The smell

karezone

Alright, last night I relaxed after being 10 weeks post relaxer and I did a hennalucent treatement. Last night after I removed the rollers, wrapped, and put the scarf on, there was no smell. Now everytime I move, all I can smell is relaxer. My hair is not breaking, scalp is just fine, it is just that if I can smell it everyone else can.

Nobody wants to stand next to somebody whose hair stinks. I usually can not smell my relaxer. Is this normal.

Are you using the same relaxer as you did before?

I used to smell my "chemical fumes" and solved that by washing my hair again the day after relaxing.

Now, I wash my hair with my regular shampoo (I use Botanoil)after I thoroughly wash my hair with the neutralizing shampoo that comes with the relaxer. Then my Keraphix treatment and Humectress moisturizing deep conditioning. After my leave-in, I no longer smell any hint of my relaxer and can wait 3 or 4 days till my next wash.

I am using the same Motions Oil Moisturizer relaxer that I used last time. After I neutralized I shampooed with CON, towel blotted, applied the Hennalucent and then finished watching Star Trek (45 min). I washed out the Hennalucent with CON and conditioned afterward with Pantene Hydrating Curls for about 30 mins. I figured after all of that I should smell like Hennalucent, CON, or the VO5 conditioner in my leave in. Not relaxer. Every time I swing my head I smell it. I hate this.

i know i may be bad for this but i wash my hair with the neutralizing shampoo for like 20-25 minutes (no exaggerating--this is before the wash where i use my CON, that's like another 10-15 minutes--seriously) first i concentrate on my scalp/ rinse/ apply more shampoo/ then concentrate on the length of my hair (cause i'm paranoid about relaxer getting on it and sitting during the wash) then i just keep repeating this until my husband asks me if i'm drowning myself in the kitchen sink
laugh.gif
it doesnt do anything bad to my hair and i get way less "relaxer smell" i also follow up with CON and a 45 min deep conditioning with Queen Helene.

I will just try washing on Sunday just to eliminate the odor. I definetely can't go to class on Monday smelling like this.

This may sound weird, but I'm gonna say it anyway
smile.gif

After my relaxer a long time ago, I was convinced that I kept smelling the relaxer. I didn't know what to do because I knew that this was horrible. I washed my hair for a LONG time with neutralizing shampoo. STILL smell it. Ok so after a day my stupid self realized that it was the neutralizing shampoo I was smelling. Since I only use neutralizing shampoo after a relaxer, I just associate it with a relaxer smell and I could have sworn that there was some relaxer in that hair. That's more than likely not your problem, but just in case....
laugh.gif

No it is not neutralizer the Motions neutralizer smells really perfumey, like little old ladies so it is not that. At this point I would even settle for smelling like WGO instead of relaxer.

I would wash it with neutralizing shampoo. Just to be safe. Also - maybe you got the relaxer on something else? A shirt? A towel?

[ QUOTE ]
karezone said:
At this point I would even settle for smelling like WGO instead of relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
Your fumes must be really strong if you would settle for the stinky stuff!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I use my whole little bottle of neutralizing shampoo that comes with my relaxer kit when I retouch, just to make sure all of relaxer is out of my hair. So like Jainygirl, I'm washing my hair for about 20-30 minutes. I feel good about doing this, more peace of mind.
By the way Karezone, your avatar looks different (unless I'm trippin'). She looks prettier and happier.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

By the way Karezone, your avatar looks different (unless I'm trippin'). She looks prettier and happier.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right!!! awww sukie sukie!!! look at karezone letting the cutie pie out
wink.gif

I checked my towels and clothing no relaxer. Now my scalp is itching but there isn't any breakage at all. I ran a clean hair brush through my hair and did not get any strands. I am pretty heavy with the neutralizer also. The fumes are bad. I won't stand next to anyone b/c of them.

Yes I changed my avatar. I think that I (my avatar) look nice. I just changed my hair style and shirt.

I know what you mean about that relaxer smell. I just used to hate it when I relaxed...and this was after going to a salon.
nono.gif

I think that another wash would solve your problem because that relaxer could have very well penetrated the hair shaft and microscopic parts of it are still in your hair. I wonder if it will be too early to clarify being that you just did your touchup yesterday...
scratchchin.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
I know what you mean about that relaxer smell. I just used to hate it when I relaxed...and this was after going to a salon.
nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, my hair always smells like relaxer after I get my touch-up (at the salon). Actually it smells like a combination of relaxer and burnt hair to me!! (Because I get a blow-out after my roller-set). I hate that smell. I asked my BF if it smelled bad to him and he said no, but I can't even believe that!! I actually think it comes from my scalp, and not so much my hair. Yuck!!
crazy.gif

I rewashed my hair with Neutralizing shampoo last night in the shower, conditioned with Pantene Hydrating Curls, and let it air dry. The smell is gone. Thank God.

Back