The Ultimate Hardcore No Heat Challenge 2013

Still just relying on bunning and braid outs, I don't really have a style update for February. I'll try to get a hairstick picture or something.

Still haven't cheated! So glad that I don't have a flat iron and that I've been working so many hours lately that I don't have the energy to get all dolled up to go out!

Evo-ny congratulations, the first three months are the hardest.

A lady in the HL 2014 thread retained 1 inch per month by
1. Applying a mixture of MT and oil to her scalp daily
2. GHe nightly
3. Bunning

I am going to do this all winter and see if I can beat the winter slow grow blues. Of course I will still do my onion mask, and I have started doing henna.
Need to go look in that henna thread because I have a ton of questions. Henna is a like a gift from God to the fine haired natural.

I want to give henna another shot. I ordered a sample packet of henna and indigo online a few years back, basically just enough for a strand test. I really liked the results, so I went to Lush and picked up a block of caca noire.

Biggest hair setback ever since my journey began!!!

Maybe I didn't mix it well, but it matted my hair terribly and took 2 hours plus a litre of conditioner to get it out. Lost a lot of hair that night.

Next time I try henna, I won't cheap out and I'll pay full price for the fine powdered henna I got the sample of.

Hey! Just wanted to update. I failed. I really wanted to go all 12 months but Ive been in the mood for a blowout. I do still plan to keep heat to a minimum this year! Good luck to all of you. Cheering you on!
:dance7:

Sholapie Nice pinup
Evo-ny I think henna is pretty advanced, the moisture protein balance has to be on point. Maybe your hair is fine without it. I Ghe nightly, and only style my hair weekly.
alove15 ah the blow out called. The first three months is the hardest.

Ivebeen meaning to post my noheat style for days sorry yall but here it is. Itll be a bun prob like 90-100% of the time lol. been using a dounut and i love it because i can go from one wash day to the next without touching it. I love playing in my hair but this is working so ill stick with it.

excuse the nappy nape... 10 weeks post and even though MOST my hair is actin right my nape is.... smh

Attachments

• IMAG0463.jpg
    IMAG0463.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG0467.jpg
    IMAG0467.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Sholapie thank you! All I used was aussie 3mm mixed with ors carrot oil in a spray bottle with water to moisturize. On the edges elasta qp mango butter and the scarf method. :)

Evo-ny congratulations, the first three months are the hardest.

2. GHe nightly
3. Bunning

I am going to do this all winter and see if I can beat the winter slow grow blues. Of course I will still do my onion mask, and I have started doing henna.
Need to go look in that henna thread because I have a ton of questions. Henna is a like a gift from God to the fine haired natural.

Seamonster Muy interesante!!! Who is this HLer that you're referring to? Are you using the original MT formula? Do you know what the difference really is? Forgive my laziness when it comes to LHCF searches. :look: Also, what type of oil will you be mixing your MT with?

I was thinking about doing OCT while in this weave & decided not to. I still haven't ruled it out & this routine sounds interesting. I need to get to MBL by 12/31/13!

nakialovesshoes I am going to use different oils as I work thru my stash. Yes, I have the original MT, and the original Oct. It last me a while since I stretch it with oil.

I forgot the HLer's name. It was recent, so if you read the hl 2014 thread, she is in there.

Okay, gonna use a cheat for this week only. Have an interview + bday bash to go to. This is the longest I have EVER been w/out heat. Almost 2 full months on the 25th. Will post pics after I condition/flat iron

Ih wow I still have a full bottle of megatek and the bottle if avocado spray in my cupboard

@ Kerryann

Let me know if you want to sell...

Seamonster - what's your OCT/MT to oil ratio? The site says that the 12 oz bottle is a 3 month supply so I was wondering how long it would last me mixing it with oil. TIA...

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
Seamonster,

I am coming today to ask for MERCY!!!!! lol

I went out last night and had a couple drinks. I am getting my hair braided in a few minutes and was told to wash and dry my hair. I had to blow dry it. I know that I wasn't supposed to use ANY heat at all, but because I was lazy, I had too.

Mercy Seamonster, MERCY!!!!!!

Seamonster,

I am coming today to ask for MERCY!!!!! lol

I went out last night and had a couple drinks. I am getting my hair braided in a few minutes and was told to wash and dry my hair. I had to blow dry it. I know that I wasn't supposed to use ANY heat at all, but because I was lazy, I had too.

Mercy Seamonster, MERCY!!!!!!

Kerryann There you go, use that stuff if it works for you
Ijanei Two months is good, congratulate yourself on accomplishing a new heat free stretch. Please tell us if you notice any difference in your hair
nakialovesshoes I use a 50/50 mix but the bottle probably last me a over a year because I only apply it to my scalp every other day. Sometimes just twice a week if it was a protein or henna week.
Lovingmywaves12 You made it two months. The start of a heat free regime is the hardest. We require pictures as penance, and all is forgiven. You have used one of your four passes for the year. Keep up the good work. Be sure and let us know if your hair feels healthier.

As requested by Seamonster, here are the before and afters, lol.

The left is the before. The middle is after the blow dryer. The right is my hair in braids and with my hair crack on my scalp.

My stylist told me that I need my ends clipped, so I will probably get it done next month. My hair will be in these braids for the next 30 days. Next time I wont be lazy and I will do it correctly so that I don't have to use heat. I normally NEVER use heat. I don't like it and I feel like it takes too long for my hair.

Lesson learned!

Attachments

• 20130216_112036.jpg
    20130216_112036.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 18
  • 20130216_122411.jpg
    20130216_122411.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20130216_175717.jpg
    20130216_175717.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 33
@Evo-ny congratulations, the first three months are the hardest.

2. GHe nightly
3. Bunning

Seamonster nakialovesshoes

This sounds an awful lot like what I posted in the HL 2014 thread. I FAITHFULLY got an inch of growth and retained it by combining MT & JBCO and applying to my scalp, GHE nightly and keeping my hair in braids.

That's the WHOLE reason I'm back in braids now and will be for the rest of the year. So I can see where I am by the end of the year if I keep up with this. I can answer questions if you have any :grin:

Lovingmywaves12 The braids are really cute
:lachen: after you told me what it was, I proceeded to copy it. Great regime. I am waiting for just grow already to hand me a discount so I can get the length check t-shirt. Tracking my growth for the rest of the year.

Do you have a perm and color? It looks like you need to up your protein game, and add a heavier butter to your ghe. My ends looked like that when I used a double process and didn't know about protein moisture balance.

@Lovingmywaves12 The braids are really cute
:lachen: after you told me what it was, I proceeded to copy it. Great regime. I am waiting for just grow already to hand me a discount so I can get the length check t-shirt. Tracking my growth for the rest of the year.

Do you have a perm and color? It looks like you need to up your protein game, and add a heavier butter to your ghe. My ends looked like that when I used a double process and didn't know about protein moisture balance.

@Seamonster,

No perm (perm free 6yrs), just color. As far as protein goes, I have started drinking protein shakes twice a day AND this is the reason I use MT. Its like a 60/40 mix MT & JBCO oil mixture.

My ends look ragged bc I am SCARED TO DEATH to let anyone in my hair with scissors. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry. I had a hair trauma back in 2008 where I had to cut ALL of my FULL SL hair down to a 1in TWA. I am really scared for that to happen again.

The phrases "cut" & "my hair" in the same sentence almost make me have a panic attack. It was that bad. I also dont want anyone getting scissor happy and cutting off more than what needs to be and setting me back.

Last edited:
**Repost from HL 2014**
Detangled my hair after a long day of selling Girl Scout cookies ... Detangled with my new TRESemme Flawless Curls conditioner that i got for $2! its thw Huge 39 oz. one so i said why not! I really like it for detangling and i love that it comes with a pump.
Heres some pics too
tumblr_micldkc4Em1rbw5ieo1_500.jpg

tumblr_micldvofJ51rbw5ieo1_500.jpg

tumblr_micleelnhf1rbw5ieo1_500.jpg

tumblr_miclepTcpN1rbw5ieo1_500.jpg

This is probably the normal amount of hair comes from my weekly detangle sessions.. not sure if that good or not but i think its fine.

I have a confession to make. I used a comb. Yes, I cheated, and used a comb. My scalp was crying, it was itching. So I used a comb to scratch it, and that tangled my hair, so I instinctively combed thru my hair. The good news is I found out that I don't need a comb to detangle.

Results of Three months of finger detangling
1. I was able to detangle my hair with a rat tail seamless comb in one pass. My hair was never this tangle free when I used a comb.

2. There were no matts or tangles until I used a comb

One of my main fears is that I will leave dreads in my hair, and won't know it because I am not thoroughly detangling my hair. It only takes me 30 minutes to finger detangle because I just haven't got the patience to do small sections yet. It seems to be working better than a comb. I will report back if anything changes.

Now I am kicking myself for not just figuring out a way to scratch my scalp with my fingers-massaging wasn't cutting it. Hoping that comb didn't effect my pretty ends :pray:

I saw this thread right at the moment I was thinking of heat and remembered my commitment lol:lol:.

No heat no relaxer no wearing my hair down straight buns. I'm no longer a happy camper doing a braid out soon before I get crazy! Lol

Man i haven;y posted in here in ages.....forgive my absence but i have a lil update no pics yet. I'll try to get some in on the weekend when i wash.

My hair has seen a big difference since i committed to hardcore no heat challenge and i'm happy i did. I have since found alternatives to straightening my hair after washing without heat. I have not officially tried none of the two yet but i know they will work out fine when i do. This weekend i will try my curlformers and post some pics wish me luck on my first attempt

I haven't posted in month of Sundays, I've been keeping my hair twisted up and my hair is doing great. I tried to attempt a roller set but I don't have the patients.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back