The first step to recovery...

CutiePie0Five

As they say in those AA meetings (lol I've never been to one though), the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. So, in my case, I'm admitting to myself that my hair has broken. ::Sigh:: It's so sad.

I'm pretty sure that this occurred in the beginning of my transition (Aprilish) when my hair was breaking a lot because I didn't know how to transition, or it could be even before I decided to transition, when I felt my hair was no longer healthy (which is why I decided to transition). So basically, I can tell the back of my hair broke off because it's not as long as it was before, and it's about 1-1 1/2 inches shorter than the front, which sucks. I know it's not breaking anymore because I'm taking extra good care of it, but it makes me sad. Plus, I'm sure my parents feel it proves their point that transitioning will only make your hair fall out and break off.

I want to get a blow-out in August to get a trim and see how much growth I've had, but I'm almost scared to because my hair is going to be uneven. I know my stylist is gonna be tempted to even it out, but I'm not going to want her to. Anyone have some encouraging words?

Transitioning without knowledge is rough.....but just be happy that you learned. I transitioned for almost a year without knowing how/what I should do with my hair. I was about to quit and get a relaxer when I found LHCF.

As far as your dilemna, I would recommend that you just learn to trim your hair yourself (using all the great LHCF tips) and when you go to the stylist ask her not to use scissors in your hair at all....they are notorious for cutting to much...and thats a risk that you can avoid. If you dont feel you can learn, then just ask for a mirror and communicate clearly what you want, and let her know that you will be watching her to make sure she follows your wishes. (Say all of this in a nice polite way of course;) )

Second, dont feel bad about your hair being broken..I have a couple of spots that my hair just flat out broke off while trying to use to much heat to make my textures match perfectly....I just learned and the great thing about hair is that it grows back...I just nurse those areas and I am not using heat for 6-8 months..

Last, dont worry about your parents...I dont think ANYONE said a kind word to me in my family when I decided to transition....but its a personal journey...and one day I just told them that they were the ones who were largely responsible for never teaching me to LOVE my hair and texture..and always saying my thick hair needed a relaxer (my mom being the only exception...she didnt want me to get a relaxer)....so BE ENCOURAGED...you are on the right track....just be glad that you know now...because everyday you will see women with short, dry, balding, ends splitting, frizzy, unhealthy hair who have no idea! You know better now...so be empowered by your knowledge....

Happy hair growing! Your hair will be long and beautiful and no time...and they will be asking YOU for tips!

Awww BrownSugarFlyyGirl you made my day!!! =)

Your words were exactly what I wanted to hear. LOL This is why I love LHCF!
It's so sad that my parents are so unsupportive. In fact, yesterday my dad even had the nerve to tell me that "black people can't grow their hair long." He was like, "as a black man with black sisters, I know." I couldn't believe it. If he only saw the progress some of these women on here have had, he'd eat his words. But whatever, I know I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks again!

Back