The urge to BC

sumertyme08

The problem isn't my natural hair it's these relaxed ends!!! Today I deviated from my very SIMPLE regimen and I washed my hair with shampoo standing up in the shower. I usually only to co-washes but from some reason I wanted to shampoo....WRONG MOVE!!! My hair is so incredibly tangled I just don't know what to do, and it's not my natural hair that's tangled, it's my relaxed ends. The comb glides from root to about an inch into my relaxed hair and I just don't know how to detangle this mess....I'm starting from the bottom up and can only get maybe 4" up..I've heard more snaps from broken hair today than I have all year long!!! :wallbash:

I currently have GF sleek/shine conditioner in which usually gives me "slip" not working...I added some baking soda to it....still nothing...Cutting right now seems to be the only way to get through this hair. My hair is currently MBL and it's feeling like it's about that time....however....if anyone out there can give me any suggestions on detangling my hair in this state I would truly appreciate it..TIA

If you are ready to BC then I guess this is a good time to do it. But if you are not ready then try using a detangling spray if you have one. Some say drenching hair in olive oil or whatever oil you have and let it sit in the hair for at least an hour. I've seen some say use a pin to work through each tangle instead of combing. Hopefully others will chime in.

If you still have the conditioner in your hair try coating your hair with an oil (olive oil, coconut oil, soybean) whatever you have on hand, don't massage it in, just concrete on adding the oil to your ends, then try combing out the tangles, first with your fingers then with a medium sized comb or a wide tooth comb. It should do the trick. Shampooing aint all that, definitely stick wtih the co-washing.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me during my transition. :wallbash::wallbash:

What I found that helped immensely was to partially dry the hair, specifically the relaxed ends and I'd shampoo with CON shampoo (really helped make the hair more slippy).

I also detangled a bit differently, have some pics in my fotki that aren't the best but can probably give you a rough idea of what I did on really tangly days. I used a denman but a wide tooth comb may be better.

http://public.fotki.com/IsItOnlyHair/textureshair-typing-/detangling/

The chemical ends acted like they were glued together yet a comb could easily get through it as long as I wasn't trying to run a comb through the entire length of hair. Don't forget the conditioner!

Don't cut unless you are really ready to do so, shrinkage can be quite the shock.

The problem isn't my natural hair it's these relaxed ends!!! Today I deviated from my very SIMPLE regimen and I washed my hair with shampoo standing up in the shower. I usually only to co-washes but from some reason I wanted to shampoo....WRONG MOVE!!! My hair is so incredibly tangled I just don't know what to do, and it's not my natural hair that's tangled, it's my relaxed ends. The comb glides from root to about an inch into my relaxed hair and I just don't know how to detangle this mess....I'm starting from the bottom up and can only get maybe 4" up..I've heard more snaps from broken hair today than I have all year long!!! :wallbash:

I currently have GF sleek/shine conditioner in which usually gives me "slip" not working...I added some baking soda to it....still nothing...Cutting right now seems to be the only way to get through this hair. My hair is currently MBL and it's feeling like it's about that time....however....if anyone out there can give me any suggestions on detangling my hair in this state I would truly appreciate it..TIA

You might want to lay off the baking soda. Also whatever you do, comb from the bottom up. The other way can make the relaxed hair tangle up worse! That demarcation line is crucial!

Been there done that. I am mbl as well and not ready to part with length.
I will share what I do that has helped me to keep the hair on my head. I had a similar experience at about 4 months post.About this time some of my staples stopped working for me.I spent hours detangling with stretchy/mushy hair with conditioner in it. I think I even cut out 2 knots. I said never again.

1.I detangle(seamless comb) in sections on dry hair with oil: vatika, grapeseed, olive, etc.
You can put a cap on and sit under warm dryer also before detangling

2.I plait my hair in sections I want to rollerset and secure with kid barettes
I leave the last few inches loose. I wash and dc my hair this way. I just have to spend more time rinsing and working product through my hair.

3.I use creamy leave ins. I dilute i.e. salerm 21 b5 in a spray bottle and "smoosh"it through/squeeze through the braids.

4.I rollerset the braid on gray rollers and sit under pibbs for 1 hour. After that I unbraid up to nearly the demarcation line( the start of problems for me) and replace the roller without combing. I usually work with soaking wet hair, but sometimes it will have dried more, so I may re mist.

5.When fully dry, I apply heat protectant and flat iron to demarcation or use tension blowdrying method to stretch my ng a little bit. Minor tangles here and there at the most. Any crimp from a braid falls out on the relaxed parts.

Porosity control shampoo and conditioner may help.

I also suggest products with behentrimonium methosulfate high up in the ingredient list. Helps with detangling/keeping hair detangled.
i.e
baba de caracol dc
bpt wheat germ dc
jane carter's deep conditioner
EO conditioner( not a dc)
renpure organics
organix conditioners have some too

HTH
because I've been there and lived to tell it! Whew I am tired now from all that typing, lol

Thanks ladies for your replies. It took me hours but in the end I made it through. I did have to cut through a few knots out and end the end I cut my hair to my shoulders.I still have a long transition ahead of me because I won't do a full BC until I'm shoulder length unstretched. I'll definitely be using many of the suggestions you've given.

I don't think I'm ever letting shampoo touch my hair again. I was doing just fine with co washing for the last couple months, excellent actually...so I don't know what got into me!!!

Back