The Round Brush and other Tales of Unwelcommed Hair Advice

chayil0427

I work with a very sweet guy who also has a salon business. Well because of my horrible experience with Elasta QP DPR-11 last night my hair was not looking so great today.

Well he asked me about it and I told him how tangled it was and how I tryed to straighten it while I dried but it was just too tangled to get the brush through. Well he (he's black) said OH NO! WE don't use round brushes.

I been using a ceramic round brush for the duration and I've never had a problem using it when my hair is well conditioned and detangled with some slip. I was just wondering why he...and other people I've met always wanna give me hair advice. Some women will look tore up from the basement floor up or there hair will have been the same length since you've known them YEARS even and they still wanna tell u what u can or can not do to black hair. It's just so irritating.:wallbash:

Anyone else got some tales of unwelcomed hair advice? Do share.

Chayil

I work with a very sweet guy who also has a salon business. Well because of my horrible experience with Elasta QP DPR-11 last night my hair was not looking so great today.

Well he asked me about it and I told him how tangled it was and how I tryed to straighten it while I dried but it was just too tangled to get the brush through. Well he (he's black) said OH NO! WE don't use round brushes.

I been using a ceramic round brush for the duration and I've never had a problem using it when my hair is well conditioned and detangled with some slip. I was just wondering why he...and other people I've met always wanna give me hair advice. Some women will look tore up from the basement floor up or there hair will have been the same length since you've known them YEARS even and they still wanna tell u what u can or can not do to black hair. It's just so irritating.:wallbash:

Anyone else got some tales of unwelcomed hair advice? Do share.

Chayil

I'm sorry about your hair! I don't understand what happened with the DPR11!! It always gives my hair slip and softness! I'm so sorry.
P.S. I'm probably the one giving hair advice more than anyone else so I don't know how to answer your question. :ohwell: Sowwie...mami! Hope things get better for ya.:yawn:

I had someone tell me that I should get my hair done in tight ponytails, and even I could grow hair like her. I have never seen the length of her hair, but I can tell you her hairline starts in the middle of her head. :ohwell: Did I take her advice? NO, but I did want to tell her get some BT to take care of those edges though.

I've been told several times that I wash my hair too much and that I ain't white:ohwell:This usually seems to come from some relative whose ends look like rats have been chewing on them. But once a stylist told me the same thing...albeit he looked like Nick Ashford about the head:nono:

How on earth can washing hair once, maybe twice a week be seen as too much?

I've been told several times that I wash my hair too much and that I ain't white:ohwell:This usually seems to come from some relative whose ends look like rats have been chewing on them. But once a stylist told me the same thing...albeit he looked like Nick Ashford about the head:nono:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I get that too. Or if I say I use a round brush, I'm trying to be white! What is wrong with people?

Funny thread!

I remember when I first BC'd I ran outside while it was raining to "remoisturize" my hair (I had serious hand and fro at this time so my sexy Fant. IC wash n gos would be picked to death by midday), a hairstylist who ALWAYS had a weave and *snaps fingers* this much hair for the year and a half that I knew her comments;

"Girl you better get out of that rain, you aint white!" She then proceeds to say to another woman "Look, she go natural and think she white now."

Yes, because only white people can go out in the rain, other people's scalps melt off.

The stylist who tried to tell me that Mane N Tail would grow my hair even though she had no hair to speak of. When she saw me looking at her damaged tresses she goes "But I don't need no long hair."

"Girl you should just blowdry with some of that ampro gel and wrap your hair everyday like I do."

Why? So it can look like I have two sleeping badgers matted to my skull?

"If you straightened your hair it would be so looooong."

It's long now, I don't need to straighten it to know that.

"Girl, you need to get a perm for that thick sh*t"

...well you need to get some butter for those rolls on the back of your neck:badcop:

I don't have a story (yet) but I just wanted to say that I'm glad that I'm not the only person DPR-11 didn't work for. :yawn:

Girl...you should see some of the people who give me advice...hair that's nasty, ate up, dried up and just all the way wrong! I wanna scream "HAVE YOU SEEN THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD LATELY???"
I am by no means perfect, and that's the exact reason why I refrain from going around giving unsolicited advice!

Girl...you should see some of the people who give me advice...hair that's nasty, ate up, dried up and just all the way wrong! I wanna scream "HAVE YOU SEEN THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD LATELY???"
I am by no means perfect, and that's the exact reason why I refrain from going around giving unsolicited advice!

:lachen:i remember once i went to a salon here in hillside with my bf(thats where she goes) so she getting her wash and rollerset i couldn't really see the stylist(the owner too) face but i sure saw that tacky arse weave she had put together :lachen:...when i say put together i mean together....she had this wavy mess in the front thats had like spiked hair shooting in the front as well so when she turned around to grab the comb i was all up in that hair i started to get closer :look:(yea i'm nosy lol) like i was getting a magazine but i was really looking at her. She had like finger waves in the front then a flat piece went to the back and some hair shooting under the flat piece all connecting under this raggy ponytail(you know that touch her butt ponytail) mind you with blue and red like its the 4th of July.:ohwell: She had the nerve to say "you should make a appt. with me so i can teach you the proper way to grow healthy hair" :perplexed :nono:yea okay lady

by the way my friend's hair was dry as a bone:yep: I'm happy with my apl hair and i wanted keep it that way. If anything my hair must like what i'm doing to be growing like weeds.

Last edited:
Funny thread!

I remember when I first BC'd I ran outside while it was raining to "remoisturize" my hair (I had serious hand and fro at this time so my sexy Fant. IC wash n gos would be picked to death by midday), a hairstylist who ALWAYS had a weave and *snaps fingers* this much hair for the year and a half that I knew her comments;

"Girl you better get out of that rain, you aint white!" She then proceeds to say to another woman "Look, she go natural and think she white now."

Yes, because only white people can go out in the rain, other people's scalps melt off.

The stylist who tried to tell me that Mane N Tail would grow my hair even though she had no hair to speak of. When she saw me looking at her damaged tresses she goes "But I don't need no long hair."

"Girl you should just blowdry with some of that ampro gel and wrap your hair everyday like I do."

...well you need to get some butter for those rolls on the back of your neck:badcop:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: You're having me rolling.... I can almost hear your frustration through your words.

i had coworkers tell me that washing my hair 2x a week and using conditioners are me trying to be white. :rolleyes: when they saw how long my hair's gotten there hasn't been a peep out of them.

Before i take anyone's advice i always look at the condition of their hair.

:lachen:i remember once i went to a salon here in hillside with my bf(thats where she goes) so she getting her wash and rollerset i couldn't really see the stylist(the owner too) face but i sure saw that tacky arse weave she had put together :lachen:...when i say put together i mean together....she had this wavy mess in the front thats had like spiked hair shooting in the front as well so when she turned around to grab the comb i was all up in that hair i started to get closer :look:(yea i'm nosy lol) like i was getting a magazine but i was really looking at her. She had like finger waves in the front then a flat piece went to the back and some hair shooting under the flat piece all connecting under this raggy ponytail(you know that touch her butt ponytail) mind you with blue and red like its the 4th of July.:ohwell: She had the nerve to say "you should make a appt. with me so i can teach you the proper way to grow healthy hair" :perplexed :nono:yea okay lady

by the way my friend's hair was dry as a bone:yep: I'm happy with my apl hair and i wanted keep it that way. If anything my hair must like what i'm doing to be growing like weeds.

oh snap :lachen::lachen:

Funny thread!

ooooooooooooooooooooh :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: Yea it amaizing me how some black women can think plain old water is gonna destroy them...girl and u did not say butter for those rolls. :lachen::lachen::lachen:shame on you! :lachen::lachen:

Chayil

...well you need to get some butter for those rolls on the back of your neck:badcop:[/quote]

My side is hurting from laughter:lachen:...this whole thread is too funny:spinning::spinning:

I always get the "So you wash your hair how many times a week". I try and explain I don't actually wash but do conditioner washes. No one understands CW but my girls here at LHCF.

Too funny... I guess I don't have tales of unwelcomed advised but just over the past week two things happened to me.

First, while on vacation to visit my parents, I asked my mother to give my daughter a hard press b/c she was in a wedding (you better believe I saturated it with a heat protectant). But, while my mom was pressing my 4 year old's hair she was spraying it with a spitz telling me it was a heat protectant! That stuff has alcohol! Oh my...

Second, I got mico braidss in my hair yesterday. Well, it took an additional 1.5 hours longer than normal (I tried a new African shop here in Detroit). When I questioned why, they told me I have long hair?? My hair is thick but it's not long...My hair is only about 8-9 inches!!! They told me they braid hair all the time and my hair is long... oh my goodness!!!:spinning:

Back