Think Shea Butter is too heavy for your hair? Try this.

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
I've noticed that a lot of people on this board who don't really prefer Shea Butter state as their #1 reason, the heaviness of the butter. Being that I'm relaxed and my hair is not super duper thick, I thought it was too heavy for me also until I tried it whipped. I used to use shescentit butters, which are whipped and worked wonders for my hair, but I figured I could get more for my $ if I just whipped my butter myself. It comes out soft and fluffy and virtually weightless, melts on contact and goes on smooth, gives my hair shine and softness, its so silky when I take off my scarf.

This is my set mixture, I've tried several and will stick with this one.

Ingredients:

1/2 to 1 lb Shea Butter
2-6 oz. Coconut Oil (I use spectrum)
10-15 drops Vitamin E T-50
Any Fragrance or Essential oil of your choice. (Or not)

Method:

-Put SB in a bowl, get a bigger bowl with hot (not boiling) water, place bowl of SB in that bowl and wait until its almost completely melted.

-Add Oils.

-Blend for 5 minutes, put in the freezer for another 5. Continue this until your butter is light and fluffy.

-Package.

This mixture gets me at least 3 (8 oz.) jars and at least 1 (16 oz.). I use for my hair and skin. I also send some to my mother. HTH somebody. HHG!

i did something like this earlier when I was transitioning BUT i didn't whip it...sounds like something to try!
thanks for sharing.

I love it!! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm thinking of adding some 100% aloe vera gel to mine. I've always wanted some shealoe but didn't want to buy it. I'll let you know how it turns out with this addition.

This sounds great! I think I'm going to try this as soon as I order some shea butter. I'll primarily be using it on my face and new growth though because my hair is currently in braids.

Thank you so much! :)

Oh I am out of SB and may try this next. I keep telling myself I want to try SB with nothing in it. One day One day.

When I whip, though, and I've tried several times, it doesn't STAY light and fluffy like I want it to. I have since given up, lol.

Thanks so much. I just got an order os coastalscents shea butter and while it's great, I'd prefer a creamy mix. I'm all over this!!! wooo hooo!

I've created a mix similar to this before. (using both Coconut and Avocado oil) the one with Coconut was still too heavy, the one with Avocado was okay, but all in all, my natural hair doesn't react well with any of my Shea mixes. However I use the Coconut cream from NjoiCreations and it loves it. Shea with my relaxed hair worked well though.

i was just gonna ask that..i never mixed my shea butter..but would love to when these braids come out..does it STAY creamy and fluffy?!

Still stirring ...:ohwell:

ETA: Mix complete. I will be washing and applying the mix to my hair shortly. Can't wait!

Last edited:
Thanks for this post. I did this earlier today with mango butter, coconut oil, and argan oil. I didn't whip it, but I did melt the coconut oil and mango butter. Its a nice texture now.

Back