The Leap From Perm To Natural

inthestars

I'm making the leap from permed relaxed hair to natural hair at the moment and I'm wondering how long will it take the permed hair to grow out. So far, I haven't had a relaxer since late August and there's a half inch of new growth. But it feels like it is taking forever. I just put in a weave and maybe that will move things along faster..

I had one month of growth when I hacked off my relaxed hair. My hair is 4a and thick; it was actually more growth than I thought, and a jolly little afro.

I don't know anything about hairweaves, but I'm right there in the trenches with you. Read my post in the 'Re-Introduction' thread for my life story. /images/graemlins/wink.gif
I keep telling myself that healthy hair grows 1/2" to 1" a month--in 9 months I'll be able to work with my own natural hair; in two years all this drama will be like a distant memory! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
My last relaxer was in June/July and I'm getting impatient. I'm even doing the smelly 'Glover's Marinade' once a week in hopes of speeding up the process. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I want to wait until I have enough hair to style before I get the relaxed hair cut off. But everytime I look at my wild looking head I get closer and closer to chopping it off. But I look terrible with really short hair. I got the Halle Berry cut in 1991 when I saw her in Strictly Business. I looked so goofy!
My hair is broken in the crown area, so my style options are limited. For now, I'm transitioning with braids and a fake afro puff. I might break down and get a wig, too! If I can stand to wait that long, I'm going to get my hair cut in July 2003. I plan to straw set it or just slap some gel in it and sport a kinky/curly, poufy hairdo. I'll do this until I have enough hair for braid-outs and twist-outs.
Hang in there! For inspiration, check out these sites:
http://haircare.aldrea.com/photos.htm
http://motowngrl.8m.net/hair.html

Everybody is right. Hair usually grows 1/2-1" a month. Some peoples hair grow faster, some slower. I stopped relaxing my hair Dec 17, 2001. I got (as my friend called it) a fade cut with a little bit of curls on the top April 16, 2002. So I transitioned for 4 months. I had 2-3 inches of hair at the top and about 0" in the back (if that's possible). Growing out is a waiting game when you chop it off short. I hated my hair for the first 4 months after the cut as I was growing it out. But now since it's between 4-9 inches, It's not that bad. I still have shrinkage (more in the back which is curly than in the top which is tight wavy). But I like my hair as it's getting longer. I can almost do a ponytail (dry).

Hi, I'm new to the board. Due to a bad incident w/ my stylist, I was "forced" to remove my W/n myself and am transitioning myself back to natural hair. Only thing stoppng me is I can't braid a lick. Does anyone have any tips to help me transition w/o braids or a weave? there aren't many black salons where i live and the one i know of messed up my hair.

I transitioned with out braids or a weave.

I styled my hair into bantu knots and wore a curly fro, very much like I stil wear my hair today. My hair looked like it was already natural.

The password to the In Transition album is: In Transition (type it exactly as you see it here).

My transition went really well, without any frustration at all. I did the BC totally on a whim, but not because I was frustrated. I had planned to transition longer, but cutting it just felt right.

Natrlchallenge said:
Hi, I'm new to the board. Due to a bad incident w/ my stylist, I was "forced" to remove my W/n myself and am transitioning myself back to natural hair. Only thing stoppng me is I can't braid a lick. Does anyone have any tips to help me transition w/o braids or a weave? there aren't many black salons where i live and the one i know of messed up my hair.
the infamous bun! :grin:

Back