Thinking about cutting...need some advice!

What should I do?

• Grow til you reach APL, then trim off the bad ends!

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Cut it now!

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters

Prose Princess

So I'm thinking about going to a salon and letting somebody (white) cut my hair. I attempted another braidout yesterday and woke up this morning to the most jacked up looking hair you've ever seen in your LIFE. :burning::burning: My ends are soooo thin and it seems like they just keep breaking, but I'm pretty sure it's because I haven't been using enough protein since I started my hair journey and I've been overmoisturizing. I've gained at least two inches in the last five or six months but my ends have been getting progressively worse, and they automatically make every hairstyle I do look bad so the only thing I can do is pull it back into a phony pony. I can't afford a sew-in, and I'm afraid that would end up doing more harm than good if it's not done right. I know if I get it cut I'll lose at LEAST an inch and a half, and there would be NO WAY that I could make my goal of APL by the end of May. Hell, I might not even make it by the end of 2009 at this rate. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I just need somebody who knows what they're talking about (so pretty much everyone on this board) to tell me if I should just give up and cut, or just put up with it until I reach my goal and then slowly trim off the bad ends. Keep in mind that the majority of the hair on my head right now is overprocessed AND reverted, except for my new growth. I'm transitioning to texlaxed at my next relaxer, which will be in about three or four more weeks. Take a look at my siggy and tell me what you think I should do!! (My hair is wet in my siggy btw) :sad: TIA!!

I'm going through the same dillema myself...I think I'm going to cut off about an inch next relaxer because my hair is much thicker two inches from the ends than my ends are. It's a hard decision, because I know it's hard seeing everyone on here with long hair, but, in my opinion, it's better to have short, healthy hair than long, stringy hair...good luck whatever you decide!

Last edited:
I didn't vote because I think you could do either of your choices, depending on your preference. First, the breakage problem must be solved, then you could either:

1) Grow it out to APL, but that would probably mean wearing your hair up alot to "hide" your ends until you're ready to trim or,

2) Cut the thin ends now. Yes, your hair will be shorter, but you'll have a healthy starting point.

I voted cut it now, because you will not regret it later. It's easier to have healthy short hair, but not damaged long hair. Cut it, and it will retain more length, and look loads better.
HTH

--Raven

I can't say whether you should cut it or not. I just came in to say that I've had my hair cut a couple times by white stylists and my hair came out okay. The first time I was still relaxed and got my hair cut into layers. I LOVED that style on me. If you get layers then your longest layer could stay pretty near the same length your hair is now.

Also, one thing to think about is that the longer your hair grows the harder it'll be to let go of length. If you wait til you reach your goal to cut your hair then you will feel like it's a setback, and may not even want to cut it then. But bad ends will still keep you from enjoying your hair.

I can't say whether you should cut it or not. I just came in to say that I've had my hair cut a couple times by white stylists and my hair came out okay. The first time I was still relaxed and got my hair cut into layers. I LOVED that style on me. If you get layers then your longest layer could stay pretty near the same length your hair is now.

Also, one thing to think about is that the longer your hair grows the harder it'll be to let go of length. If you wait til you reach your goal to cut your hair then you will feel like it's a setback, and may not even want to cut it then. But bad ends will still keep you from enjoying your hair.

Hmmm, that's a good idea! It would reduce some of the shock of getting it cut at the very least. Thanks for the suggestion! :drunk:

So I'm thinking about going to a salon and letting somebody (white) cut my hair. I attempted another braidout yesterday and woke up this morning to the most jacked up looking hair you've ever seen in your LIFE. :burning::burning: My ends are soooo thin and it seems like they just keep breaking, but I'm pretty sure it's because I haven't been using enough protein since I started my hair journey and I've been overmoisturizing. I've gained at least two inches in the last five or six months but my ends have been getting progressively worse, and they automatically make every hairstyle I do look bad so the only thing I can do is pull it back into a phony pony. I can't afford a sew-in, and I'm afraid that would end up doing more harm than good if it's not done right. I know if I get it cut I'll lose at LEAST an inch and a half, and there would be NO WAY that I could make my goal of APL by the end of May. Hell, I might not even make it by the end of 2009 at this rate. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I just need somebody who knows what they're talking about (so pretty much everyone on this board) to tell me if I should just give up and cut, or just put up with it until I reach my goal and then slowly trim off the bad ends. Keep in mind that the majority of the hair on my head right now is overprocessed AND reverted, except for my new growth. I'm transitioning to texlaxed at my next relaxer, which will be in about three or four more weeks. Take a look at my siggy and tell me what you think I should do!! (My hair is wet in my siggy btw) :sad: TIA!!

First let me say that it's great that you actually know which part of your regimen needs adjustment. Sometimes we don't know and it's hard to move forward. First thing's first, assess, which you have done already, secondly, execute a plan of action which you have started here in this thread by asking for help, thirdly, ACT!!!

We all kow that long hair with painfully thin ends ain't pretty:nono:. So if they are really looking terrible, I wouldn't hold on to them, I would just let them go. Someone once said that she would rather have 10 short, strong, healthy strands than 5 deathly sick-looking long thin ones and 5 short strands that looks like they've been chewed off by a rat.

Very dramatic, I know, but true, unless of course you will be protective styling your hair to hide such flaws. You will certainly be happy after the trim when you see the healthy thicker appearance of it. You already know what's lacking in your regimen, so all there is to do after the trim is to take care of it properly at that point. If you didn't know what to do with it, I'd recommend just hiding it as it is until it grows out to the expected goal length then cut, but here we know that this isn't the case.

Goo dluck with it Prose Princess.

ETA: Just a note of caution before you cut your hair, if your hair isn't super thick, then having it layered will only make it look even thinner. Ask all thin haired girls like myself and a few others.

Last edited:
Well my first instinct was to say cut it. But your ends are thin not damaged? So basically I'm suggesting that you keep the healthy thin ends unless or untill they get damaged and deal with it. I think you might be in the same boat as me. Your back of the head looks so thin but it may be like when people have that between stage of growing their hair from a short cut to long. Well this is just your between stage from SL to APL.

I really hate to be giving out advice since I have yet to make a choice on my hair style but some options would be a protective style if a weave with a cap...People say the glue wont soak through if you use three but I'm scared...just making suggestions...:look: I know decisions can be difficult.

Back