Thickness or Length First??

shetara20

When you first start to take care of your hair properly do you achieve thickness or length first????:look: I was just wondering because I dont see a lot of growth in my hair.

Length, then thickness :yep:

It makes sense...

The hair at the crown takes time to catch up with the hair below it.

For example, if you just got your hair cut in a blunt cut at BSL, then take a hair from your nape and one from your crown, the hair from your crown would be a lot longer.

I even made a little drawing :lol:

layerjh2.jpg

That's just how hair grows. I was an IDIOT and kept trimming my hair thinking that I had thin or damaged ends :wallbash: but I just had layers. For YEARS!

It's less easy to see in curly hair...

It makes sense...

For example, if you just got your hair cut in a blunt cut at BSL, then take a hair from your nape and one from your crown, the hair from your crown would be a lot longer.

layerjh2.jpg

That's just how hair grows. I was an IDIOT and kept trimming my hair thinking that I had thin or damaged ends :wallbash: but I just had layers. For YEARS!

:lachen: @ your illustration! I didn't quite get it. . .but that's okay. . .I will take your word for it :yep:

I definitely get thickness, first, then length - or, more accurately, the thickness creeps down my length, but I can observe the thickness before the length shows up. :yep: I assume that's because of my shrinkage, though - if my hair was straight, I might notice the length, first.

i have been noticing my hair is getting really thick especially towards the ends which were thinner. i'm looking forward to seeing both though.

As i've been going natural i've learned that my natural hair is fine. Most people who transition say that they have trouble with it because their hair was so thick and it had a lot of bulk..my hair is thicker but i'm just not experiencing a problem with thickness. With relaxers my hair always had length before thickness..i can't ever recall my hair truly being thick to where it was hard to handle, not even as a kid.

In my case, my hair has gotten fuller or thicker. I have not gain any length however. My hair grows at a snails pace. I believe that I will be SL by March or April 2009. My original goal was SL Dec 2008. I don't think I'll make it.

I would like more thickness than length. I have thin, fine hair and although I'm getting alot of length, I like my wigs better because of the thickness. (the wig I wear is about 2 inches shorter than my natural hair).

usually i see thickness before growth. but lately my hair's just been growing, and the thickness has remained the same. i'm not complaining, lol

I love your pic!!!

It makes sense...

layerjh2.jpg

Neith.. :lachen: Your pic... :lachen: Too cute!!

I agree w/ everything you said though. Thickness is noticed before length. It seems like your hair is growing 'out' instead of 'down'. And please believe I know all about trimming under the guise of 'thin ends...' :wallbash: Live and learn and then get LHCF. :D

As i've been going natural i've learned that my natural hair is fine. Most people who transition say that they have trouble with it because their hair was so thick and it had a lot of bulk..my hair is thicker but i'm just not experiencing a problem with thickness. With relaxers my hair always had length before thickness..i can't ever recall my hair truly being thick to where it was hard to handle, not even as a kid.

This sound like my experience, I get length first with an ounce of thickness..I don't mind because I have lots of fine hair .:grin:

I received length and then thickness, I had to slowly cut away my length (bottom layers) for a more thicker appearance. Also now that my top layers are catching up with the middle and back layers Im now starting to thicken up after a year of cutting growth for thickness!

It gets thick first, then I relax and i have length:grin:

but honestly...
stretching+no brushing and little combing has gotten me more thickness...and I retain length also at the same time...i feel like i'm "both ways Barack" on this one....that commercial is ridiculous btw...:rolleyes: but i digress...:look:

I definitely get thickness, first, then length - or, more accurately, the thickness creeps down my length, but I can observe the thickness before the length shows up. :yep: I assume that's because of my shrinkage, though - if my hair was straight, I might notice the length, first.

Justkiya - you are 100% correct. I always get the thickness first - then I get mad & say --"I want length!!:wallbash: Sorry, just got a little anxious :spinning:. Anywway, it's the length first w/ me, then the length.:ohwell:

Neith.. :lachen: Your pic... :lachen: Too cute!!

I agree w/ everything you said though. Thickness is noticed before length. It seems like your hair is growing 'out' instead of 'down'. And please believe I know all about trimming under the guise of 'thin ends...' :wallbash: Live and learn and then get LHCF. :D

I totally agree!

:thatsall:

It makes sense...

layerjh2.jpg

That was priceless! I love it!
I noticed I get thickness before length...It used to drive me crazy but now I embrace it.Who wants just length and super thin hair anyway?

I've always had thick hair even before I started LHCF but over time, it got thicker. I personally got length before thickness but thickness is a good sign of health.

I would definitely have to say that I see thickness before length. My hair is super thick right now, I'm just being patient until my length decides to make an appearance

Back