They say "A workman is only as good as his tools"..

Louisex3

and my tools are seriously slacking!
I'm looking to buy a new hair dryer, a steamer and some new straighteners.

Any recommendations on brand? things to look out for when buying? is an iconic dryer better than a normal one? etc etc.

thanks in advance ladies.
also, I'm on a tight budget, so I'm not looking at the top end of the market, but I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money on good products.

I'd say start at Sallys. They have an awesome return policy and they're always having some kind of deal. Tool Science is a good flat iron brand and I love my Hot n Silky Dryer and it was only $29 bucks I think? I am a very frugal woman thanks to my mom and I would never pay more than $40 for any heat styling appliance. As for steamers, I can't help you there.

I know GHDs are a bit on the expensive side but I think they are worth the money.
They will make your hair soooo sleek, straight, bouncy and shiny. For me, my hair wasn't that healthy but they made it look like it was!! hahah

I'm frugal too...

My steamer is 2 plastic caps and a turbie twists in 30mins - 1hr I'm dc'ed to the fullest if you want more steam go on the bathroom and do your showering with it on. Price 5.00 for many plastic caps and the turbie thing from ebay
If you do wanna buy a real one they have some on ebay about 70-80 bucks that resemble the heautiful steamer

For my flat iron... I checked with the ladies here then checked my pocket book lol many liked the Hana Elite... I didn't have the money for luxury so I went with the Hana Professional. It's been about a year and no let down.

Blow Dryer... The yellow bird was pretty popular on youtube. Many people believe Ionic is better and I'm kinda one of them but as long as I have a pik and diffuser attachment I'm good. Ebay also has great prices on good brands. So overall if you don't see what you want at a Sally's (by the way they have good deals on hooded dryers) then hit up ebay.

All together regardless of where you went I wouldn't spend over 300 for the whole kit and kaboodle. Flat Iron 120 or below http://www.misikko.com/hana-professional-flat-iron.html?gclid=CMSTivrJg6oCFQSt7QodZRhBkA, dryer (hooded http://www.sallybeauty.com/bonnet-dryer/SBS-255271,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH and regular http://www.sallybeauty.com/conair-hair-dryer/SBS-345751,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH) 100, and steamer 80 http://cgi.ebay.com/2-1-Facial-Hair-Steamer-O3-ozone-Device-Beauty-/220747704187?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item336596a77b#ht_2471wt_928.

Last edited:
I bought my steamer at salonsrus.com and they have fantastic customer service. My sister bought a hair dryer from that site as well. They have free shipping on all orders.

If you're going to invest in a good flatiron I recommend a Chi. You can get one at Sally's or ULTA.

ETA: I bought my Pibbs hair dryer off of Craigslist from a salon owner that was purchasing new dryers and wanted to get rid of hers. I would recommend Craigslist if you're on a budget.

I bought my steamer at salonsrus.com and they have fantastic customer service. My sister bought a hair dryer from that site as well. They have free shipping on all orders.

If you're going to invest in a good flatiron I recommend a Chi. You can get one at Sally's or ULTA.

ETA: I bought my Pibbs hair dryer off of Craigslist from a salon owner that was purchasing new dryers and wanted to get rid of hers. I would recommend Craigslist if you're on a budget.

BostonMaria

How does your sister like the dryer? I'm gonna buy it in a couple of months and maybe the steamer if my money is acting right. Have you had any trouble with the steamer?

i paid too much for my flat iron, but i love it.... it's an h2pro and it's seriously better than any flat iron i've ever had.... that ran me about 110....

hair dryers.... my best one is actually an old school vidal sassoon dryer from walmart, about 16 bucks... the one that's like a giant comb, with the small tooth, large tooth and brush attachments.... i also have a pibbs that i bought a few years back for a little over 200, but i rarely use it....

no advice on steamers... i've never used one (or had one used on my hair)...

@BostonMaria

How does your sister like the dryer? I'm gonna buy it in a couple of months and maybe the steamer if my money is acting right. Have you had any trouble with the steamer?

naturalTAN my sister's had her dryer since 2009 and she loves it. She's had no issues with it at all.

As far as my steamer, I "accidentally" broke the first one I bought (stupid and long story) so I bought a cheaper one and I hate it. I am going to at some point sell this one and buy the $140 professional one. The other one is ok but the water evaporates way too quickly.

naturalTAN my sister's had her dryer since 2009 and she loves it. She's had no issues with it at all.

As far as my steamer, I "accidentally" broke the first one I bought (stupid and long story) so I bought a cheaper one and I hate it. I am going to at some point sell this one and buy the $140 professional one. The other one is ok but the water evaporates way too quickly.

Thank you. It's been hard finding reviews on this brand and I want to make sure it's worth it. Thank heavens you and a few other ladies here have it so I know it's a quality machine for a good deal.

If anything get a steamer first

I agree

The steamer is AWESOME and leaves my hair so moisturized. My wash n' go's and my rollersets come out so nice after I steam. The deep conditioner just melts like buttah in my hair. Why I think I just had a hairgasm just thinking about it LMFAO :lol:

Sorry for the late reply ladies, but thanks for your feedback.

Msmchy i live in England, so have never got to experience this Sallys that I have heard such great things about :(

I'd say start at Sallys. They have an awesome return policy and they're always having some kind of deal. Tool Science is a good flat iron brand and I love my Hot n Silky Dryer and it was only $29 bucks I think? I am a very frugal woman thanks to my mom and I would never pay more than $40 for any heat styling appliance. As for steamers, I can't help you there.

Cosign with Sally's. The Sally GVP equipment is great. I have the digital version of the CHI and it's great and I got it with a 20% off coupon while it was on sale. I haven't tried the blow dryer, but every Sally GVP product I've used hasn't failed me.

Back