Things You Think Are A Waste Of Time?

Sealing with Oil, after I moisturize...

Not saying that applying oil to the hair doesn't lubricate and nourish the strands, but oil does not prolong my Moisture Retention....DC'ing weekly does that

Oil doesn't seem to do anything for sealing moisture on my hair as well. Sometimes I'm too lazy to put oil in and I don't see a difference. The only time I have is when I sealed with a butter. Does your hair prefer butter?

Pre-pooing. Tried it once. I ain't gonna lie and say it didn't make my hair feel better but it's a waste of time to me. You're just washing out the product when the shampoo hits and it's another extra step. I don't have all day.
Finger detangling

Heavy protein treatments. (think Aphogee 2 step or Dudley's DRC 28).

Making my own products.

Washing my hair in sections. Now conditioning I'm fine with, but I've realized the washing portion isn't necessary when I've been protective styling (my hair is still detangled) and adds a lot of time on wash day.

Hot oil treatments. I can't be bothered with those anymore. Heating up the oil in the microwave, and then applying the oil to my head just took too much time. Prepooing overnight was too time consuming too. Although hot oil treatments and prepooing benefited my hair, I hated having to do these extra steps on wash day. I don't even like putting protein on my hair on wash days because I know I have to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. Sometimes I cheat and mix the two together, so that I don't have to keep jumping in and out the shower.

Hot oil treatments. I can't be bothered with those anymore. Heating up the oil in the microwave, and then applying the oil to my head just took too much time. Prepooing overnight was too time consuming too. Although hot oil treatments and prepooing benefited my hair, I hated having to do these extra steps on wash day. I don't even like putting protein on my hair on wash days because I know I have to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. Sometimes I cheat and mix the two together, so that I don't have to keep jumping in and out the shower.
Maybe you should give Audrey's GPB conditioner a try instead ;)

Maybe you should give Audrey's GPB conditioner a try instead ;)

GPB is actually my go to protein conditioner, but I've never tried it alone. Now that you mention it my hair is never hard immediately after using GPB, maybe I could skip the moisturizing conditioner. :goodpost: Thanks!

GPB is actually my go to protein conditioner, but I've never tried it alone. Now that you mention it my hair is never hard immediately after using GPB, maybe I could skip the moisturizing conditioner. :goodpost: Thanks!
Hi I always use it alone lol. And I have never had moisture or protein overload :)

But say god forbid we ever did we could always do a deep moisturizing conditioner afterwards ;)

Last edited:
Oil doesn't seem to do anything for sealing moisture on my hair as well. Sometimes I'm too lazy to put oil in and I don't see a difference. The only time I have is when I sealed with a butter. Does your hair prefer butter?

ITA...my hair retains moisture very well just using my water-based cream moisturizer (Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme). No oil, or butter for me

Deep conditioning outside of the shower. My braid-out routine takes long enough already. My conditioner stays on as long as it takes me to shower and rinse off.

ITA...my hair retains moisture very well just using my water-based cream moisturizer (Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme). No oil, or butter for me

My hair is normal porosity. I don't think I need to seal moisture in because my hair doesn't have an issue retaining it in the first place. Omg it's all making sense now lol. I'll stick with my butter but only when I need to do twist outs and stuff for extra hold. Not a fan of gel on the length of my hair. What do you use on your twist outs or whatever?

Back