The Frustration Continues....

FeelinIt

I'm not asking for much. I'm not asking for a different texture of hair, I'm not asking for baby hair, I'm not asking for wavy, curly, "good hair".

All I'm asking for is a little managability, softness, growth, not tangles, not knots, no breakage and a cute style.

Hello, my name is FeelinIt....and I'm a transitioner

(Hello FeelinIt)

Hi guys. I'm here because I need help. It's been four months and two weeks since my last perm and I'm having some issues that are retarding my growth.

My regimen: Wash, condition once a week, flat twist cornrows using Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil and roll ends. Treat scalp with ACV for dandruff, untwist and fluff in the morning for style. To keep style fresh, I wrap hair at night with satin scarf and fluff in the morning. NO HEAT AT ALL.

Here are my problems. After day two, my hair feels REALLY dry, then as the week goes on, the tangles and knots begin. Then the breakage. I retwist my hair during the week again using the root stimulator Olive Oil cream but so far, hair is still dry, knotting breaking and so on.

What do I do? I don't like long complicated washing, conditioning, styling regimens. I don't want to and don't think I should have to use 20 bagillion products just to get my hair soft and manageable. I don't think it is that hard.

I'm fighting with two different textures. I will not BC because I love the length and I feel like I can deal with the two if I choose a natural no heat styling option hence the flat twists. They work and I like them.

Some other things I should mention. I have been avoiding using oils or any products on my scalp because of my seborric dermatitis (sp?). It got out of hand recently and caused major big flakes that were just gross.

I'm also dealing with slow growth. Since May of this year I only have 1-2 inches of new growth. This can't be normal.

I'm frustrated, but determined. My dream of natural waist length hair is there but I keep encountering these setbacks.

If you have any regimen or product suggestions, please list them. Just a note, I love products with as many natural ingredients as possible so if you have any please share.

Thanks in advance!

FeelinIt said:
I'm not asking for much. I'm not asking for a different texture of hair, I'm not asking for baby hair, I'm not asking for wavy, curly, "good hair".

All I'm asking for is a little managability, softness, growth, not tangles, not knots, no breakage and a cute style.

Hello, my name is FeelinIt....and I'm a transitioner

(Hello FeelinIt)

Hi guys. I'm here because I need help. It's been four months and two weeks since my last perm and I'm having some issues that are retarding my growth.

My regimen: Wash, condition once a week, flat twist cornrows using Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil and roll ends. Treat scalp with ACV for dandruff, untwist and fluff in the morning for style. To keep style fresh, I wrap hair at night with satin scarf and fluff in the morning. NO HEAT AT ALL.

Here are my problems. After day two, my hair feels REALLY dry, then as the week goes on, the tangles and knots begin. Then the breakage. I retwist my hair during the week again using the root stimulator Olive Oil cream but so far, hair is still dry, knotting breaking and so on.

What do I do? I don't like long complicated washing, conditioning, styling regimens. I don't want to and don't think I should have to use 20 bagillion products just to get my hair soft and manageable. I don't think it is that hard.

I'm fighting with two different textures. I will not BC because I love the length and I feel like I can deal with the two if I choose a natural no heat styling option hence the flat twists. They work and I like them.

Some other things I should mention. I have been avoiding using oils or any products on my scalp because of my seborric dermatitis (sp?). It got out of hand recently and caused major big flakes that were just gross.

I'm also dealing with slow growth. Since May of this year I only have 1-2 inches of new growth. This can't be normal.

I'm frustrated, but determined. My dream of natural waist length hair is there but I keep encountering these setbacks.

If you have any regimen or product suggestions, please list them. Just a note, I love products with as many natural ingredients as possible so if you have any please share.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not a transitioner but I hope my story helps you out anyway. I had to switch the moisturizer I was using. You may want to try something other than ORS Olive Oil. There may be some type of "cones" aka silicones, etc., that may be keeping your hair from getting the moisture it needs and causing the dryness after a couple of days. I know this because it happened to me with Africa's best Olive Oil. It was thick and had so many good ingredients but I was finding that my hair was stiffening and hard to even finger comb without breaking -- I wasn't using any heat, just bunning and tying with a silk scarf at night. Now, I use Elasta QP H2 (liquid moisturizer as a leave in, Elasta QP Oil Recovery Moisturizer as a daily leave in OR BB Moisturizing Lotion in the White and Pink bottle. These all keep my hair soft, manageable and moisturized. I also add a little bit of coconut oil in the morning to seal in my moisturize. Its very light and very shiny. The one I buy is in a jar and its hard until you scoop some out and rub it in your hands. It emulsifies and shines like crazy. You only need a little bit.

Good luck. Sorry your hair is driving you nuts right now.

I agree, i think it's time to switch moisturizers. I know it's a pain to keep trying products, but I think the ones you are using must be the main culprit,as you've already gotten a couple of other variables out of the way ( no heat and light manipulation).

I'm relaxed and have found that my hair LOVES Nexxus Humectress as a moisturizer, conditioner, and leave in. Salerm21 is a great headress and leave in for my relaxed hair as well.

Good luck, don't give up.

I loved Herbal Essences Replenishing Conditioner (pink bottle) during my transition. It makes my hair very easy to comb when wet, even with the two textures. I would use it once a week to set my hair in braids for a braidout. I'm trying to wean myself off it now because I'm trying to go cone-free.

Cayenne0622 said:
I'm not a transitioner but I hope my story helps you out anyway. I had to switch the moisturizer I was using. You may want to try something other than ORS Olive Oil. There may be some type of "cones" aka silicones, etc., that may be keeping your hair from getting the moisture it needs and causing the dryness after a couple of days. I know this because it happened to me with Africa's best Olive Oil. It was thick and had so many good ingredients but I was finding that my hair was stiffening and hard to even finger comb without breaking -- I wasn't using any heat, just bunning and tying with a silk scarf at night. Now, I use Elasta QP H2 (liquid moisturizer as a leave in, Elasta QP Oil Recovery Moisturizer as a daily leave in OR BB Moisturizing Lotion in the White and Pink bottle. These all keep my hair soft, manageable and moisturized. I also add a little bit of coconut oil in the morning to seal in my moisturize. Its very light and very shiny. The one I buy is in a jar and its hard until you scoop some out and rub it in your hands. It emulsifies and shines like crazy. You only need a little bit.

Good luck. Sorry your hair is driving you nuts right now.

I'll look into these products. I finger comb also and my hair breaks too while finger combing and parting to do my flat twists. I really didn't want to buy new products because I have enough crowding my cabinet but I guess I'm going to have to clean house and try new products.

Thanks for the recs.

everyone mentioned a new moisturizer but you may also need a new shampoo/conditioner as well.

when i first started transitioning i had to change shampoo, conditioner and leave ins a few times. everything when transitioning is trial and error and the only way to figure out what your hair likes or needs is to keep trying stuff. i am not sure what type of shampoo/cond you are using but make sure it is a moisturizing one. i think that may help

FineChyna said:
everyone mentioned a new moisturizer but you may also need a new shampoo/conditioner as well.

when i first started transitioning i had to change shampoo, conditioner and leave ins a few times. everything when transitioning is trial and error and the only way to figure out what your hair likes or needs is to keep trying stuff. i am not sure what type of shampoo/cond you are using but make sure it is a moisturizing one. i think that may help

I use whatever my hand touches first. The only thing I use religiously is the Pantene Hydrating curls conditioner. But as far as shampoo, I use whatever. I really never notice a difference in shampoos. I never thought about the shampoo and conditioner. The thought of experimenting makes me even more agitated. I hated trial and error.

Cayenne0622 said:
I'm not a transitioner but I hope my story helps you out anyway. I had to switch the moisturizer I was using. You may want to try something other than ORS Olive Oil. There may be some type of "cones" aka silicones, etc., that may be keeping your hair from getting the moisture it needs and causing the dryness after a couple of days.
I totally agree! Those cones can dry your hair out!
When I was a transitioner, I found out that if I didn't want to wash my hair often, maybe just once a week, I would need to style my hair in a rollerset. Any other style (cornrows, braidouts, buns) would dry out. For those other styles, S-Curl and cowashing with Suave Tropical Coconut were my friends. As a transitioner, you will just need to moisturize more often (I recommend 1-2 times daily to prevent knotted and matted new growth) and maybe cowash more often. Hope that helps!

FeelinIt said:
I use whatever my hand touches first. The only thing I use religiously is the Pantene Hydrating curls conditioner. But as far as shampoo, I use whatever. I really never notice a difference in shampoos. I never thought about the shampoo and conditioner. The thought of experimenting makes me even more agitated. I hated trial and error.

that's the issue right there... you have to watch what products you are using, especially if they contain SLS and alchohol (particularly if those two ingredients are within the first 4 or 5 ingredients on the bottle). those are agents known for stripping hair of moisture. a 'poo or cond may claim its "hydrating", but its ingredients are not.

unfortunately trial and error is the only way that you'll be able to find a good set of products. when I became a member of these boards, I bought a ton of stuff and spent alot of money. when I found the products that worked for my hair, the hard work paid off.

what i'd suggest (and what's working for me) is that you find a good BSS and take some time looking and researching what shampoos and conds are out there and see what the ingredient composition is. if there's something you'd like to try, get a free sample through the company or buy the smallest bottle. or better yet, see if its being offered through the Hair Product Exchange on this message board ;).

Hey FeelinIt-

Sorry to hear about your frustration!

I'm transitioning as well so I completely understand the challenges you're facing. Along with some of the other ladies, I'd also recommend re-evaluating your products. The most important thing is to pack in as much moisture during that once-a-week wash and condition and then preserve it through the next several days. I don't think adding products to dry hair will do much.

I'm not a PJ and I'm aslo on a budget, so for right now CON and ORS Replenshing Pak serve as my shampoo and deep conditioner. After shampooing in sections with CON, I apply two packets of ORS and sit under the hooded dryer w/ a plastic cap for about 15 minutes (the heat is key for me- it makes the ORS soak in and prevents a "gummy" feel). Every other week I follow the deep conditioning with an ACV rinse to clarify a bit. To style, I either twist or rollerset after adding serum to damp hair.

I hope some of this helps! You can definitely reach your goal. How long are you planning to transition?

sweetness another issue to look into is you possibly overloading your hair with protein that is in your daily moisturizers. This is why i tend to stay away from the Olive oil moisturizers. try the EQP recovery Oil moisturizer. it does have protein in it, but it is waaaay down the list so it doesn't harden the hair after using it for a few days. When i use daily moisturizers that have heavy protein in it...my hair is like you have described...after a few days of usage, my hair is hard and combing thru it tends to break it off... sounds like protein overload to me!

Back