Things That Worked For You At The Beginning Of Your Hair Journey That Don't Work The Same Now

irisak

So this is kinda a spinny of the things you think are a waste of time thread. What are some things you used to do that just don't give your hair that magical feeling anymore?

1. I used to swear by pre-pooing. It kept my hair soft and strong. Now I can't tell the difference so I just wash and dc

2. Mane and tail shampoo used to be my boo thang. I cowashed with it, prepooed with it, and used it as a leave in. Now my hair doesn't seem to like it at all.

3. Olive oil. Now it makes my hair stuff and dry.

I thought of two more.

My hair now hates any moisturizer with glycerin in it. But as a kid all I used was curl activator gel and grease. I could use it in the beginning of my journey but now my hair just feels hard.

I also can't use food products except for honey. I used to swear by eggs and mayo for protein. Now my hair only likes the hard stuff.

Roux's porosity control. It used to leave my hair so uber soft, now it just makes it hard and I believe the formula was changed. I hate it now so in the trash it goes.

At the beginning of my HHJ, Vo5 was my boo for cowashing. Suave was awful. The tables have turned.

The best cheapies for me are suave coconut, or daily clarifying conditioners

I can't wash my hair loose anymore. I have to do 4 sections or braids.

I can't really wash my hair in the sink anymore. Shower only.

I used to be able to go 2 weeks or longer without washing my hair. Now it's once a week and sometimes twice a week.

The biggest one is washing my hair loose and in 4 sections. Before this, I was washing my hair piled up on top of my head and the comb would glide through with ease.

These days though, my hair cussed and let me know it was not about that life.

Now that my hair is longer I have to wash and do everything else in sections.

My hair HATED every oil, now it tolerates sweet almond oil

Couldn't use Shea butter before, now it gives me definition for my chunky twist outs and braid outs like it is its full time job with benefits and matching 401K

Oh and my hair loved IC Fantasia gel and gave it waves for days, now it doesn't...

- Loose hair washing is out. Must wash in braids or my relaxed hair tangles.
- Weekly washing is doable but just too exhausting and too much manipulation while battling multiple textures.

WashNGos
Loose washing - ineffective after the TWA stage
Product junkyism - total waste of $$
Overnight GHE/baggying - with length comes matting/root webbing
SheaMoisture products - butter buildup
ACV rinses - not sure I got anything from this
Oils

Back