The official start of my HHJ w/ texlaxed hair!

mellipoo143

Hey ladies,

A couple of you responded to my thread requesting advice about getting my first relaxer after 2.5 years being natural. Well, as of 08/15/12, I am texlaxed and ready to start my healthy hair journey!!! :grin:

My stylist did everything perfectly. He based my entire scalp, then applied the Affirm Lye Normal Strength to my hair and smoothed with his hands for about 7 minutes. Next, he rinsed me and gave me a protein treatment followed by three neutralizing shampoos. Lastly, he blow dried my hair on low/medium heat, trimmed and flat ironed (w/ heat protectants of course). Love it! I have attached a few pics in case your curious about my results.

The 1st a side shot; it looks like i'm almost SL but, as you can see in the 2nd pic, my hair is layered (~5-6in long all over). I'll consider myself SL when the majority of my hair falls at my shoulders. Unfortunately, I had given myself a pretty bad trim about a month ago; the front left side of my hair was almost an inch shorter than the right side! I didn't notice when I was natural, but once he blow dried my hair out it was so obvious! :blush: He gave me a tiny cut to even it out a bit, but convinced me to let my hair grow out a few more inches before cutting it completely even. I'm a little scissor-happy though, so idk how long I'll be able to keep that promise lol

The 3rd pic is just a back shot. The 4th pic is pretty embarrassing for me; it's a close-up of my edges. They are extremely thin as a result of harsh handling in past styling. Once again, it wasn't as obvious when I was natural as it is now that I'm texlaxed :nono: *sigh*

Anywho, here's the regimen I plan to follow on this HHJ of mine (subject to change):
- Professionally relaxed every 8-12 weeks depending on how fast my hair grows; trim as needed
- Only allowed to straighten my hair once between relaxers, if I so choose
- Alternate weekly between moisture and protein treatments (hopefully my hair still likes Curl Junkie products!)
- Protective style a minimum of 4 days per week
- Scalp massage one night and massage my egdes w/ castor oil the next; repeat
- Moisturize and lightly seal w/ oil daily; put in braids and cover w/ satin scarf nightly

Right now, my goal is just to establish healthy hair care practices that work for me; later on I'll worry about achieving length (although I know that'll happen as a result of a good regimen!)

Anywho, I'm gunna wash and protein treat my hair on this Mon/Tuesday, so I'll come back and post more pics! :yep:

Attachments

• Photo-0419.jpg
    Photo-0419.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 289
  • Photo-0422.jpg
    Photo-0422.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 254
  • Photo-0420.jpg
    Photo-0420.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Photo-0421.jpg
    Photo-0421.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 241
welcome to the texlax family!! Your hair looks great and ur edges actually look good to me. I texlax too after being natural for six yrs. Ive been texlax for seven yrs. I luv it. good luck with ur new journey!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Congrats! Your hair looks so thick!! It will grow out really nicely :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Congratulations! I agree that your hair looks great and I'm so glad you found a good stylist that takes the health of your hair into account. Your regimen sounds very solid, so I know you will progress quickly. :yep: KUTGW!

I'm newly texlaxed too...ur hair looks really silky and smooth..very nice..I havent straightened my hair yet..but I like the loosened texture...I went from 3C to 3B...not much of a diff...kinda wanted more of a diff..but of well...so u and I are on our HHJ together..haha..

I'm certain CJ products will still work well on your hair. I'm Relaxed/Texlaxed Affirm Mild and other than "Relaxer" I basically use all Handmade/Natural products.

Very, very, nice results. Enjoy your Journey

Thanks for all the love ladies! I'm looking forward to sharing my upcoming experiences with you :yep:

welcome to the texlax family!! Your hair looks great and ur edges actually look good to me. I texlax too after being natural for six yrs. Ive been texlax for seven yrs. I luv it. good luck with ur new journey!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Really? Maybe that's a camera trick lol...The hair in that region is thinning out and broken off. I really need this castor oil to work miracles!

I'm newly texlaxed too...ur hair looks really silky and smooth..very nice..I havent straightened my hair yet..but I like the loosened texture...I went from 3C to 3B...not much of a diff...kinda wanted more of a diff..but of well...so u and I are on our HHJ together..haha..

Hey Qtee, I guess we're hair buddies :wave:

Do you have to use heat alot? Cause im thinking about texlaxing but I dont wanna heat train

Well, I haven't had to re-straighten my hair since I got it done last Wednesday, but I am 100% certain that my texlaxed hair will straighten with way less heat than my natural hair AND will stay straight longer because of the looser, less rebellious curl pattern.

In my opinion, there's no such thing as "heat trained." It's more like heat damage, as your hair is being burnt and fried into a straighter state. :ohwell: Once again, I don't think a ton of heat will be necessary for texlaxed hair.

mellipoo143 said:
Well, I haven't had to re-straighten my hair since I got it done last Wednesday, but I am 100% certain that my texlaxed hair will straighten with way less heat than my natural hair AND will stay straight longer because of the looser, less rebellious curl pattern.

In my opinion, there's no such thing as "heat trained." It's more like heat damage, as your hair is being burnt and fried into a straighter state. :ohwell: Once again, I don't think a ton of heat will be necessary for texlaxed hair.

Good I just wanted to be sure before I try it.

I'm newly texlaxed too. Your hair looks really nice. Unlike you, I will have three different textures on my head, if I can stand it, as my hair grows out. I'm five weeks post today on my first Texlax. Previously I relaxed to bone straight. As my hair grows, I'll have my natural 4-something, my 2+ inches of texlaxed hair and the remaining bone straight to almost BSL hair. So far, I don't even notice my NG, but I can really see the difference between the bone straight and the texlaxed hair when it's damp.

Ok I just past 7 weeks on thursday so at 9 weeks ima texlax I still gotta buy a heat-loving dc that doesnt cost alot.

Oooo how pretty! What a cute cut! You will enjoy the versatility. I know I do. Just today I experimented with a wash and go method.

I'm in the market for new products. I'm working out regularly again and my hair will stay wet 99% of the time unless I can find a way to let it dry "out" w/o being constrained.

Post a pic of your wash and go once you decide to do one! Have fun and happy growing!

Your hair looks great....you and the stylist have done a great job:yep: Your regimen sounds good. Just be flexible enough to change it as needed...a schedule may work but it may not so keep in tune with your hair and you'll be fine. Like Idaret'shair other than the relaxer I use natural/organic products in my hair.

Good Job! Thanks for tagging me, your hair looks good and you will love it!! Keep the healthy hair practices and you will see your hard work pay off. Happy for you!

I'm texlaxed as well. I LOVE it!!!

It's the best of both worlds. Plus, I'm not having any trouble with retention.

Great results! And it sounds like your stylist took great care of your hair so you're off to the best start. Your edges look perfectly fine to me, as well.

Hi ladies!

Sorry for the delay; I just started my junior year in college (:grin:) and things are always hectic in the beginning!

Anywho, I'm back with a hair update! The first pic you see is of my hair when it's wet - I loooove it! The texture is a teeny bit looser than what I wanted, but it's beautiful nonetheless AND it takes like two seconds to style/blow dry/etc., which is refreshing considering my natural hair would have me in the mirror forever and a day

The second picture is of the back 2-3in of my hair and, as I'm sure you noticed, it's nearly bone-straight. In the excitement of getting my hair done, I forgot to remind my stylist that I wanted my hair texlaxed until he had already started smoothing out the back! :blush: Because my hair is layered, that section stood out quite a bit from the curlier portion and I could not stand to walk around looking a two-textured mess. So, I blunt cut an inch and a half off off the back!

I didn't take a pic of the new cut (which I also loved), but I can tell you that the very longest part on the bottom only went down to about chin-length. That was two weeks ago; since, my side burn area has grown a little past CL and the back appears to have grown almost an entire inch beyond!! It's only been a month so I thank the hot weather and scalp massages for those great results :yep:

Recently however, I've been neglecting my hair (break-up *rolling my eyes*). I haven't washed, moisturized or detangled in almost a week. I've just been rocking a tired old braid-out, BUT, now that I actually care about how I look again :look:, this weekend I'm going to take time to pamper myself! I shall return with pics of my hair once it's finally tamed!

Attachments

• Photo-0423.jpg
    Photo-0423.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 62
  • Photo-0424.jpg
    Photo-0424.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 55
Ok! I've returned with the pic of my new chin length cut! I promise you it doesn't look that short in person (I'm only 5' so my neck is short :yep:)

My hair goal is to be collarbone length by New Years, so I'm going to start moisturizing and sealing nightly, in addition to regular washes, deep conditioning and scalp massages. However, I also have an overall goal to live a healthier lifestyle in general. For me that means:

Drinking at least 32oz of water per day,
Taking a multivitamin and omega-3 capsule daily,
Eating healthier and more regularly,
Getting at least 8 hours of sleep each night,
Maintaining a positive attitude, and
Light exercise.

If I hold true to this basic regimen (they say it takes 21 days to form a habit :-P), I know strong healthy healthy hair will naturally follow! :yep:

Attachments

• Photo-0425.jpg
    Photo-0425.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 35
Back