Thinking about going back to No Lye

Belle Du Jour

But can I use it since I currently have a lye relaxer? I got my virgin hair relaxed in June and it's not straight. I kinda don't mine that it's not 100% straight since I can wear it curly in a pinch but my hair has been shedding since I got it relaxed and nothing has seemed to help. The best no lye I used was TCB Naturals and I'm thinking of going back to that. I think I only had breakage with that before because I was relaxing every 4 weeks and overlapping the relaxer. :perplexed Dumb, I know. I currently have 4 months of new growth. Help!

I switched from lye to no-lye and it was a really good decision for me.
My hair was dry at first, so I had to switch my regime to combat it. I use ORS Carrot Oil, Pure Vit-E and the baggy method. My hair is so much thicker, and not underprocessed as it was w/ lye.

So I say go for it, but you will have to change your regime, because your hair will be DRIER.

Thanks dannie. I'm going to search for info about phyto so that may help me avoid the dryness with reguar no lye relaxers.

dannie_19 said:
I switched from lye to no-lye and it was a really good decision for me.
My hair was dry at first, so I had to switch my regime to combat it. I use ORS Carrot Oil, Pure Vit-E and the baggy method. My hair is so much thicker, and not underprocessed as it was w/ lye.

So I say go for it, but you will have to change your regime, because your hair will be DRIER.

What do you think caused the dryness. Is that charcteristic of no-lye relaxers in general, or was it because of the switch from lye to no-lye....

I had a big under process problem with lye and switched to no-lye..

classimami713 said:
But can I use it since I currently have a lye relaxer? I got my virgin hair relaxed in June and it's not straight. I kinda don't mine that it's not 100% straight since I can wear it curly in a pinch but my hair has been shedding since I got it relaxed and nothing has seemed to help. The best no lye I used was TCB Naturals and I'm thinking of going back to that. I think I only had breakage with that before because I was relaxing every 4 weeks and overlapping the relaxer. :perplexed Dumb, I know. I currently have 4 months of new growth. Help!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Ive used a no lye relaxer for a few years now and have never experienced this dryness that folks talk about. *shrug* Ive also never used a chelating shampoo for build-up.
I dont know what to make of it. :confused:

KiniKakes said:
Ive used a no lye relaxer for a few years now and have never experienced this dryness that folks talk about. *shrug* Ive also never used a chelating shampoo for build-up.

KiniKakes which one did you use?

I am too going back to no-lye! I can't take the burning from lye which causes me to be underprocessed.

HoneyDew said:
I can't find the original one you told me about, they all have that new "value size" thing going on. Do you think they changed the formula? I want to do TCB touch up time. :confused:

I bought ORS no-lye normal and I am going to do a corrective with it in a few more weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. I used Silk elements lye the past two times and it left me underprocessed.

LocksOfLuV said:
KiniKakes which one did you use?

I am too going back to no-lye! I can't take the burning from lye which causes me to be underprocessed.

Ive never seen this in a BSS, but it is a gentle treatment, no lye relaxer by Johnson & Company. Everytime they bring it out, i am trying hard to read the label and get more information.... but thats all it says on the container.

It gets my hair very straight although its left in only briefly.

This was the first relaxer I ever used and it does get the hair super straight, lol, I have seen it in BSS's here in Philly and also Rite Aid, CVS, etc.
I love TCB Bone Straight, this is an oldie but goodie for me, but I believe this particular one is lye.
KiniKakes said:
Ive never seen this in a BSS, but it is a gentle treatment, no lye relaxer by Johnson & Company. Everytime they bring it out, i am trying hard to read the label and get more information.... but thats all it says on the container.

It gets my hair very straight although its left in only briefly.

KiniKakes said:
Ive never seen this in a BSS, but it is a gentle treatment, no lye relaxer by Johnson & Company. Everytime they bring it out, i am trying hard to read the label and get more information.... but thats all it says on the container. It gets my hair very straight although its left in only briefly.

Is this it KiniKakes??
(this is super)
JOHNSON PRODUCTS Gentle Treatment No Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer Super for Coarse or Resistant Hair
Explanation of Status

Description:
With Gentle Treatment No Lye Conditioning Creme relaxer you are just one simple step away from the hair you want, healthier looking and easier to manage. You have chosen a relaxer with a patented Gentle Timed Formula enriched with Aloe Vera Gel and conditioning agents that result in silky soft hair with body and a healthy sheen. Color Alert in the shampoo indicates when the relaxer residue is left in you hair. The Gentle Timed formula aids in worry free straightening for hair that suits your style.

Gentle Treatment No Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer Super for Coarse or Resistant Hair Includes:
(1) No Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer 7.75oz/220g
(1) No Lye Liquid Activator 2oz/59ml
(1) Neutralizing Shampoo with Color Alert 2oz/59ml
(1) Leave in Conditioner and Setting Styling Lotion 2oz/59ml
(1) Plastic Gloves
(1) Instruction Sheet
(1) Spatual for Mixing Directions
See Inside Box Ingredients
No Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer: Water (Aqua), Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Calcium Hydroxide, Lithium Hydroxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, PEG-75 Lanolin, Cocamidpropyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium 6, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Aloe Barbadenesis Leaf Juice, Fragrance (Parfum).

No Lye Liquid Activator: Water (Aqua), Guandine Carbonate, Denatonium, Benzoate.

Neutralizing Shampoo with Color Alert: Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Lauramide DEA, Citric Acid, Polysorbate 20, Polyquaternium 7, Fragrance (parfum), Methylchloroisothiasolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Phenosilfonphtalein.

Leave In Conditioner and Setting Styling Lotion: Water (Aqua), Polyquaternium 7, Oleth 20, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol (Pro Vitamin B5), Silk Amino Acids (Protein), Rose Extract, Chamomile Extract, Geranium Extract, Rosemary Extract, Clary Extract, Sage Extract, Jasmine Extract, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Red 40 (CI 16035).

Last edited:
KiniKakes said:
This is the mild / normal:

JOHNSON PRODUCTS Gentle Treatment No Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer Regular for Fine or Normal Hair (Quantity: 1 Complete Application)function setimage (newimg) { document.images['mainimg'].src = newimg;}
006c.jpg

javascript:setimage('/images/006c.jpg');
Description:
With Gentle Treatment No Lye Conditioning Creme relaxer you are just one simple step away from the hair you want, healthier looking and easier to manage. You have chosen a relaxer with a patented Gentle Timed Formula enriched with Aloe Vera Gel and conditioning agents that result in silky soft hair with body and a healthy sheen. Color Alert in the shampoo indicates when the relaxer residue is left in you hair. The Gentle Timed formula aids in worry free straightening for hair that suits your style.

Gentle Treatment No Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer Super for Coarse or Resistant Hair Includes:
(1) No Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer 7.75oz/220g
(1) No Lye Liquid Activator 2oz/59ml
(1) Neutralizing Shampoo with Color Alert 2oz/59ml
(1) Leave in Conditioner and Setting Styling Lotion 2oz/59ml
(1) Plastic Gloves
(1) Instruction Sheet
(1) Spatual for Mixing Directions
See Inside Box Ingredients
No Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer: Water (Aqua), Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Calcium Hydroxide, Lithium Hydroxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, PEG-75 Lanolin, Cocamidpropyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium 6, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Aloe Barbadenesis Leaf Juice, Fragrance (Parfum).

No Lye Liquid Activator: Water (Aqua), Guandine Carbonate, Denatonium, Benzoate.

Neutralizing Shampoo with Color Alert: Water (Aqua), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Lauramide DEA, Citric Acid, Polysorbate 20, Polyquaternium 7, Fragrance (parfum), Methylchloroisothiasolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Phenosilfonphtalein.

Leave In Conditioner and Setting Styling Lotion: Water (Aqua), Polyquaternium 7, Oleth 20, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol (Pro Vitamin B5), Silk Amino Acids (Protein), Rose Extract, Chamomile Extract, Geranium Extract, Rosemary Extract, Clary Extract, Sage Extract, Jasmine Extract, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Red 40 (CI 16035).

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going back to my TCB Naturals. I think the Mizani lye is too strong. My hair hever shed this bad with a no lye. If I mess it up, I can always start over in another 4 months with lye. I don't plan on doing a corrective to get the rest of my hair straight.

Back