Think i just discovered why i don't retain any growth arghhhh

neanie

every time i take out my 'ouchless' elastic bands i have lots of hairs coming out with them

so much for bunning:wallbash: i take my hair bands out very slowly to prevent breakage and have tried bunning two ways and its still the same everytime
whether my hair is up in one or in a bun :(

where am i going wrong

every time i take out my 'ouchless' elastic bands i have lots of hairs coming out with them

so much for bunning:wallbash: i take my hair bands out very slowly to prevent breakage and have tried bunning two ways and its still the same everytime
whether my hair is up in one or in a bun :(

where am i going wrong

I second the previous poster's ideas!
I think the ouchless bands might be too much pressure on your hair and it's breaking your hair mid-shaft. They sell at walmart and sallys really good quality pins that are called hair pins (not bobby pins but, specifically hair pins- they have a bigger gap in between I wish I could give more information, but they are also made by goody) these or little tiny claw clips to keep it together.... they definitely snag your hair less AND provide lasting hold. Hair sticks are good subs too and I know a lot of long haired ladies on this board use them so it must not break the hair off at all (especially the polished ones). When I had long hair, I never ever liked hair ties because they always tugged at my hair and when I tried to use the elastics the pulling was too much on my scalp and it never looked clean.

I use either -- goody's spin pins (excellent!), good days hair pins (good; starts to nag after wearing all do if not properly positioned); stocking pony holder I made (excellent; my preferred choice).

You can saturate your bands in condish. I go one step further and apply a dab of oil on top of the my stocking pony holder.

I just buy tights, from walmart. I get the largest stretchiest pair, that aren't cotton and feel fairly smooth to the touch. The ones from the thigh part get wide enough for a head band I usually will use two of them.

Take the knee high or tight and cut the elastic off. Then start cutting strips I make mine about an inch and a half wide since when you stretch them they will strink a little.

Pretend you are cutting a hot dog into little medallions for beans and franks. Or maybe imagine cuting a card board tube from some paper towels in to little rings.

I hope that helps.

I agree wtih Qualitee. I like to use the Good Hair Days pins for my buns, because like you, I was having issues with the so-called ouchless bands. Here is a link to the site:

http://www.goodhairdays.com/magic-grip-tuth-hairpins.htm

Sally's Beauty Supply have a few selections as well.

Qualitee...your siggy has my mouth watering over here.:lick:

MY DD was always losing the ouchless ones or stretching out the scrunchies so I purchased these a couple of weeks ago and I will never use anything else. I put some oil on them before sliding them in my hair. When I take them out they are still lubricated and no hair loss. I LOVE THEM!!!

You can also try the flexi 8.. works great in holding your hair up without dealing with any type of ponytail holder

I don't think bunning works for everyone ,I find it messes up my hair and doesn't really do much in terms of protecting my ends ,when my hair s damp I do a large braid and roll it around pinning with a comb it works much better for me .

I switched to only using hair pins. I do not like the way hair bands snug on my hair.

Have you tried snipping the bands out and see if you have hair damage. Some times we put the band in to tight and then trying to take the out cause us to pull the hair.

I read a really good tip on BHM that suggested saturating elastic bands in oil. It worked for me and I stopped seeing any hairs on mine.

My DD and I use the ouchless bands once in a while, but I leave them in a jar of coconut oil so they're lubricated. I prefer to use pins or a silky knee-high instead.

Maybe try a more loose bun if you're getting hairs in the band when you take it out.

thank you ladies
and this is so frustrating i feel like im going in circles but i definatly will be looking to the satin scrunchies and the pins by goody kus i need sum retention in my life

I second this. When I was saturating mine in oil, I retained alot more hair. When I stopped, I noticed that the opposite was true.

I read a really good tip on BHM that suggested saturating elastic bands in oil. It worked for me and I stopped seeing any hairs on mine.

My DD and I use the ouchless bands once in a while, but I leave them in a jar of coconut oil so they're lubricated. I prefer to use pins or a silky knee-high instead.

Maybe try a more loose bun if you're getting hairs in the band when you take it out.
Never thought about a knee high stocking. Are you getting no breakage with it?

Never thought about a knee high stocking. Are you getting no breakage with it?

Hi Janda,

I have used the silky knee-high to secure buns for awhile and have no breakage. I use a knee high for my ponytail too, but will use a coconut-soaked ouchless band sometimes.

I cut across the elastic part and it makes a nice, stretchy, silky, non-damaging, ponytail holder or way to secure a bun.

AI use megahooks it think that's the name. I hook one end to my roots near ponytail then twist as tight as i would like the hook the other end either with the first end or into my hair. I but them at sallys. i first saw these when my DD came home from a photo shoot with then in her hair and i was so happy when all i had to do was unhook and we were good to go. here's what they look like at sallys
http://www.sallybeauty.com/ponytail-hooks/MTAGRP4,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair15

Ever since I discovered the flexi-8, the good hair day pins and the spin pins. I haven't looked twice @ an elastic band. I do use one loosely wrapped @ night though. Pins hurt my head when I sleep.

Back