The Mini Twist / Mini Braid Thread

I took out my 2 month old mini braids and installed mini twists over the holiday weekend. I made sure I moisturized my hair before taking it down and generously used oil and a bit of moisturizer on the ends during the take down process. I had a few knots but I think I did an okay job.
My hair feels fuller and strong. It felt a bit greasy during the takedown. Installing the twists was a pain in the butt cause I didn't stretch it well enough. I air dried my hair in big braids. I should've blown in out a bit to make it easier to part.

I plan to to keep the mini twists for about 3 months and will re-twist sections every 3 to 4 weeks to avoid locking and make sure I have an easier takedown in September.

Sorry the mugshots :spinning:
20240530_204252_1.jpg20240530_204252_2.jpg20240530_204252_3.jpg20240530_204252_4.jpg

I ended up converting my mini twists into mini braids and I'm loving it. Since the weather is warming up and I'm exercising more, I have been cowashing 4-5 days a week so the moisture is at an all time high. I'm seriously considering rocking these until wig wearing season in October.

I forget how much easier my hair is when I do mini braids vs mini twists. The structure of the braids seem to keep the length of my hair protected more than when I do a twisted length. Also, more importantly, as the new growth is accumulating, they seem to fare better than my mini twists. I actually feel like I can keep these in longer! I stopped doing them bc I needed a faster way to install. I also like that twists make my fine hair look fuller. But as I'm regrowing my hair, I value that the braids seem to be more protective and longer term.

I'm in a mood for encouragement and thought I'd share. Both natural and relaxed, I primarily wore my hair in mini braids. I've saved a few inspo photos along the way as I found them.

This was one of my first minibraid goals! The photo I saved is small but it gives me enough to aspire to:

1717847325173.png

I think I almost met it once, but now I'm working back to it again after cutting my hair. They were twists though:
1717846989823.png 1717847073361.png
And this is my ultimate hair goal - to have WHIP or HL mini braids. I even like the fairy tale/tapered ends:
1717847194484.png

I'm in a mood for encouragement and thought I'd share. Both natural and relaxed, I primarily wore my hair in mini braids. I've saved a few inspo photos along the way as I found them.

This was one of my first minibraid goals! The photo I saved is small but it gives me enough to aspire to:

View attachment 496859

I think I almost met it once, but now I'm working back to it again after cutting my hair. They were twists though:
View attachment 496853 View attachment 496855
And this is my ultimate hair goal - to have WHIP or HL mini braids. I even like the fairy tale/tapered ends:
View attachment 496857

Your hair looks gorgeous in mini braids! I feel like braids could last longer without looking messy as opposed to twists. If that's the case, I think that you could have some amazing retention! Especially if your hair is going to go they'd a growth spurt over the next few months.

Also, thank you for sharing your observations about how you find them vs the twists. I have to re-read and reconsider wearing my hair in braids now often.

I installed a set of braids on Thursday night. They're not mini because I don't think I have the density for that but I prefer the stretch on braids vs twists.

I've threaded my braids, but maybe I'll take down the threads so that I can take some pictures and you can see what I'm working with. I'm not sure if I use too much tension, but I'm always afraid that I'll have trouble taking them out because the get to be so small.

Your hair looks gorgeous in mini braids! I feel like braids could last longer without looking messy as opposed to twists. If that's the case, I think that you could have some amazing retention! Especially if your hair is going to go they'd a growth spurt over the next few months.

Also, thank you for sharing your observations about how you find them vs the twists. I have to re-read and reconsider wearing my hair in braids now often.

I installed a set of braids on Thursday night. They're not mini because I don't think I have the density for that but I prefer the stretch on braids vs twists.

I've threaded my braids, but maybe I'll take down the threads so that I can take some pictures and you can see what I'm working with. I'm not sure if I use too much tension, but I'm always afraid that I'll have trouble taking them out because the get to be so small.

Thank you :kiss: I can't wait to see your braids! :)

I'm thinking of just sticking to mini braids for this year. Any growth progress I end up having at the EOTY won't be a true comparison bc of pregnancy growth. Also, as much as I like cornrows, I don't want to have to redo my hair that often. I could get away with refreshing these braids every month to 6 weeks vs refreshing cornrows every 2 weeks.

Also, I have fine strands and medium density. The lower density is exactly why I started making my braids smaller! I found that smaller braids made my hair appear fuller than the larger braids. They showed more of my length than larger braids. They're more versatile to style than larger braids. And they give a softer, prettier appearance than my larger braids.

Last edited:
Interesting, because I have fine/medium strands and medium density. It must be my technique. After all of these years I still can't do hair.

I've really got to study what I'm actually doing so that I can compare it to how other people do theirs.

Interesting, because I have fine/medium strands and medium density. It must be my technique. After all of these years I still can't do hair.

I've really got to study what I'm actually doing so that I can compare it to how other people do theirs.

Ma'am, your beautiful hair is proof that there's absolutely nothing wrong with your technique!! What you're doing is working for your hair!! Heck, even your "neglect" results in great retention! :lol:

@MzSwift

LHCF_June2023_Braids2.png

So this is what my braids look like. You can kind of see the sections are big, but the braids themselves are thin. I think it's partly that I braid on damp hair and I use quite a bit of tension.

I think that I'm going to convert them to mini twist this week, but mainly because I can't figure out how to do ayurvedic masks on braids without getting the herbs stuck in my braids.

@faithVA

I posted the above picture before responding for a reason:

If I install large twists or braids like the above (i.e. the sections are big), then I will moisturize and seal as I go. Especially so in braids because I find it harder to moisturize my hair properly in braids.

The reason why I moisturize after I've completed my medium and mini twists is because it tends to take a long time for me to install them. Mini twists can take me up to 3 days. It become so tedious to sit and LCO on each tiny tendril. I think it would make the process take so much longer. I think in my last install I had just over 90 twists. I couldn't even imagine trying to apply three products each time. (I don't have that kind of patience.) I'm also heavy-handed, and so I think just end up making a mess of things adding too much each time. Heavy-handedness works better for me if I can work in larger sections. Finally, if I LCO a section of hair before the install, it makes it difficult to add more water and make my hair feel more pliable if my hair is freshly oiled and I've just added the oil step. Since the install takes so long, and because I do my installs after washing my hair, adding product after I'm finished allows me to continue to add water to "clean" hair as I go. For me, it just feels a bit different to work with. Also, when all is done I moisturize everything and I know that one section didn't get more moisture than another.

(I hope that makes some sort of sense.)

ETA: Despite what I just wrote, this set of twists if/when I do install them, will be done on this hair without washing first. I really layered on the product before threading so it'll be interesting to see how this install may be different than my usual routine.

Last edited:
@faithVA

I posted the above picture before responding for a reason:

If I install large twists or braids like the above (i.e. the sections are big), then I will moisturize and seal as I go. Especially so in braids because I find it harder to moisturize my hair properly in braids.

The reason why I moisturize after I've completed my medium and mini twists is because it tends to take a long time for me to install them. Mini twists can take me up to 3 days. It become so tedious to sit and LCO on each tiny tendril. I think it would make the process take so much longer. I think in my last install I had just over 90 twists. I couldn't even imagine trying to apply three products each time. (I don't have that kind of patience.) I'm also heavy-handed, and so I think just end up making a mess of things adding too much each time. Heavy-handedness works better for me if I can work in larger sections. Finally, if I LCO a section of hair before the install, it makes it difficult to add more water and make my hair feel more pliable if my hair is freshly oiled and I've just added the oil step. Since the install takes so long, and because I do my installs after washing my hair, adding product after I'm finished allows me to continue to add water to "clean" hair as I go. For me, it just feels a bit different to work with. Also, when all is done I moisturize everything and I know that one section didn't get more moisture than another.

(I hope that makes some sort of sense.)

ETA: Despite what I just wrote, this set of twists if/when I do install them, will be done on this hair without washing first. I really layered on the product before threading so it'll be interesting to see how this install may be different than my usual routine.

Thank you. It does make sense.

@MzSwift

View attachment 496901

So this is what my braids look like. You can kind of see the sections are big, but the braids themselves are thin. I think it's partly that I braid on damp hair and I use quite a bit of tension.

I think that I'm going to convert them to mini twist this week, but mainly because I can't figure out how to do ayurvedic masks on braids without getting the herbs stuck in my braids.

WOW, look at that stretch!!

You may find that the smaller the braids, the easier it will be for your moisture to penetrate. I wouldn't dare commit anyone else to the install (or the takedown) but I think your 4c hair would be absolutely gorgeous in mini braids!! And you'll see more of your length than you do in twists. If you were closer, I'd install them for you! :)

HOWEVER, your point of herbs being easier to rinse out of twists is partially true IME. Twists only involve two different pieces of hair so there's a less intricate weave in which things can get caught, so that makes total sense. And the fact that most of your processes involve herbs and more natural ingredients, you're probably better off to stick with the twists. I said partially true bc I've found that herbs and things don't get stuck in my mini braids as opposed to small-to-large braids. Mini braids are the closest I get to loose hair, even moreso than larger twists, they rinse clear very well. You know my hair is cottony textured too so I get it. lol

WOW, look at that stretch!!

You may find that the smaller the braids, the easier it will be for your moisture to penetrate. I wouldn't dare commit anyone else to the install (or the takedown) but I think your 4c hair would be absolutely gorgeous in mini braids!! And you'll see more of your length than you do in twists. If you were closer, I'd install them for you! :)

HOWEVER, your point of herbs being easier to rinse out of twists is partially true IME. Twists only involve two different pieces of hair so there's a less intricate weave in which things can get caught, so that makes total sense. And the fact that most of your processes involve herbs and more natural ingredients, you're probably better off to stick with the twists. I said partially true bc I've found that herbs and things don't get stuck in my mini braids as opposed to small-to-large braids. Mini braids are the closest I get to loose hair, even moreso than larger twists, they rinse clear very well. You know my hair is cottony textured too so I get it. lol

I'm typing this response as I drive myself to the airport. See you at lunchtime! :lachen:

The stretch would be soooo great... ugh... don't tempt me to try mini braids instead of mini twists.... I've never done them before so I'd be itching to see what they would/could look like.

If I remember correctly, you use more teas on your hair than masks, right? If so, can you walk me through the process? Straining, how long do you leave them in for, etc.

I'm typing this response as I drive myself to the airport. See you at lunchtime! :lachen:

The stretch would be soooo great... ugh... don't tempt me to try mini braids instead of mini twists.... I've never done them before so I'd be itching to see what they would/could look like.

If I remember correctly, you use more teas on your hair than masks, right? If so, can you walk me through the process? Straining, how long do you leave them in for, etc.

:lol: I just realized that we might be closer than I originally thought. For some reason, I had you in France but I think you're in CA. Depending on which province or territory, you may just be a short drive away! lol

Nope, don't you go changing anything up in your regi!! :nono2: Your hair is thriving!

I've actually done masks on my natural mini braids in the past. I didn't find them difficult at all to rinse out as long as I didn't let the ingredients dry in my hair. I tend to stick to powders though for masks and only use herbs for infusions and teas. Besides, I think you and I have established that we are usually walking around with something in our hair at all times anyway. :giggle: Sis, I don't strain a darn thing! I primarily use glosses and I use them as leave ins. The only one that doesn't stay on my hair is the cleanser. I'm always walking around with some Ayurvedic powder on my hair. lol

I make my teas "cold" by putting the herbs in an empty glass jar and then filling it with boiling water. And then put the top back on. I shake it up a few times as it's cooling. Once it's cool, I put it in the fridge for about a week before using. I strain as I pour using two metal mesh strainers over the funnel or a nylon/stocking attached to the the top of the jar. My tea goes into my daily spray bottle mix of tea and oils which I use as the "L" in my LOC or LCO steps.

Same with the oil, it's made "cold" by putting the herbs into a jar and then filling w oil. Then I shake it up and put it under the sink for at least a week. I shake it up throughout the week and then strain the same way as I pour it into my applicator bottles. I've found that they've been very effective for me and I don't find that I need to double boil or do any extra steps to infuse. Probably bc I leave it in my hair. lol

:lol: I just realized that we might be closer than I originally thought. For some reason, I had you in France but I think you're in CA. Depending on which province or territory, you may just be a short drive away! lol

Nope, don't you go changing anything up in your regi!! :nono2: Your hair is thriving!

I've actually done masks on my natural mini braids in the past. I didn't find them difficult at all to rinse out as long as I didn't let the ingredients dry in my hair. I tend to stick to powders though for masks and only use herbs for infusions and teas. Besides, I think you and I have established that we are usually walking around with something in our hair at all times anyway. :giggle: Sis, I don't strain a darn thing! I primarily use glosses and I use them as leave ins. The only one that doesn't stay on my hair is the cleanser. I'm always walking around with some Ayurvedic powder on my hair. lol

I make my teas "cold" by putting the herbs in an empty glass jar and then filling it with boiling water. And then put the top back on. I shake it up a few times as it's cooling. Once it's cool, I put it in the fridge for about a week before using. I strain as I pour using two metal mesh strainers over the funnel or a nylon/stocking attached to the the top of the jar. My tea goes into my daily spray bottle mix of tea and oils which I use as the "L" in my LOC or LCO steps.

Same with the oil, it's made "cold" by putting the herbs into a jar and then filling w oil. Then I shake it up and put it under the sink for at least a week. I shake it up throughout the week and then strain the same way as I pour it into my applicator bottles. I've found that they've been very effective for me and I don't find that I need to double boil or do any extra steps to infuse. Probably bc I leave it in my hair. lol

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.

You're right, more often than not, something is probably stuck in my hair... some of those powders are just so gritty and straining masks doesn't seem to work well.

Also, every time I read your posts I want to stop and do my hair. I'm in Ontario. @Chicoro is in France.

@MzSwift :lachen: :lachen::abducted:
This why I lurve you.

I feel like my hair hasn't grown and I've actually had a set back, although I did get a trim and did/got 2 silk presses. I did a silk press (that really was a blowout lol) and got a silk press done at the Egyptians. I'm in repair/rest mode now. My hair looks so sparse to me now. They look like true micros because my hair is so thin I can't braid down to the ends:perplexed: Plus side is that it takes less time to do my hair lol

Attachments

• 20240610_104450.jpg
    20240610_104450.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 13
@ItsMeLilLucky

((BIG HUG))

It doesn't look like you're in bad shape to me. You've got SL hair - enough to ponytail and bun! It's wet bunning season too. You know how many ladies we've seen grow and retain with bunning, esp wet bunning, since this board's inception!
And you know your hair IS growing! You're using your green tea keratin for protein. And, you're using low-manipulation mini braids. Your hair is gonna survive and recover! :)

So please explain to me like I'm 5: what is wet bunning and why is it the season?

I've been avoiding on set hair because I figure the make won't dry pro out maybe the elasticwill cause too much tension because the hair is weak from being wet. But I feel like I'm missing some valuable dots to connect.

So please explain to me like I'm 5: what is wet bunning and why is it the season?

I've been avoiding on set hair because I figure the make won't dry pro out maybe the elasticwill cause too much tension because the hair is weak from being wet. But I feel like I'm missing some valuable dots to connect.

LOL!!

When I found this board in 2009, wet bunning was one of the PSs of choice during the warmer months when it was safe to go out with a wet/damp hair without the risk of getting sick. So everyone looked forward to the summer months when they could do it. Ladies experienced faster growth and we saw Black women reaching long lengths using this method. What we learned then is that the increased moisture resulted in faster hair growth for a lot of ladies.

Of course the problem is retention. Through trial and error, it was quickly concluded that there's a way to do it that's better than others.

Wet bunning isn't really bunning sopping wet hair, it's bunning damp hair instead of just bunning dry hair. Most ladies cowashed in the shower using cheapie condishes and then Tshirt/towel dry as they lotion, makeup and dress. Then the hair is unbound. Most ladies sprayed on scurl/hawaiian silky or some other glycerin product (and condish for some) and sealed it in with an oil and then bunned the hair. The bun is removed when they return home for the evening and allowed to dry, usually under a satin scarf or bonnet, and the process is repeated the following morning.

It's my understanding that Hygral fatigue occurs when enough protein isn't provided to the strands to help strengthen the cuticles. To balance things out, some ladies cowashed with a protein/strenghening cheapie condish daily and some alternated in a protein wash every other day or every few days.

Moving the location of the bun helped to prevent breakage as well.

For ladies like me, wet bunning was not an option on my natural hair unless it was in a bound style (mini braids). So I was recommending it to my hair cousin bc she's in mini braids and I've seen it be sooo effective!! :) I personally believe that extra moisture is key to speeding up growth and for increased retention. Boosting moisture has proven beneficial to a lot of ladies and "wet bunning" is an excellent and efficient way to boost moisture in the hair.

LOL!!

When I found this board in 2009, wet bunning was one of the PSs of choice during the warmer months when it was safe to go out with a wet/damp hair without the risk of getting sick. So everyone looked forward to the summer months when they could do it. Ladies experienced faster growth and we saw Black women reaching long lengths using this method. What we learned then is that the increased moisture resulted in faster hair growth for a lot of ladies.

Of course the problem is retention. Through trial and error, it was quickly concluded that there's a way to do it that's better than others.

Wet bunning isn't really bunning sopping wet hair, it's bunning damp hair instead of just bunning dry hair. Most ladies cowashed in the shower using cheapie condishes and then Tshirt/towel dry as they lotion, makeup and dress. Then the hair is unbound. Most ladies sprayed on scurl/hawaiian silky or some other glycerin product (and condish for some) and sealed it in with an oil and then bunned the hair. The bun is removed when they return home for the evening and allowed to dry, usually under a satin scarf or bonnet, and the process is repeated the following morning.

It's my understanding that Hygral fatigue occurs when enough protein isn't provided to the strands to help strengthen the cuticles. To balance things out, some ladies cowashed with a protein/strenghening cheapie condish daily and some alternated in a protein wash every other day or every few days.

Moving the location of the bun helped to prevent breakage as well.

For ladies like me, wet bunning was not an option on my natural hair unless it was in a bound style (mini braids). So I was recommending it to my hair cousin bc she's in mini braids and I've seen it be sooo effective!! :) I personally believe that extra moisture is key to speeding up growth and for increased retention. Boosting moisture has proven beneficial to a lot of ladies and "wet bunning" is an excellent and efficient way to boost moisture in the hair.

Thank you for this explanation! This seems easy enough to do. The weather just got chilly here, but I want to give it a go. I'm already getting excited by the potential growth this summer:

HAIR MATH:

Drink water + eat protein + exercise + protective style + wet bun =

Back