The Half and Half Hair Product Challenge

ellebelle88

The Half and Half Hair Product Log Challenge

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing this challenge. All you do is part your hair going straight down the center and use one product on the left side and a different product on the right side. Then you report here about which one worked best. I've found that its much easier to tell how effective a product works if you have something to compare it to immediately compare it to.

***ETA: I actually wash my hair in 4 sections, but the two sections on the left I put the same product on and the two sections on the right I use a different product on.

This is a great way to use up products and a great way to experiment. This is also a good way to see which products work best in comparison to each another. And finally, this is also a good way to review products as well as a way to keep an informal hair log/journal.

So here are the rules, each time you report back you must list:

Are you natural/relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning:
Name the two products tested:
How did you use the two products (i.e. as s deep condition, prepoo, protein treatment, leave-in, moisturizer):
Which product won out? Why:

Get creative and experiment ladies. For instance, you can use the same product but add an oil for the other side or use two totally different brands.

Anyone can join. All you do is report back and list what product worked best for you following the format above.

If there is a thread or challenge already going on that is similar to this, let me know! See you all next wash!

Last edited:
I'll go first.

Natural/relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning: Been transitioning for 2 1/2 years, but mostly natural.
Two products tested: ORS Replenishing and Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
How did you use the two products (i.e. as s deep condition, prepoo, protein treatment, leave-in, moisturizer): prepoo
Which product won out? Why: ORS Replenishing Conditioner won hands down. I needed to get rid of the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment masque, so I decided to try it out as a prepoo. I think it conditioned my hair (because my curls were also popping on that side!) but not as effectively as the ORS did. The ORS gave me plenty of slip, left my hair feeling very moisturized, and detangled it. It also made my hair soft while the Shea Moisture left my hair moisturized but it wasn't as detangled and didn't have nearly as much slip.

Like your idea OP. I have done this many of time. This is usually how I compare products. It's just bad timing. I probably won't be experimenting with new products until the beginning of the year.

Great idea. I'm a product lover but too frugal to have a lot of things laying around. If and when I do have two products I use for the sane thing I will be trying this

I used to do this when I was trying to find my staples. No need to do this now that I know them.

I only bought 1 new line this BF so when I do get around to trying the products I'll post the results.

I used Avocado oil on the right side and Apricot oil on the left side on freshly washed hair. The Apricot oil is heavier. I could see it lay on top of my hair and turn white. However, after my hair dried I couldn't really tell the difference. I am going to try them both on dry hair to see if I like one better than the other.

Wanted to revisit this thread as I used half Jane carter Wrap and Roll and Half Nubian Heritage Honey & Black Seed Heat Protect Keratin Wrap Mousse on my roller set last night. Clear and real difference. The jane Carter left a residue and made my hair heavier than the Nubian Heritage. I much preferred the nubian heritage/ I have used Jane Carter many times without issue, but I think it didn't work well with my use of cassia. Since I will be sticking with cassia, Jane has to go

This isn't exactly what I wanted to do over the weekend but it was close. I wanted to put avocado oil on both sides then, put Komaza Care Aloe Leave-in on the right side and Nubian Heritage Keratin creamy Leave-in on the left side. But I had so much of the Komaza Care left that I put it on both sides then put the Nubian Heritage on top of that on the left side.

It was a good experiment because I was able to try a variation of the LOC method. It was more of a LOLC method. The side with the Komaza Care leave-in and the Nubian Heritage leave-in feels softer even two days later.

I think most of my experiments will be versions of the LOC method. I think I need a heavier cream. I may not need a leave-in at all. Still investigating though.

I used Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk Conditioner on the right side. I used AO Blue Chamomile on the left side. I sat under my heat cap for 30 minutes. They felt about the same when I washed them out. However, the AO Blue Chamomile instantly began to smooth and soften my hair when I applied it even without heat. The Silk Dreams didn't do that. I can detangle with the AO Blue Chamomile. But I wouldn't be able to detangle with the Silk Dreams. It also needs heat to work for me.

I did this yesterday because I had a lot of time on my hands, it was wash day, and I was bored and wanted to try my new Joico products.

I clarified my whole head with Ion clarifying shampoo. Parted my hair in 3 sections, shampooed the left with keracare hydrating detangling, the right with mizani botanifying, and the back with joico moisture recovery. The winner for me was Joico, then Mizani, with Keracare being last(I don't care for shampoos that leave my hair coated). Next, I put the matching conditioners on, Humecto, Fulfyl, Joico moisture recovery balm. The best conditioner was Joico mrb HANDS DOWN! Although I will have to give it a real test when I'm at least six weeks post. I styled it by blowdrying and flatironing with Kenra shine serum, wrapped and went to bed.

This morning when I unwrapped my hair, there was a MAJOR difference between the section of my hair that had been treated with the Joico products versus the Mizani and Keracare. It was more moisturized, smooth, shiny, and stronger. It made me realize that Humecto is truly overrated:ohwell:. Anyways, that's my observation between these particular products.

I didn't do different products but I did different orders.

Yesterday I put apricot kernel oil, followed by Oyin Handmade Hair Dew on one side. I reversed the order on the other side. I wanted to see if in the LOC method, whether it mattered if I did LOC or LCO. It doesn't seem to matter. LOC is easier to apply. It's easier for me to apply the oil first because it smooths my cuticle making the cream easier to apply. That's about it. I will pay attention over the next few days to see if one retains moisture better than the other.

This is a cool challenge. The right and left sides of my hair behave differently anyway. Hmm I might try top and bottom.

Doing product comparison tonight. Washed, DCd and put apricot oil all over. Put my hair in 6 sections. Used a different product on each section. 1. Bee Mine Moisturizer, 2. Deva Curl Set It Free 3. Komaza Care Coconut Curling Lotion 4. Komaza Care Califia Leave-In
5. Oyin Hair Dew 6. Silk Dreams

Put in 2 strand twists. Will wear a twist out tomorrow.

Will see how it feels tomorrow.

Had to do this when I ran out of SSI Banana Brulee half way through application. The other half of my hard got AO HSR straight out of the bottle.

Left the mixture on for an hour with no heat and 30 mins with heat and the AO HSR took home the gold. I had already decided not to re-purchase the SSI Banana DC because while it was nice it was nothing that warranted waiting on the mail man for but this confirmed it. I will continue to respect the HSR as staple DC

^^Yeah My AO is my staple. I have tried 4 or 5 different DCs this year and they don't compare. They cost more and they have to be shipped. Will still try stuff but will be sticking to my AO :yep:

^^Yeah My AO is my staple. I have tried 4 or 5 different DCs this year and they don't compare. They cost more and they have to be shipped. Will still try stuff but will be sticking to my AO :yep:

Seriously. If it ain't broke --don't fix it.

I think I have some SD vanilla slik to get through and then I am done experimenting. And don't let Whole Foods put them on sale. It would be doneeeee

Seriously. If it ain't broke --don't fix it.

I think I have some SD vanilla slik to get through and then I am done experimenting. And don't let Whole Foods put them on sale. It would be doneeeee

If they do please let me know. I would love to stock up.

Didn't take my hair down over the weekend as planned. Took them out and wearing a twist out. For the most part I can't tell the difference between any of the products. They may very slightly in the hold, but my hair is so short, you can't tell the difference.

If I had to pick a winner I would say it is the Komaza Care Coconut Curling Lotion. The front section of my hair seems to be the softest.

It's good to know that I can use any of them. Next time around I will just do 1/2 of my head with a product for a better comparison. I may do this until all my samples are used up.

I did a half/half last night. I used As I Am Leave-In. I used Qhemet Amla Heavy Cream on the right and Qhemet Burdock root on the left. I like the way the Burdock root felt when wet. But when dry I can't really tell much of a difference. I think the Amla may be slightly softer.

I guess that's good. I have two good products to use up.

Back