Thicker instead of Longer!!!

TigerLily

Hi all. I am natural and I just BC'd at the beginning of this month. I noticed that my hair is getting a lot thicker, but not longer. Will it get longer, later or continue to get thicker? Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you hair eventually grow longer?

It will do both. Just give it time. It may seem that your hair is not growing b/c of shrinkage and also because you don't have "new growth" to measure.
smile.gif

My personal opinion is that as your natural hair gets HEALTHIER, it will be evidenced by the thickness. It you have pets or notice how animals hair grows including horses....when their coats are thin, patchy dry and laying flank and flat, generally this is an indication that their diet is insufficient, that they are ill, or lack exercise and fresh air. I grew up around farm animals as a child. I live in a city but there are animals (dogs and cats)-pets of the neighbours everywhere. I notice the same about their animals. Anyway, Daddy would say " look at that coat...must be the mange..looking sickly...off its feed...looking mighty poorly..." and when it started to recover or its diet was changed by adding "mash" fruits, salt, etc. and its coat was rubbed down with oil concotions etc...and tended to...that same animal would show these changes:> Over a period of a few weeks, the bare spots on the coat would start to fill in...the dry patches would look clear and healthy..the coat would start to thicken and the hair would stand out away from the skin and it would look like the hair was growing out of goosebumps. It would get significantly thicker before it got longer. Now my hair is always getting thicker and thicker quicker than it is getting longer. And even though it hangs down, it does not lay flat against my scalp. It stands out at the root. so it is healthy,..now the length is starting to show but what makes me really happy is that it is nice and thick. Cause I want to have healthy thick thick long hair. When my hair starts to grow longer, it starts to look a little less thick, and the after the growth spurt, it bushes again. Hope this helps.

[ QUOTE ]
DelightfulFlame said:
It's happening to me too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish it would happen to my hair.
ohwell.gif

I've experienced this twice: Once when I took out this really tight cornrowed hairstyle last year and noticed a lot of short hair growing in--it seems that a lot of hair had pulled out and I was gaining a lot of new hairs. So my hair looked 'frizzy' at the top for quite some time.

Second time is what I'm experiencing now. I wear a ponytail most of the time; I noticed that the hair in the ponytail was getting thicker and fuller... I realized that my very short hair in the center of my scalp was finally growing out, thus making my hair fuller.

By the way, lately I stopped measuring my hair... I see and feel that its growing, even though the numbers don't reflect it. Funny how that works
smile.gif

What does everyone mean by getting thicker, does ur hair strands become thicker, or growing more strands in one place, if not how does they hair become thicker? I want my hair too be alot thicker and full, when am in twist and braids, I think its thin and flat

Give it some time. The hair grows in a curl shape, so while you can stretch the hair down to your chin line it will bounce back, and appear to grow "thicker".

Try washing your hair, then wrapping it around a hair roller. When it dries it will appear longer for a few hours.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this! My hair feels a lot thicker since I cut it, like I have a lot more hairs coming in, but it's not translating into length. (I hope I'm explaining this right!)

Our hair doesn't grow down because of how light the follicle is. It's thin and fragile, and nutrients do not slip down the hair shaft, causing it to weigh down and straighten.

It will be a long time before your head of hair is heavy enough to lie down. For now, it will just look "thicker".

Back