Thin Hair Regimen

Jada

Just wondering are there any thin/fine haired ladies out there, could you please tell me what your regimen consists of, products used as not to weigh the hair down..I finally came to the conclusion that I am using the wrong products. For example I would buy the Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry, damaged hair instead of the one for fine limp hair I hope this is making sense. I have just noticed that after washing, deep conditioning and styling say about an hour later my hair has no body, please help.
crazy.gif

*bump* I'm interested in knowing what routine is followed by people with fine hair.

I have very thin/fine hair. Right now I am following the method outlined in Carolyn Gray's book "Black Woman's Guide to Beautiful Hair In Six Weeks. I have been doing this since October, I usually wear my hair in a bun but when I do wear it down, I curl it with the Caruso steam curlers then sit under my hooded dryer to lock in my curls. My hair then has body and bounce the rest of the day. HTH.

I have medium thickness, very fine textured hair. Since I usually wear a bun, I'm not as concerned about fullness; but let's say that I had been wearing a bun for awhile and was going to do a rollerset; I'd do something like this:

1st lather: Joico Resolve
2nd lather: moisturizing shampoo (I like Redken Extreme)
Deep condition: Nexxus Humectress under the dryer, or if I need protein, Aubrey GPB not under the dryer.

*I think whats more important with fine hair is what you put on AFTER you wash and condition it.

Roller set on large rollers with a tiny (TINY) amount of wildgrowth oil concentrated on the ends, spritz through with Redken so long heat treat or leave in conditioner. Mostly spritz with water to keep hair really wet the whole time, and make the hair on rollers SMMOOOOTH.
Sit under the dryer. The only finishing products that I use would be a little gel on the edges, and maybe a few drops of jojoba oil and serum to work through the length.

For maintenance products with I wear my hair loose or roller set, I use jojoba oil, lightly spritzed water, and Giovanni Leave in (on dry hair) for moisturizing. When I wear my hair in a bun (which is 95% of the time), I moisturize more freely and heavily with similar products and shea butter on the ends or vaseline.

HTH

I had bad luck with the Redken All Soft, that made my hair hard. But I really liked the Redken Extreme Shampoo. The Redken extreme conditioner was kind of crappy though.

Its funny how products are like that, which is why I'll never be chained to a single brand.

Kaela, have you found or used a moisturizing conditioner that does not contain protein?

I tried to find one about a year ago with no luck
ohwell.gif

Almost all conditioners have it at some point on the ingredient list... Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
I have found that conditions that are marketed as moisturizing, with protein relatively later down in the ingredients list, have not made my hair hard though.

Its a creamy type leave in. The exact name is Giovanni Direct Stay-In Conditioner. I had tried it before on damp hair, and found that it works better for me on dry hair. I just use a dime size amount, and not everyday.

I am extremely fine haired. I shampoo with the CON for fine/limp hair but for 2 weeks, I have being doing the conditioner (pantene s&s) wash and rinsing with acv. I apply redken's antisnap to both towel dried (towel blotted) hair (9 weeks post relaxer) and comb to prevent breakage of any kind. I then air dry with some carrot oil. My ends are put in a ponytail which I twirl and roll up like a bun. My hair comes out full with a lot of body and for maintenance, I add distilled water to the carrot oil before applying to hair and ends or I use safflower oil and s-curl.
I want to start rollersetting next week and yes, the large rollers give volume!

But, what if you are getting too much protein? I read the current thread but I still wonder...if I am using a deep conditioner that contains protein and then follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner, I would think that it would be too much if the moisturizing conditioner contained protein too.

My hair has never complained about too much protein. It actually does love it. I used to use Joico kpac weekly but since I ran out, I turned to redken's deep fuel every 2 weeks. I get less breakage when it's wet these days.

The only time I had problems with too much protein was a long time ago when I was using Aphogee Damaged Hair Treatment. I had used it a few times for awhile with no problems (even spaced months apart) but the very last time I used it I had breakage!! After that I switched to GPB and haven't looked back. I haven't had a problem with too much protein in products hardening my hair. When I have any type of dryness or stiffness, its always corrects itself once I clarify.

I think if you stick to milder type protein conditioners, you'll be ok
wink.gif
(based on my experiences...)

When I think of others on the board that have had issues with too much protein, its almost always because too much strong treatments or too much product were used in a short space of time. I don't recall anyone having issues with a regular maintenance program using a mild conditioner...

I have never liked aphogee and though the hype on the board was tempting, I stayed out of it's path and used milder protein treatments (Joico and redken). I agree with Kaela. Regular acv rinse and even concentrated application to my scalp has been good in clarifying my hair.

I'm fine/thin haired (relaxed) also. Something all fine/thin haired women need to remember is that although moisture is very, very important, but so is protein. Here's my regimen:
-Intense Protein Treatment(ID Care PPT) once a month and a week before and after retouch followed by a moisturizing treatment(Kerastase Oleo-Relax Masque).

-Mild protein shampoo& a mild protein conditioner (PPt do) will be used once a week for the next 6 wks after retouch.

-For weeks 7-12, I switch to a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (Kerastase).

-CO washes 1-2xweek.
I believe the CO washes really helps my hair from being weighed down.

my hair used to be really thin and fine. i found that holding out on my relaxer for at least 8 weeks has helped my hair a lot! it's not very thick, but it's much thicker than it used to be. i also use no heat. most of the time i either do rollersets or braidouts. and i always use mousse after washes. my favorite it Charles Worthington RESULTS Body-Booster Silkening Mousse. it has no alcohol in it and it contains jojoba oil, shea butter, and avacado oil.

Im a fine haired relaxed 4a and I like Nexxus Headdress as a leave in because it adds volume to the hair. I usually add a bit of oil to it because it can make the hair appear a bit dull. Other than that, roller sets are the only style that adds volume to my hair. I recently began taking B5 supplements to thicken my hair as it grows.

Ditto to conditioner washes and stretching out relaxers. My hairdresser couldn't believe the volume my hair took up when I did my last touch up after 6 months post relaxer. My next touch up will be in during the last days of April or early May. I'm currently 9 weeks post relaxer!

Back