro Crochet Part 2

I will post pics when I am done.

Thanks for posting!

They look so much better then they used to when they first came out. Same with the braided hair.

I've been thinking about tree braids. I wonder which one is quicker?

I wonder why they're called crochet braids when a latch hook is used? In other news, I spend way too much time in Jo-Anns. :blush:

^^ They really do look a lot better than the ones from back in the day. I figured I would try these first and then try the ones where you use loose braiding hair. I don't know why its called crochet braids, but is also called latch hook braids as well. As far as quickness, I really don't know.

EXCELLENT IDEA.. IM ON THE BAND WAGON..

You will like them. Convenient and quick to do (compared to regular braids) and they are easy to remove too. I remember keeping mine in for like 6 weeks and removing them was a breeze and I didn't have to worry about my hair tangling or locking up. I can't wait to get them again!!

Here is the link to my crochet braids. I have since cut them. I think they were about 2 weeks old.

://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs186.snc3/19333_267177916102_772881102_4260159_8061843_n.jpg

I did crochet braids in a curly style this Sunday! It took me forever (cause I was watching movies and being interrupted by family). But I'll be faster next time!
Here's a link to my youtube video which has pics:
crochet braid tutorial

I did crochet braids in a curly style this Sunday! It took me forever (cause I was watching movies and being interrupted by family). But I'll be faster next time!
Here's a link to my youtube video which has pics:
crochet braid tutorial

Love it, Lolasmane! Have you tried washing? How does the freetress hair hold up to washing and what products do you use for maintenance? Thanks!!!

Since you have to tie the hair in a knot 3 times..how do you remove the crochet braids?

How long do they last?

ETA: I found the youtube video how to take them out. I just need to know how to maintain the hair underneath.

Last edited:
Back