THE SCIENCE BEHIND RELAXERS?

azul11

This may have been discussed already but i am doing an assignment on the science behind something and how it affects people's lives. like for instance the cellphone, how it works, how it affects people's lives and what new innovations are being made to it. i am doing something similar with relaxers. anyone know the science behind them? the teacher mentioned that we can do hair dye and relaxers immediately came to my mind. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. God bless you all.

ohhh thank you so much. i guess the innovation for the relaxer would be the japanese hair relaxer? God bless you all.

I think it would help to find out what the subject and nature of the class is? In what context are you asking this qustion? What is the purpose of the assignmen? Is it psychological or is it scientific. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear your question is dependency on relaxers or the pyschology of relaxing hair. I think of the original state of my hair (kinky) and the reasons why my mother or others chose/choose to relax our hair. I think of what I would do if I no longer had the option of relaxing my hair. There are so many different ways of interpreting your question so please elaborate. It sounds like an interesting topic.

He's my hottie of the week...Sean Paul....he sings Gimme the light and is in the Make it Clap remix with Busta Rhymes. He's a reggae artist from Jamaica.

I don't have any cute signatures..so I'm doing hottie of the week now! At least for now....

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
He's my hottie of the week...Sean Paul

[/ QUOTE ] I thought that was Sean Paul. He's cute. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think I can help ya. Here it is in a nutshell. Hair is made up of amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) Cysteine is the main amino acid in hair. Curly hair has much much more Cysteine than non-curly hair. Our "kinky" hair is considered curly regarding this subject matter. A cysteine amino acid contains a sulfur bond. The chemicals in relaxers (Sodium Hydroxide OR Guanidine Hydroxide) break down the sulfur bonds in the cysteine. The result is less curly/kinky hair OR straight hair, depending on the strength of the chemical and the time it remains on the hair.

I hope this helps ya!

thank you. to answer the question before this is a science class so it is a scientific view of relaxers more so than a psychological view. /images/graemlins/smile.gif God bless you all.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
This may have been discussed already but i am doing an assignment on the science behind something and how it affects people's lives. like for instance the cellphone, how it works, how it affects people's lives and what new innovations are being made to it. i am doing something similar with relaxers. anyone know the science behind them? the teacher mentioned that we can do hair dye and relaxers immediately came to my mind. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. God bless you all.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like an interesting paper to work on. Let us know how it goes. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back