The Indian Grocer Asked for MY Advice!

Eisani

After some serious homework and super-sleuthing :sekret:, I found what appeared in name to be an Indian Grocery store on Michigan State's campus (Go Spartans-NOT!!). Imagine my excitement when I pulled up and the sign said Swagath Genuine Indian Grocery Store :lick: and only about 3 miles from my house. Anyhoo, I bought Aritha and Shikakai poo bars for $1.00 each, Neem and Chandrika soap (49% coconut oil and contains 7 EO's: orange, patchouli, palmarosa, cinnamon leaf, wild ginger, sandalwood, and limepeel) for my face/body, Shikakai Herbal Hair oil, Dabur Jasmine oil and Quick Absorbing Light Hair Oil. As I was checking out, the guy told me I had really nice hair and asked if I used the products on my hair. After I told him yes he asked how I knew about them. Without going into a bunch of detail, I just let him know I'd done my research and then we talked about how good the products/ingredients were and I told him I make a lot of my own conditioners and stuff. He then asked me if I had any suggestions for his bald spot :grin:. I gave him a few tips and told him I'd let him know more when I came back for more goodies. I think he was just as excited as me! I have a new friend y'all and I couldn't be happier :yep:. It sure made up for this lady @ work telling me she didn't think black women could grow their hair that long and then said, "Oh, that's right, you're of mixed heritage." Beat it :ohwell:. I don't even consider my hair long, but I digress...That Indian Grocer just became my new boyfriend and he doesn't even know it yet :lachen:

well good! maybe he'll begin to give you a little discount here & there, in exchange for your hair advice! :look:

After some serious homework and super-sleuthing :sekret:, I found what appeared in name to be an Indian Grocery store on Michigan State's campus (Go Spartans-NOT!!). Imagine my excitement when I pulled up and the sign said Swagath Genuine Indian Grocery Store :lick: and only about 3 miles from my house. Anyhoo, I bought Aritha and Shikakai poo bars for $1.00 each, Neem and Chandrika soap (49% coconut oil and contains 7 EO's: orange, patchouli, palmarosa, cinnamon leaf, wild ginger, sandalwood, and limepeel) for my face/body, Shikakai Herbal Hair oil, Dabur Jasmine oil and Quick Absorbing Light Hair Oil. As I was checking out, the guy told me I had really nice hair and asked if I used the products on my hair. After I told him yes he asked how I knew about them. Without going into a bunch of detail, I just let him know I'd done my research and then we talked about how good the products/ingredients were and I told him I make a lot of my own conditioners and stuff. He then asked me if I had any suggestions for his bald spot :grin:. I gave him a few tips and told him I'd let him know more when I came back for more goodies. I think he was just as excited as me! I have a new friend y'all and I couldn't be happier :yep:. It sure made up for this lady @ work telling me she didn't think black women could grow their hair that long and then said, "Oh, that's right, you're of mixed heritage." Beat it :ohwell:. I don't even consider my hair long, but I digress...That Indian Grocer just became my new boyfriend and he doesn't even know it yet :lachen:

I hope you hit her in the face with your hair as you turned and walked out the building lol! Congrats on ur new boy toy :grin::lachen:

Well thanks for sharing a good experience in an Indian store, this was refreshing. But please don't tell your guy how popular these products are. Last thing we want is a price hike for the sistas, lol! I love that Chandrika soap, too. And I agree, your hair is beautiful.

Aren't all PEOPLE of mixed heritage? If not, um that would mean like incest for hundreds of years. I would have asked her: Do you mean to tell me that your family is only of one single background, since the creation of man?

Cause um, that's crazy!

You go ahead girl, I'm glad things worked out and you have beautiful hair. :yep:

Well thanks for sharing a good experience in an Indian store, this was refreshing. But please don't tell your guy how popular these products are. Last thing we want is a price hike for the sistas, lol! I love that Chandrika soap, too. And I agree, your hair is beautiful.

I remember going to the Indian Grocers here in Houston buying the Shikakai powder , well the second time i went the price jumped from 1.99 to 12.99!!!!!

Your hair is beautiful. Maybe I'll start doing some research on Indian products! I want hair like yours!!! And an Indian boyfriend to boot!! :blush: Although my DH won't like the last part! :nono:

Great story! I enjoy hearing stories like that... I'm a little envious though, I wish I had a indian store near me:lick:.
The shipping and handling fees:wallbash:!!!!

Hey Eisani,

Your hair looks great.:grin: I have got to start doing some research on these indian products.

OT: Are they good for skin too?:look:

Good for you. It is always great to have a positive experience when surrounded by ignorance like your colleague's.

I remember going to the Indian Grocers here in Houston buying the Shikakai powder , well the second time i went the price jumped from 1.99 to 12.99!!!!!

:nono:Please tell me which store you went to, so I can avoid that one like the plague.

:lachen:This is exactly what I was thinking! That's great! And don't let that woman steal your joy, some people are just ignorant.

I'm working my feminine wiles for a discount :lachen:I didn't tell him anything at all about the popularity of these products. I just told him I've done research but I also have an Indian friend (which I do :grin:) and we exchange hair tips/products/advice and left it at that. As far as the comment from my co-worker goes, I just laughed and told her don't believe the hype. She then told me that one of our black co-workers is who told her that in the 1st place :nono:. Ah well, I just flipped my hair over my shoulder and walked away.

Your hair is beautiful. Maybe I'll start doing some research on Indian products! I want hair like yours!!! And an Indian boyfriend to boot!! :blush: Although my DH won't like the last part! :nono:

:lachen::lachen:Don't get in to trouble! BTW, thank you for the compliment.

^^^^^This is an awesome story....

^^^^^And this is CRAZY. Im glad I live in a small town and the Indian store is up the street. Someone must have accidently hit the 2 button.

Is that the store on Harrison Road by Shop-Rite?

Give her some Shikakai powder and tell her it works great as an eye makeup remover:yep:.

Back