Thinking about the BC...

ChunHyang

Well, I was gonna hold out for a while for the BC...but I'm about to go to Mexico and seriously have no one to do my hair for me, cornrows, braids, nothing. I'm not about to get in and out of the ocean and have to shampoo, deep condition, and flat iron EVERY DAY. So I feel like it would just be easier to BC...lol, is that dumb? I'm just not sure if I have the face for a short cut. And it's only been almost 14 weeks...I'm just not sure.
For those who did the BC kind of early, any advice? Thanks...

I got my last relaxer in October 2002 and BC in the beginning of March 2003.

I don't regret it at all----it was like discovering a whole new me.

Suggestions:
buy lots of accesories for your hair. Little clips, silk scarves, barretts--whatever---and have fun and doll yourself up.

Buy nice earrings-- to complement your face and add alittle 'umph'

Get your eyebrows done

I did alot to complement my face b/c my short do was new---I felt 'girly' with accesories and lipgloss etc...

Get your hair staples together, whatever they may be
Conditioner for your CW
Shea for moisture
maybe a moisturizing spritz etc... and keep your new do soft

last suggestion: have confidence when you wear it! That really adds alot

Have Fun!

GREAT advice! A big chop is not a dumb idea at all.

ayoung1981 said:
I got my last relaxer in October 2002 and BC in the beginning of March 2003.

I don't regret it at all----it was like discovering a whole new me.

Suggestions:
buy lots of accesories for your hair. Little clips, silk scarves, barretts--whatever---and have fun and doll yourself up.

Buy nice earrings-- to complement your face and add alittle 'umph'

Get your eyebrows done

I did alot to complement my face b/c my short do was new---I felt 'girly' with accesories and lipgloss etc...

Get your hair staples together, whatever they may be
Conditioner for your CW
Shea for moisture
maybe a moisturizing spritz etc... and keep your new do soft

last suggestion: have confidence when you wear it! That really adds alot

Have Fun!

I've never BC (well, there WAS that time about 20 years ago when I got a really baaad geri curl, but we won't go there!) so I don't have any good suggestions about that, but just wanted to weigh in if you decide NOT to BC .

I'm an avid swimmer/diver and whenever I spend a lot time in the water, I just rock "natural" styles that I can airdry with freedom to "jump in the water" whenever without worrying about my hair. I have 3 cardinal rules when swimming, whether in pools or the oceans:

1. ALWAYS "pre-wet" hair with "regular" water (water that is NOT pool or sea water, usually just jump under shower while in bathing/wetsuit ) because hair will be fully saturated with the "regular" water and will take a lot longer to absorb the chemicals in the pool or minerals in sea -- its like a "filter" to prevent chemicals/minerals from penetrating hair -- although will eventually penetrate if in pool or sea long enough, but pre-wetting slows that down considerably.

2. ALWAYS rinse hair ASAP with "regular" water to remove as much of the chemicals/minerals as possible, even if not able to 'poo, a good rinse with "regular" water go a long way to begin removing lot of the hard stuff.

3. nexxus humectress is my swimming hair best friend and I keep a small tube with me at all times -- I use it as a leave-in condish and styler. I usually have to wash at least once a day when on vacation where doing lots of swimming/diving and my usual routine:
- wash w/nexxus therappe and towel dry (or just rinse well if can't 'poo)
- humectress as leave-in and "style" - usually just put hair in a bun or a braid or let dry hanging for that "textured" look -- I just don't deal with it much beyond keeping it clean and free of chemicals/minerals and moisturized until I get home to property treat and pamper.

I hope things work out either way . . .

Well, it depends on how long you plan on being in Mexico. If you are there on holiday (like a week or two), then I wouldn't bother doing a BC if you're not ready. You can put all your hair into a tight gelled bun and add a very curly or kinky short pony at the very top (like the old TLC ponytails). Also, you can do two french braids and rock that, or do braid outs and twist outs after you wash your hair. Of course, I'd be sporting the ever present bun.

BTW, contrary to what some might think, I've seen photos of a lot of women do the BC to a TWA, and about 95% of them looked fantastic. I think that black women can rock short hair better than anyone because of our facial features. So I think that MOST black women DO have the head to rock a twa. Whether they want to is a different story. If you think you're ready to do the BC, then snip, snip. If you're confident, people will LOVE your new do.

Back