the hair around my hairline has a mind of its own

FineChyna

the hair around my hairline has a mind of its own-HELP

i have always had a problem with the hair around my hair line and the kitchen looking fuzzy,BB'd up and never laying down.

now that i am 100% natural and take better care of my hair the "kitchen" is not a problem anymore but the hair around my hairline is always "fuzzy" and "kinky" looking and does not lay down whatsoever, which is a serious problem because i usually wear my hair pulled back

i tried numerous types of gels, wax, putting setting products around the hairline and putting a scarf on it until it dries, and any other suggestion that has been posted on here before

after trying numerous things and looking at my hair closely after washing and conditioning it, its clear that the hair around my hairline is a different texture from the rest of my hair. it looks like a 4a/4b which is fine but i cannot get the hair to tame itself and sometimes it looks like i just rolled out of bed when the edges are doing their own thing, although i did style my hair

i was leaning toward texlaxing just the edges to loosen the tight curl pattern and hopefully eliminate the frizz factor that sits on foreheads

being that my hair has always had that problem i don't think the hair is acting like that cause it is damaged. i think my hair is in pretty good shape overall.

anyway has anyone here resorted to using chemicals around the edges to tame their hair?

Last edited:
Re: the hair around my hairline has a mind of its own-HELP

Try the brown Fantasia IC gel and tye a satin scarf around your hair at night. It should be smooth by the morning.

I have the exact same issue!!!

This is actually what prevented me from going natural a few years ago. I went 1 year w/o a touchup but my front edges looked so frizzy and balled up and wouldn't lay down for more than a few minutes. And b/c it is the very front of my hair it was the first thing people saw and it just ruined any hairstyle I tried to do.

I've also tried numerous gels and method but nothing held throughout the day. Especially in the summer.

I ended up relaxing back then but I wish I would have just thought about texturizing or texlaxing the front only.

Now I am texlaxing my entire head. But if I do go natural (thinking about it) I will be texlaxing my front edges only.

But when you relax the edges, don't those eventually head down your head as a different texture than the rest of your hair? I guess if you always wear it straight, then it doesn't matter, but how does it look if you wear it natural?

And then you have to retouch the new growth? I'm just confused about what this ends up looking like over the years.

I've found that 4a/4b hair lays down pretty easy (not bone straight, obviously). Have you tried braiding the hair at night so that it stretches, dampening the edges (gel doesn't work on dry hair for my hair) and then using a heavy gel, like the IC Thick and Shine? Then adding the scarf, tight, until it dries? Or like amr501 said, leaving the scarf on all night?

Someone I recall uses a toothbrush around the hair line with heavy gel.

It also probably doesn't look as bad as you think it does. Good luck.

My hair is the same! Very frizzy and fuzzy in the front, but ok everywhere else. I agree with the advice: gel/grease + a little water on your hands, smooth down and tie with a scarf. Leave on for 30-45 minutes. Voilá!

I have tried the scarf method over night with the all the gels mentioned plus more. It may look good in the morning but towards the end of the day it is a mess. In the summertime it is a mess by midday. And I am not always in the position to try it down with a scarf to lay it down again.

For me, touching up the front edges would just loosen up my texture a bit and it 'should' end up matching the rest of my hair texture a little more. The trick would be to process it enough to loosen the curl and help it to lay down better but not make it straight.

I have a fuzzy hairline as well. I usually use Ampro Pro-Style clear gel (the clear doesn't get all flaky like the brown when it dries) and just tie it down for about 20 minutes. When I remove my scarf, I spray it with a light holding spray and hope for the best. Recently, I've also tried Miss Jessie's Curly Buttercreme which advertises its usage for taming hairlines. It's pricey, but so far, so good. Good luck!

douglala said:
I have tried the scarf method over night with the all the gels mentioned plus more. It may look good in the morning but towards the end of the day it is a mess. In the summertime it is a mess by midday. And I am not always in the position to try it down with a scarf to lay it down again.

same here. i tried all of that stuff and it does not work whatsoever. my bathroom closet is filled with scarves, gels, and such and nothing keeps that hair down.

For me, touching up the front edges would just loosen up my texture a bit and it 'should' end up matching the rest of my hair texture a little more. The trick would be to process it enough to loosen the curl and help it to lay down better but not make it straight.
that is what i am hoping as well

overall my hair is like a 3c but the hair around the hairline is very tightly curled up, i've even tried using a warm blow dryer around the hairline only to straighten it out or to get the hair to "set" and it never stays, which is why i am leaning toward this option

Cheleigh said:
But when you relax the edges, don't those eventually head down your head as a different texture than the rest of your hair? I guess if you always wear it straight, then it doesn't matter, but how does it look if you wear it natural?

And then you have to retouch the new growth? I'm just confused about what this ends up looking like over the years.

I've found that 4a/4b hair lays down pretty easy (not bone straight, obviously). Have you tried braiding the hair at night so that it stretches, dampening the edges (gel doesn't work on dry hair for my hair) and then using a heavy gel, like the IC Thick and Shine? Then adding the scarf, tight, until it dries? Or like amr501 said, leaving the scarf on all night?

well i only plan on loosing the curl pattern around my hairline-not totally relaxing it. so the hair should look close to the rest of my hair.

i usually blow my hair straight but i have worn it curly pulled back and the edges always, always, always, ruined the style. it looks really bad no matter what. i have even resorted to leaving the scarf on my head until i arrive at where i need to be and the hair is looking all crazy around the hair line not long after the scarf is removed

i do sleep with scarf on already and have a satin pillow too. also i have tried to braid my hair to stretch it out but the hairline snaps back real quick.

again this is a problem with my hair i have had since i was a child and was one of the reasons why i wanted a perm so bad when i was a kid. i think my best bet is to use a chemical to loosen the pattern but i wanted to see if anyone here has done it or has an alternative i have not tried

I've heard that some naturals relax or texturize their edges for that very reason. My edges are the same way but I just deal with it. I usually wear my hair curly or wavy so it doesn't matter. Makes my weaves look more believable. :lol: But I'm forever asking my mom do my edges look okay or nappy because I'm self conscious about it. By midday especially in the heat it curls right back up no matter what I use. When I was wearing my hair straight, it did notice that if I flat ironed with QP Curl Wax it wouldn't revert for a while though.

Last edited:
FineChyna said:
i have even resorted to leaving the scarf on my head until i arrive at where i need to be and the hair is looking all crazy around the hair line not long after the scarf is removed

i do sleep with scarf on already and have a satin pillow too. also i have tried to braid my hair to stretch it out but the hairline snaps back real quick.

again this is a problem with my hair i have had since i was a child and was one of the reasons why i wanted a perm so bad when i was a kid. i think my best bet is to use a chemical to loosen the pattern but i wanted to see if anyone here has done it or has an alternative i have not tried

I think you and I are on the exact same page. I totally understand where you are coming from. I also leave my scarf on while driving until I arrive at my destination just to preserve the style for as long as I can.

The scarf and gel works for me but it is only temporary. A couple of hours temporary....And all the stress that I am putting on my edges by brushing/smoothing and/or combing on the gel is a whole other issue.

Keep me posted on what you decide. I am currently half fully relaxed and half texlaxed. And I know that the front edges of my hair will continue to be texlaxed even if I go natural with the rest of my hair. It may be some trial and error as far as processing time goes but I think this will work out well b/c I know my hair.................

ist2_237378_sign_bump_2.jpg

I have the same issue. Two distinct textures on my head. Anyone know of any drawbacks of relaxing just the edges (or the halo) only and leaving rest of hair natural? I want my 4a edges to loosen to blend with my 3c crown and middle. My goal is to wear straight styles and not sacrifice thickness. Any thoughts?

I have the same issue with my edges. I don't mind them being curly or bushy, its the fact that they "bead up" that always ruins any style. Its like different groups of hair form their own island. I have resorted to taking a fine toothed comb around with me and touching it up during the day.

well i only plan on loosing the curl pattern around my hairline-not totally relaxing it. so the hair should look close to the rest of my hair.

i usually blow my hair straight but i have worn it curly pulled back and the edges always, always, always, ruined the style. it looks really bad no matter what. i have even resorted to leaving the scarf on my head until i arrive at where i need to be and the hair is looking all crazy around the hair line not long after the scarf is removed

This is what I've concluded. Anyone?

Yea thats why I had to stop texlaxing my edges and nape. It kept growing, so I had straight hair laying on top of wavy hair in the front, and it did not blend in at all :nono: It pretty much made a major setback in my transition because I now have to wait for my edges to catch up to the rest of my NG.

Before you decide to relax, consider the following product:

FX Special Effects Molding Wax- comes in a little green plastic tub. It is typically at Wal-Mart, and at CVS but more expensive there. Its around somewhere between 3 and 5 dollars.

My kitchen is 4b (and by 4b I mean it is really, really unruly and NOTHING anyone on this board suggested worked) and it actually laid it down like I had flatironed it or like it was relaxed. I put the wax on and rubbed it into my hair with my fingers (no brush!) and used a scarf on my edges all night or for a few hours, or however much time I had before I was going out, and when I took the scarf off my edges were like "Viola!"

Now I have to do a touchup with the wax (after wetting my edges a little every day or so or every other day depending on humidity and how much I played with my hair, but this is the only stuff that didn't revert after 5 minutes (lets jam, elasta qp glaze, fantasia ice pomade, these all reverted...). The only other thing I know that came close was Mango Butter, and it wasn't half as good as this stuff. I am wondering if I mix it with some elasta qp mango butter I will have better results:lick:

Re: the hair around my hairline has a mind of its own-HELP

i have always had a problem with the hair around my hair line and the kitchen looking fuzzy,BB'd up and never laying down.

now that i am 100% natural and take better care of my hair the "kitchen" is not a problem anymore but the hair around my hairline is always "fuzzy" and "kinky" looking and does not lay down whatsoever, which is a serious problem because i usually wear my hair pulled back

i tried numerous types of gels, wax, putting setting products around the hairline and putting a scarf on it until it dries, and any other suggestion that has been posted on here before

after trying numerous things and looking at my hair closely after washing and conditioning it, its clear that the hair around my hairline is a different texture from the rest of my hair. it looks like a 4a/4b which is fine but i cannot get the hair to tame itself and sometimes it looks like i just rolled out of bed when the edges are doing their own thing, although i did style my hair

i was leaning toward texlaxing just the edges to loosen the tight curl pattern and hopefully eliminate the frizz factor that sits on foreheads

being that my hair has always had that problem i don't think the hair is acting like that cause it is damaged. i think my hair is in pretty good shape overall.

anyway has anyone here resorted to using chemicals around the edges to tame their hair?

I know what your going through...if you keep your hair pulled back, have you tried cornrowing the very edges (tucking shorter hair behind your ears)? My texture doesn't bead up, but its like a nappy straight sorta texture :ohwell:

That works well for me or I'll rollerset my hair going forward or do a 6-ponytail rollerset, wrap and tie it up. By morning or later on my hair turns out really smooth. Also african's best hair mayonnaise and ganier soft cream curl works wonders

Attachments

• 007-vi.jpg
    007-vi.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 008-vi.jpg
    008-vi.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Yea thats why I had to stop texlaxing my edges and nape. It kept growing, so I had straight hair laying on top of wavy hair in the front, and it did not blend in at all :nono: It pretty much made a major setback in my transition because I now have to wait for my edges to catch up to the rest of my NG.

Good point! :yep: Thank you al00fone for putting it into perspective. . .

[There goes that idea. . .:ohwell:]

Before you decide to relax, consider the following product:

FX Special Effects Molding Wax- comes in a little green plastic tub. It is typically at Wal-Mart, and at CVS but more expensive there. Its around somewhere between 3 and 5 dollars.

My kitchen is 4b (and by 4b I mean it is really, really unruly and NOTHING anyone on this board suggested worked) and it actually laid it down like I had flatironed it or like it was relaxed. I put the wax on and rubbed it into my hair with my fingers (no brush!) and used a scarf on my edges all night or for a few hours, or however much time I had before I was going out, and when I took the scarf off my edges were like "Viola!"

Now I have to do a touchup with the wax (after wetting my edges a little every day or so or every other day depending on humidity and how much I played with my hair, but this is the only stuff that didn't revert after 5 minutes (lets jam, elasta qp glaze, fantasia ice pomade, these all reverted...). The only other thing I know that came close was Mango Butter, and it wasn't half as good as this stuff. I am wondering if I mix it with some elasta qp mango butter I will have better results:lick:

This may be an option. Thanks! I have never heard of this, and I'd like to think I've tried everything under the sun besides voodoo.:look:
:lol:

Girl
I know what you mean! My eadges and kitchen are hard-headed chiren. But honey makes them act right. The only thing that lays down my taco meat, cukabugs, ie, naps is applying leave-in conditioner that's creamy, smooth it down with a brush (boar bristle ofcourse) and follow with natural honey ( got at whole foods), smooth it on top and then tie it down with a scarf. I kill two birds with one stone, not only is my hair laid but i am conditioning it also. HTH!:yep:

Girl
I know what you mean! My eadges and kitchen are hard-headed chiren. But honey makes them act right. The only thing that lays down my taco meat, cukabugs, ie, naps is applying leave-in conditioner that's creamy, smooth it down with a brush (boar bristle ofcourse) and follow with natural honey ( got at whole foods), smooth it on top and then tie it down with a scarf. I kill two birds with one stone, not only is my hair laid but i am conditioning it also. HTH!:yep:

:::staring at honey on shelf in dorm room:::
:::scooting chair toward shelf::::rolleyes:

CAN I SEE PICS?
ACTUAL HONEY??? How long can you keep it in? Does it get sticky? Smelly? Does it add to shine?

I know the feeling. I get asked if I have a weave or what happened when my beady beads try to come out after I straighten... thats why I got that wax to do my edges. I am going to try the honey though too. I love mixing stuff up...

Edges just look 'off' when I wear straight styles. They draw up something serious.:ohwell:

Back