The Hair Emergency Thread! Be a HERO!

BillyJay

There are tons of different ways to address a hair problem! Answer this questionnaire and you can be a Hair Hero! List your methods, products and helpful hints and anything else that works for YOUR hair!

1. HairType? 4a & a little 3c
  2. Current Length? APL
  3. Natural, Relaxed, Text, Transitioning? Relaxed
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Clarify with bakingsoda & water. Apply a Moisturizing Deep Conditioner and sit under a dryer. Use a protein Leave in treatment.
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? You would need to check your porosity. Your cuticle shaft may be open if you're relaxed. I would suggest using Roux porosity control shampoo and conditioner. Also A good protein re-constructor is on order followed by a deep conditioning treatment.
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? Start of with a protein re-constructor, and deep condition using a conditioner mixed with oil and honey. I would rotate protein and moisture regularly until that portion has grown out. Clipping little by little until the section of over processed hair has grown out.
  7. Under-processed hair? During my next scheduled relaxer, I would comb the relaxer through the under-processed parts and leave it on for about 5 minutes to even it up with the rest.
  8. Solution for splits? Trimming is my best solution. To keep them from starting, be very gentle with your hair, baggy, moisturize and oil them to keep them lubricated.

Works for me :look:

1. HairType? 4a & patch of 3c
  2. Current Length? APL
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Deep condition w/ a moisturizing conditioner, under a hooded dryer for 30mins. Start protective styling or reduce manipulation [heat, combing, brushing, tight ponytails, etc.]
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? A good protein re-constructor followed by a deep conditioning treatment.
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? see #6
  7. Under-processed hair? :ohwell:
  8. Solution for splits? Trim....always seal with castor oil :yep:

1. HairType? 3a,3b,3c
  2. Current Length? layered BSL
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Clarify/chelate, light protein followed by moisture dcs. Try to leave it alone after that.
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? I don't know, but I like your suggestion about addressing porosity. I guess I would try porosity control products and go from there.
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? Honestly, I would consult a professional, but I'm sure the solution involves a lot of babying and deep conditioning
  7. Under-processed hair? I would be extra careful, use collagen deep conditioners and my most detangling products to minimize breakage at demarcation , keep hair well moisturized, and depending on the extent, I might seek a corrective. Otherwise I would be careful with it and grow it out.
  8. Solution for splits? Get rid of them ASAP!!! PERIOD!!! I check for splits religiously and every touchup my hair is checked for any and if they are there, they will be cut out. Get rid of them and stop the practices that cause/encourage splitting. For me, seamless combs, babying/protecting my ends, no direct heat and keeping my whole head well conditioned and moisturized seriously minimizes splits.

Last edited:
[*]HairType? 3/c/4a/4b relaxed, fine, medium density

[*]Current Length? Just past shoulders.....finally:drunk:

[*]Natural, Relaxed, Text, Transitioning? Relaxed

[*]Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Clarify, check your porosity and your moisture protein balance. Deep condition for atleast 20 minutes with whatever you ended up needing according to the test. A good balance of both is the ORS replenshing conditioner.

[*]Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? Check your porosity again, do a protein treatment. Also check for product buildup

[*]What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? Do a protein treatment with something in the medium strength range like Motions CPR, Aphogee 2 minute, Joico kpak conditioner and follow it with a deep moisture treatment. Repeat 2x a week for atleast a month

[*]Under-processed hair? Keep it moisturized. Deep condition with your best moisture treatments. Wait atleast 6 weeks before trying to correct it. If you keep underprocessing yourself, rethink self-relaxing.

[*]Solution for splits? Cut them suckers off.....make sure you are protecting your hair when you use heat, use a light oil or moisturizer to protect your ends.

1. HairType? 4a & a little 3c
  2. Current Length? APL
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Use a light protein and deep moisturizing conditioner (alter ego's Energizing conditioner will make ANY hair soft.. lo te juro! ) Air dry your hair in rollers
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? A strong protein like aphogee or henna weekly and dry ur hair in rollers. :yep:
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? A strong protein like aphogee followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner or henna weekly. Air dry hair in rollers.
  7. Under-processed hair? Use a medium to strong protein and a deep conditioner. Rollerset.
  8. Solution for splits? rollersetting and protein.

Of course it depends on the situation... the intensitity of the problem and what caused it.

1. HairType? Rudy Huxtable...4B 4a-ish
  2. Current Length? APL
  3. Natural, Relaxed, Text, Transitioning? Transitioning but slowly failing
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Deep Conditioner and sit under a dryer. Avoid animal & food protein and try silk protein and Silicon Mix.
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? I've never had this problem
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? Clip the bad parts out and grow it out using braids or cornrows and Deep condition it weekly
  7. Under-processed hair? This has to be discussed on a case-by-case method. Everyone cannot do the same thing to fix this.
  8. Solution for splits? Trimming is my best solution. More Moisture also helps to prevent this.

1. HairType? mostly 3c, and a small amount of 3b
  2. Current Length? bsl stretched/ collarbone length unstretched
  3. Natural, Relaxed, Text, Transitioning? natural
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? co-wash daily. little to no heat.
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? nexxus emergencee or a joico recontructor is perfect.
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? a protein treatment twice a week till problem area went away saved my hair.
  7. Under-processed hair? i dont "process" my hair.
  8. Solution for splits? trim when needed. cowashing to prevent them in the first place :)
[/QUOTE]

1. HairType? 4a
  2. Current Length? grazing APL
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Clarify with Redken Hair Cleansing Shampoo, condition for 5 minutes with Aphogee 2 min Keratin Reconstructor. Deep condition with Keracare Humecto, cover with shower cap then a towel for 1-2 hours. Use a good leave-in and serum
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? I'd first try Aphogee 2 min Keratin Reconstructor for 30 mins or so as it is a mild protein. If that does not work, I will try a heavier protein like Keracare reconstructor then follow up with a deep moisturizing conditioner.
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? Heavy protein like Aphogee hard treatment and regular deep moisturizing treatments. I would give a good trim to prevent ends breaking off, unless ends can be saved.
  7. Under-processed hair? This actually happened to me with my last relaxer. To correct, I relaxed earlier than my scheduled relaxer, spread the relaxer further down to cover the under-processed hair and have been keeping up regular moisture and mild protein treatments since.
  8. Solution for splits? Cut them off. To prevent, limit heat, always use heat protector when you do use heat and moisturize regularly.

Last edited:
Great idea BJ!
  1. HairType? Coily, cottony, and coarse 4a/b mix
  2. Current Length? I have stopped measuring my hair (I was getting obsessed), I cut it to about an inch above BSL in June
  3. Natural, Relaxed, Text, Transitioning? unrelaxed (ends are colored)
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Clarify (if needed) DC w/ elasta QP DPR-11 or Hairveda Moist 24/7 mixed w/ vatika oil for 15-20 minutes w/heat at least 1x per week. Reduce use of heat. Baggy during the week. If it is still breaking I will try a protein condish-see#5
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair?if I have heavy build up I shampoo w/suave clarifying, use Motion CPR w/heat or Aphogee 2 min recovery, follow up w/one of the moisturizing conditioners mentioned in #4
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? I haven't found a good solution for this yet,:blush: usually I just DC and stay away from heat.
  7. Under-processed hair? n/a
  8. Solution for splits? Keep hair properly moisturized, baggy 2-3 times during the week, keep ends well oiled, detangle hair gently, dust ends regularly

Last edited:
MizaniLocs said:
  1. HairType? 4a/b
  2. Current Length? BSL
  3. Natural, Relaxed, Text, Transitioning? Texlaxed
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Deep conditioning. Also using GOOD daily moisturizer.
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? A protein treatment. IMHO, no relaxed head should go without them.
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? Deep conditioning atleast once a week. Also utilizing a regimen that incorportates regular protein treatments. Lay off the heat too.
  7. Under-processed hair? On purpose. I'm texlaxed. :yep:
  8. Solution for splits? Finding out what causes them. Trimming them would be of not good if you keep damaging them over and over again.

My answers are in purple.

1. HairType? umm... 3c, 4a - I think
  2. Current Length? b/t bsl and mid back:lick:
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Deep Conditioning with moisture
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? Yogurt - or Amla Shikaikai rinse
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? ummmm - I dunno:perplexed - I don't relax....
  7. Under-processed hair? N/A to me
Solution for splits? optimal conditioning..keeping them oiled..... and use sunflower butter on the ends - rubbing and letting it soak in....

1. HairType? 4b with a little 4c in the center-back
  2. Current Length? Full MBL
  3. Natural, Relaxed, Text, Transitioning? Texlaxed
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Moisture...DC with a moisturizing deep conditioner; I use Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner. Also, daily moisture will help, whether it be with plain water sealed w/oil (which is what I use) or something that's store-bought.
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? A protein treatment, followed by a DC with a moisturizing deep conditioner.
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? Weekly protein treatments (I would use Motions CPR Protein Treatment.) As always, protein treatments should be followed up by a DC with a moisturizing conditioner. As healthier grows in, I would back off the protein and do gradual trims.
  7. Under-processed hair? I actually underprocess my hair, intentionally (texlax). However, if I wanted to correct underprocessed hair, I would apply relaxer cream to the underprocessed section(s) for 3-5 minutes, smooth once, rinse, then finish up the process, as usual.
  8. Solution for splits? Trim them off. To prevent them, practice using no/low direct heat, gentle handling, low manipulation and regular moisturizing of the ends.

1. HairType? 4a/b
2. Current Length? Shoulder length
3. Natural, Relaxed, Text, Transitioning? Transitioning
4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Correct moisture/protein balance. ANd if all else fails IT COULD BE THE WATER - so try a cheatling shampoo and use distilled water to wash/rinse hair if you can't get a shower filter or water softener. I use Redken Cream Cleanser shampoo.
5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? A protein treatment.
6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? Deep conditioning atleast once a week for a good hour. Protein weekly, no heat.
7. Under-processed hair? moisture/protein then correct if hair is strong enough.
8. Solution for splits? Trim but then find out the cause and correct it.

1. HairType? 3c/4a
  2. Current Length? MB-mf'n-L!
  3. Natural, Relaxed, Text, Transitioning?Transitioning from texlax
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Chelate,moisturizing DC's. Add honey & grapeseed oil to all DC's. Prepoo w/mashed avocado, EVOO/EVCO, honey, coconut milk. Or prepoo w/Apretadora. BAGGY! Moisturize and seal 2x's/day.
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair?Start w/a mild/light protein like ORS Replenishing, or go Joico K-Pak Reconstruct. ALWAYS f/u w/a moisturizing cond.
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? Regular moisturizing DC's, fresh avocado prepoos, protective styles, no heat. Moisturize and seal 2x's/day.
  7. Under-processed hair? Texlaxing is intentional ,controlled (thnx Gym!) underprocessing, so no real advice. See a professional.
  8. Solution for splits? Trim. After that, protect them as much as possible w/styles that will keep your hair off your clothes, especially if you're trying to go from SL to APL. Baggy (ends only-luv BJ's Whipped Ends Cream fka Whipped Baggy Cream), and be sure to moisturize and seal on a regular. Check out Cocasta Oil @ www.hairveda.net:yep:

1. HairType? 3b and a little 4a
  2. Current Length? BSL straightened and almost APL 100% shrunken
  3. Natural, Relaxed, Text, Transitioning? Natural
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? Deep condition (usually with a bit of cholesterol and Keracare humecto from the tub) with heat for a whole day. I just put my conditioned hair in a bun and
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? I use affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor as conditioner and leave it in for 2-3 hours sometimes all day (see above) and then rinse. I also use henna once a month.
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? See above 2 answers.
  7. Under-processed hair? I dont use chemicals on my hair
  8. Solution for splits? A good ole trim. I prefer blunt ends anyways so :yep:

Last edited:
There are tons of different ways to address a hair problem! Answer this questionnaire and you can be a Hair Hero! List your methods, products and helpful hints and anything else that works for YOUR hair!

1. HairType? 3c with an uncategorizable patch of something at crown
  2. Current Length? BSL
  3. Natural, Relaxed, Text, Transitioning? texlaxed with relaxed ends
  4. Whats your solution to dry, brittle, breaking hair? I combine a true moisturizing cond w/o cones and a protein conditioner and let sit on hair with heat cap for 45 minutes. Moisturize hair 2x daily
  5. Your Solution for limp, spongy hair? You would need to check your porosity. Use a good protein re-constructor followed by a deep conditioning moisture treatment.
  6. What would you do for over-processed or heat damaged hair? Start of with a protein re-constructor, and deep condition using a conditioner. I would up my deep conditioner moisture treatments to 2-3x/wk. And be much more gentle on my ends. Stop all offending behaviors.
  7. Under-processed hair? During my next scheduled relaxer, I would comb the relaxer through the under-processed parts and leave it on for about 5 minutes to even it up with the rest.
  8. Solution for splits? I would start with a good trim and then keep ends moisturized 2x daily sealing with castor or coconul oil. I would keep the ends from rubbing against harsh fabrics that can snag the hair. Keep the ends moisturized!

Back