The TRUTH about BAKING SODA, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE and DR BRONNERS on HAIR

Re: The TRUTH about BAKING SODA, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE and DR BRONNERS on

The only thing I did was an ACV rinse and I cut that out a few months ago.
I'm finding the less I use on my hair, the better my hair is doing.

Re: The TRUTH about BAKING SODA, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE and DR BRONNERS on

Glad you ladies enjoyed it! I just had to share.

Thanks for sharing. I will definitely keep this info in mind for future usefulness.

You learn something new every day.

I love her videos. She is so organized and informative.

I think I understood her explanation of pH balance better than I did in school :look: Baking soda was my homie and now .... *sigh* I liked that it got rid of all the "buildup" on my scalp but now I'm thinking it could be just sebum as she explained in the video. Oops.

Interesting . . . thanks!

Loved that video. It confirmed I wasn't crazy.

I used to use Dr Bonner's Castile (Peppermint) when I first joined the forum. I was advised I should use it on my scalp only during my wash and then use CON on my hair. I was so new to LHCF that I didn't even know what I'm supposed to feel or do, but my idols were using these products so I did too. I'm so glad I stopped because I just don't remember feeling as good about my hair as I used to feel when I used Pantene or another sulphate moisturizing shampoo. I had that Castile soap for almost a whole because I just couldn't get with it, and was happy to give it to my MIL when she came to visit because she loved to use it as a body wash.

Now baking soda, I didn't need to use it more than once to know it was the debil. It probably spoke volumes to me too coz I don't use leave-in products so my hair really doesn't need clarifying. Anyway, I had heard that if you added it to shampoo, you'd make the shampoo a clarifier. Lawd ha'mercy! The minute I applied that to my hair, the b/r was filled with the smell you get when you're relaxing your hair. Panic galore! I rinsed it so fast and almost in tears thinking I'd relaxed my hair. Lawd, my hair felt so dry and rough and had this grayish, dull look to it. I had samples of L'Anza shampoo so I used one of the moisturizing ones to bring my hair back to life. I never let BS get near my hair after that again...except for when I heard it's good for the face and chanced that only to learn again that BS is NOT my friend. :wallbash: The only time BS has been good for me is when I have consumed it. In water, it is good for UTI and good for creating an alkaline environment inside (<--I haven't used it for that yet.)

I haven't used lemon for my hair because I've seen it in rinses for oily hair, and mine isn't.

Now ACV, I love and as you will see in a lot of the threads I've posted in it, I always say err on the side of caution by using less than you think you need, because any acidity is better than none and so even a drop changes the pH of water to be more acidic and therefore better for you hair than the water w/o it. Too much acidity breaks down keratin, which might explain why people who use a tblsp in a glass of water end up not liking how their hair feels.

Nonie .. how much ACV/Water do you use?

I love KimmayTube!

Her vids are are so professional and I like how she bases her product vids on scientific proof not popular hair forum tradition! :look:

Her styling vids are wonderful too! She's coming out w/ a DVD this Summer due to the huge response on YouTube - yay for her - she puts hours of research and countless hours of editing into these videos

I DO wonder though about all those people who seem to have great success using the products/ingredients/regimens that her research suggests is not good for our hair .. I mean it must work for them b/c they are not walking around bald!! ...

This proves how everything is not for everybody, even the products/ingredients/regimens SHE uses (for example I can't completely follow her washing regimen where she washes her hair loose in sections b/c we have different hair textures) ..

But I'm glad she is taking the time to enlighten people and at least get them to think about WHY something may or may not work and WHAT certain ingredients actually do so that we can all make INFORMED choices instead of jumping on every single bandwagon! I wish she would've been around when I 1st went natural LOL :yep:

I watched Kimmy's vids, and I appreciate her research.

Never tried any of that stuff in the 7.5 years that I have been chemical free or the 25 years before that. If it doesn't sound like it would make my hair soft and moisturized, I stay away. I think a lot of us would be better off if we just wash our hair with a moisturizing shampoo when it gets dirty, deep condition regularly, moisturize/seal and dust our ends. It's when we try to become kitchen chemists that a lot of us have setbacks. Stop trying to do so much, stick with the simple stuff that works.

Nonie .. how much ACV/Water do you use?

I eyeball it but it is usually about 1/4 cup (= 4 US tablespoons) in 2 gallons (= 32 cups) of water in a basin or bucket, which is 1 part ACV to 128 parts water.

I like her videos. Hopefully this will get some out of the mindset that if it's natural or edible, then it must be good. Not true.

I am so glad I watched this video. I was going to clarify my hair today with BS. This video was sooooo informative. I've never really been a fan of ACV rinses (can't stand the smell long enough) so I'm glad I stayed away from them. Here I was thinking BS was one of the best things we could use to clarify the hair, and then I find this out. Thanks for posting!!

I was using the Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild for DD's hair. She is only 3 months old. I am floored.

No more anything on my childs hair again! I will just let her mini fro be. :nono:

Oh yeah, THANKS OP!!!!

Thank you so much for posting this!

hmmm she said castille soap will make the hair obsorb too much water so what if you have dry porous hair??!!! could it fix it?? hmmmmmm

I DO wonder though about all those people who seem to have great success using the products/ingredients/regimens that her research suggests is not good for our hair .. I mean it must work for them b/c they are not walking around bald!! ...

This proves how everything is not for everybody, even the products/ingredients/regimens SHE uses (for example I can't completely follow her washing regimen where she washes her hair loose in sections b/c we have different hair textures) ..

Kimmaytube not only has facts, but she has a "stage presence" too, if you will. While I knew most of this info, you have to know how to apply it to a relative topic like hair,and not just have it in books in your home to throw out at people.
I recommend her channel to relaxed and natural fam and friends, since she started breaking down hair care.
But I am one of those that love my dr, bronner's(when I can afford it :look:) and ACV. You just have to know how to balance and buffer them with other products and a little goes along way.

hmmm she said castille soap will make the hair obsorb too much water so what if you have dry porous hair??!!! could it fix it?? hmmmmmm
Hi! :yawn:
I don't think castile soap would fix that.
Could the hair strands be dry and porus because you need to lay the cuticle down after you wet it and before it dries?
What about using a conditioner that has a lower ph that would help smooth down the cuticle after you wash the buildup from your hair. Then sealing the hair with an oil. HTH...Any thoughts??

Hi! :yawn:
I don't think castile soap would fix that.
Could the hair strands be dry and porus because you need to lay the cuticle down after you wet it and before it dries?
What about using a conditioner that has a lower ph that would help smooth down the cuticle after you wash the buildup from your hair. Then sealing the hair with an oil. HTH...Any thoughts??

Thats what im thinking--

But the moisturizing conditoners, what are most of their ph's? Low, or medium?

She said the ph your hair should stay in should be 4.0-7.0 (or was it 4.0-8.0)

Anyway, it would seems like it could help if your conditoner had a higher ph, and then you did a rinse with a low ph.

(But you could also just use heat to open up your cuticles)...

So what about using a low ph conditoner with heat...What would that do?

Im thinking you should just use products with a good ph all the time and thats it for healthy hair to keep it from getting dry so the cuticles can always stay uneaten through and closed.

I was also wondering about higher ph products like baking soda and castile soap "temporarily relaxing hair"-- How long would those results last? Would the dryness it causes because of the ph messing with the cuticle be permenant or have lasting damaging results that couldnt be fixed with a low ph? Would the bonds the high ph breaks be permenant like a relaxer? Im wondering why it would only be temporary because a relaxer isnt.

I like her videos. Hopefully this will get some out of the mindset that if it's natural or edible, then it must be good. Not true.

exactly, I bought Dr bronners to wash my hair with and no matter how small an amt I used my hair still felt stripped. even to shower with it made my skin tight to the point of being painful.

now I use it to wash out my kittehs littter boxes LOL. He doesnt seem to mind:grin:

A lot of the information she used to scientifically prove how Lemon juice, baking soda, ACV, and Dr. Bronners erodes hair I already knew. That's why I never used those products on my hair. Then one day I wanted to try the baking soda method for clarifying and for my hair it made it so clean and soft. I have only tried it one time, and I diluted the hack out of it and will only use that method every 2 months and continue to use my shampoo that I already have designed for my claifying in between the time.

I think people might get adverse effects from these products due to improper dilution, frequency, and using products that are just not good for their hair. Everyone's hair is different and she prove it in a scientific way, but genealogy what works for some people is not always going to work for someone else.

I was also wondering about higher ph products like baking soda and castile soap "temporarily relaxing hair"-- How long would those results last? Would the dryness it causes because of the ph messing with the cuticle be permenant or have lasting damaging results that couldnt be fixed with a low ph? Would the bonds the high ph breaks be permenant like a relaxer? Im wondering why it would only be temporary because a relaxer isnt.
I have had permanent cuticle damage before(overused heat), no product fixed my hair, just masked it. I just cut it off and went from there.
I can't vouche for any relaxing of my hair from castile soap except for when it is soaking wet. After those strands dry it's shrinkage city for me!:yep: But I do buffer my castile soap(dilute it) and use a homemade spray to smooth down my cuticle while it dries.
The bonds break at a certain pH or temperature, there is a pH threshhold that a product can cross to do that. Kimmaytube mentioned that in one of her videos, can't remember which one.

Last edited:

OMGosh - I can't view the video at work but I want to know:
- what now shall I mix my henna with? I usually mix it with ACV
- can anyone list or suggest condishes with the proper or acceptable pH level?
- had another one but forgot what it was LOL!

OMGosh - I can't view the video at work but I want to know:
- what now shall I mix my henna with? I usually mix it with ACV
- can anyone list or suggest condishes with the proper or acceptable pH level?
- had another one but forgot what it was LOL!

re the henna, I dont usually put an acid in my henna (ACV or lime juice) I think it only aids in releasing the colour in the henna. So maybe you can just skip it in your mix.

BTW the video isnt saying u shouldnt use these products (well the evidence re Dr Bronners is pretty damning lol) but for the ACV and baking soda it just means one should be using much much less of the product to acheve the same benefits.

hopefully when u get home you can get to watch the video :yep:

That soap is nothing to mess with... at least not for me. Thanks OP for posting this or rather Baggettcindy for bumping this to my attention. As others have said--this was very informative and eye opening... explains why baking soda never worked for me :lol:

Last edited:

Last week I tried to use baking soda on my hair for the first time and it didn't feel soft at all. I read online that baking soda works well to remove chlorine. From reading past threads on LHCF about women mixing baking soda w/ conditioner to soften the hair, I thought my hair would come out soft while still removing the chlorine.

I've also read that ACV removes chlorine too.

Now, I don't know what to do cause swimmer shampoos strip my hair something terrible.

O.T.

Priss Pot - Your eyes are beautiful in your siggy! The LASHES... :love:

Back