The Dumbest D!#n Hair Advice You've Ever Heard (given or received)

I have a lady at work years ago that tells me that I should not come to work with wet hair because it would Black people cannot wash their hair everyday. NOW mind you at the time my hair was all the way down to my knees. I was like OKAY LOOK at MYYY hair and LOOOK at yours. YOU have none and you wear a Jheri curl.

20 years later I STILL have long hair (Not that long anymore) and she STILL has a Jheri Curl which she washes only every 6 months. Then she said Oh Almaz you need to cut you hair. I am Like WHY She was like because everyone will think that you are from India and not black I am going to a wedding and I can use your hair as a weave anyway.

Jealous Why is it the people that always give bad advice don't have hair

Ahem:look: and where is your fotki almaz????? U tryin to hide some beautiful hair and reggie girl???:grin:

Hairdresser tells me while combing out my rollerset following a touch up...
"Vanity, you should grease your scalp, because while I am combing this out, your roots are reverting". :look:

This isn't bad hair advice, but an experience I had in a store a couple of years ago.

I was looking for a hair product and this white girl was helping me. I don't remember what I wanted, but I remember telling her that I washed my hair two or three times a week and she was like "What??? You wash YOUR hair that many times a week?" with an incredilous look.

I said "yeah, why do you look shocked? Is something wrong with it?" She said she didn't think "we" washed our hair that much. Mind you, this is Los Angeles, not a lot of black folks, but still....

Once my hair begins to look raggedy it usually means it's time to be washed or just because I feel like it. Minimum is TWICE a week. Three or more is if I'm working out.

I was told to only wash my hair with shampoo for damaged hair only, because we (AA) have naturally damaged hair. WHAT!!!!!

I was told that I should never moisturize my hair and/or scalp because black people's scalps are naturally oily and the hair will essentially moisturize itself.

And of course like many people, I was told that I should get my relaxers every four weeks because if I wait any longer than that all of my hair would break off at the roots.

If you cut your hair during a wasting moon, it will break off. If you cut your hair when the moon in "growing" or Full...your hair will grow like crazy afterwards.:perplexed

*My mother SWEARS by this & will restate it over & over w/a completely straight face! :drunk::spinning::drunk:

Check me out.. i had a friend that would do some of the most dumb ish ever.. and when i would try to tell her its a bad deal she would say girl my hair is very thick it can take anything i do to it.. (she now sports a super short blonde fade from all the years damage)

now let me tell you what i witness.. first she relaxed it with super... and hour later she dyed it red... then 2 1/2 later she got her hair french braided so tight that it made me dam near throw up.. i mean it was so tight her edges were pulling and the scalp had that lumping in the middle... her hair was cute and fresh when it was done.. BUT THE DAMAGE WAS out of this world.. after she took her frech braids out that she let sit for 3 wks.( the fuzzy, edges pulled up with the white buds on the hairline) it was super dry, damaged, and shorter then it was before.

then she dyed it back black and frech baided it again.. i think ima be sick just thinking about it again.. til this day she has NO HAIR.. like its 1/4 inch long.. no lie.. true story

Cringing!

grease your scalp with african pride everyday.... the thick stinky herb kind
Now I did like that African Pride smell, not sure which one it was. I think the one that promised Super growth!:rolleyes:
Let so and so do your hair because they have "growing hands"

"Growing hands", I've heard that Bull!:lachen:

Godmother to best friend on first time relaxing: "Then sit under the dryer" (with relaxer all over your head).
Me::blush::look::perplexed:ohwell::nono::drunk::spinning::rolleyes:
Cringing again.

20 years later I STILL have long hair (Not that long anymore) and she STILL has a Jheri Curl which she washes only every 6 months. Then she said Oh Almaz you need to cut you hair. I am Like WHY She was like because everyone will think that you are from India and not black I am going to a wedding and I can use your hair as a weave anyway. Um:look::lachen::lachen::blush: She's a mess!

Jealous Why is it the people that always give bad advice don't have hair

To the bolded, the world may never know. It needs to be a graduate thesis or something.

Somebody here said to put salt in my conditioner to make my hair soft. Quite the opposite. It took me a couple of DCs and few days to correct the dry, hard hair. Nightmare for me.

1. A relative told me "When I grew up in the country, we washed our hair in the dishwater, and greased it with good ole lard."

2.I was told by someone else, "You should flat iron you hair before you relax it."

Did I get the 'Most ridiculous' award, yet?

a. If you keep cutting your hair eventually it will never grow back.
b. Finger combing your hair pulls it out.

I heard about the dirt one too. I have a family member who swears that not washing her hair frequently makes it grow, yet it still is barely touching her shoulders. My hair has caught up with hers and I was all but bald last autumn.

Oh lord..if my mom tells me this one more time :wallbash:. She told me that the other day..and I said..hair grows from the root..not the ends. I feel your pain girl..

So apparently my hair is going to fall out because I stopped getting relaxers and I co-wash my hair almost daily.

That there is nothing wrong when there is a burnt smell when getting your hair curled with curling irons(stove kind) and it gets in fused in your hair so you still smell it after the style is done and until you wash again.....:ohwell:

This was told to me by a stylist no less.....

That there is nothing wrong with ripping through natural hair that has not been very carefully detangled with a comb attachment while blowdrying..

same stylist.....

She is a good friend but I have not been back in four years!!!!

that the clothing detergent, TIDE, will 'wash' the relaxer out.

she swore up and down the relaxer was no more. she's bald now.

I was told that I should never moisturize my hair and/or scalp because black people's scalps are naturally oily and the hair will essentially moisturize itself.

And of course like many people, I was told that I should get my relaxers every four weeks because if I wait any longer than that all of my hair would break off at the roots.

:lachen::lachen:@ the first one andfor the second one I got relaxers every 4 weeks :wallbash: and it didnt grow past neck length :ohwell:

Jheri curls make people's hair grow!:blush: I stayed jheried up as a kid, until I rebelled as a pre-teen. I still had other bad hair experiences, but at least I got that greasy mess out of my head!

I could see why my mom thought this- we did know a lady whose hair grew long with a jheri curl. I bet her dry-cleaning bill was out of this world, though.

I am sure part of the reason her hair was long with the curl is because she took good care of it otherwise. My mom didn't seem to realize that giving a child a jheri curl, a shower cap, some activator and leaving her to her own devices was not going to make her hair grow! And it didn't. And I remember how bad my hair would smell since it only got washed when I got a fresh curl! And my pillows stunk when my bag slipped off.
:nono::nono::lachen:

My grandmother constantly tells me that my hair is not detangled because I don't use a small tooth comb. And if I used a small tooth come my hair will become straighter.

I was lurking in the LHC and heard some gruesome tales. One lady asked for a 3 in. cut, and the stylist did 6 in! Another wanted her ends trimmed and lost 15 INCHES:wallbash::wallbash:

And the butchery wasn't limited to stylists. Some people had trusted relatives hate on them!

Somebody here said to put salt in my conditioner to make my hair soft. Quite the opposite. It took me a couple of DCs and few days to correct the dry, hard hair. Nightmare for me.

LOLOL! I almost tried it but luckily read another hair site that warned about using anything like salt or baking soda on the hair. LOLOL!

I got everybody beat:

An old friend of my mother's told us that used motor oil (yes the ish you drain during an oil change) would grow your hair, you just "grease" your scalp with it. :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::wallbash::wallbash: She had top of ear length hair. My mom and I looked at one another and changed the subject.

MY PEOPLE, MY PEOPLE!!! WHAT IS WE GONE DO? LAWDHAFMERCY

Girl me and my mother would of been rolling right in that lady's face WTF!!! Motor oil Is she trying to give herself a brain tumor :nono: Now that's the most craziest thing I have ever heard. :lachen:

What the dumbest advice about hair care you've ever heard, whether or not you received or gave it? I just thought about my time a Msms (boarding-type school) when I was competing with a friend brittany, to give advice about hair care for my friend Doya. *names changed to protect the innocent*:look:

Now to give you some idea, brittany's hair was very unhealthy...all two inches of it with some very visible bald comb-over spots around the temple area and scales of dandruff due to infrequent washing on top of dermatitis :ohwell:. Doya who happens to be a fan of weave, had thinning, short hair but it was salvageable with some proper care. Now at the time, I was relaxed but transitioning (had recently discovered NP and BHM) with approx. bsl hair. I had good hair care methods before the boards and had grown my hair from above shoulder length from self-inflicted heat damage a year befor (inspite of knowing better because I was only 16 and wanted to be cute).

Doya was styling her hair and asked my advice on what she should do. I told her it would be best if she put if she rolled it and not used so much heat. Brittany interrupts and says that if she followed my advice that her hair would be all over the place because it was so short and that she should do the following:

-wash hair (no conditioner because that was for white people)
-add grease immediately after to "condition"
-add gel, slick hair down straight, and blowdry
-after drying, curl with a curling iron to set style, add spritz, repeat every 3-4 weeks....without washing in between

I sat in absolute disbelief :blush: even before hair boards I knew that would take someone's hair clean off their head. I said Doya, "are you really gone listen to her" . She said, "well, her hair short too and you got indian hair so what you do is not going to work for me anyway (to put this in it's cultural context brittany & I are AA and doyin is nigerian....and I do NOT have Indain hair:nono:). So I proceeded to shut up, since my advice was falling on deaf ears, but it astonished me that someone could give such advice, as if you wanted their hair to come out:nono:

I aint even read the post. YOU GO TO MSMS?! HAHA I'm always messin with you bad arse kids who always make out in the bushes :giggle:. And the next time one of them boyz jump in front of my car...I WILL SHOOT THEM! Yall are just so durn genius smart...but some of yall lack common sense...even when it comes to hair lol. Now lemme go back and read the post.

What the dumbest advice about hair care you've ever heard, whether or not you received or gave it? I just thought about my time a Msms (boarding-type school) when I was competing with a friend brittany, to give advice about hair care for my friend Doya. *names changed to protect the innocent*:look:

Now to give you some idea, brittany's hair was very unhealthy...all two inches of it with some very visible bald comb-over spots around the temple area and scales of dandruff due to infrequent washing on top of dermatitis :ohwell:. Doya who happens to be a fan of weave, had thinning, short hair but it was salvageable with some proper care. Now at the time, I was relaxed but transitioning (had recently discovered NP and BHM) with approx. bsl hair. I had good hair care methods before the boards and had grown my hair from above shoulder length from self-inflicted heat damage a year befor (inspite of knowing better because I was only 16 and wanted to be cute).

Doya was styling her hair and asked my advice on what she should do. I told her it would be best if she put if she rolled it and not used so much heat. Brittany interrupts and says that if she followed my advice that her hair would be all over the place because it was so short and that she should do the following:

-wash hair (no conditioner because that was for white people)
-add grease immediately after to "condition"
-add gel, slick hair down straight, and blowdry
-after drying, curl with a curling iron to set style, add spritz, repeat every 3-4 weeks....without washing in between

I sat in absolute disbelief :blush: even before hair boards I knew that would take someone's hair clean off their head. I said Doya, "are you really gone listen to her" . She said, "well, her hair short too and you got indian hair so what you do is not going to work for me anyway (to put this in it's cultural context brittany & I are AA and doyin is nigerian....and I do NOT have Indain hair:nono:). So I proceeded to shut up, since my advice was falling on deaf ears, but it astonished me that someone could give such advice, as if you wanted their hair to come out:nono:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:I now you do talkin bout!!!! What a small world. "doya" as you call her...I've been tryna recruit her here for forever. I kinda dont' wnat her to know that I go here though :sekret:. This is my haven. She just BC'ed! Her hair is healthy at the moment!! She still needs a few tips for a regimen though... :sekret:. But yup, I can't say anything because I used to be just like her before the boards. I believed girls with short "kute" hair because long haired girls didn't know what they were talking about. They ha that "good hair" and I didn't:rolleyes:

BUT the dumbest advice I've heard is:

(When my hair started growing this girl wanted to pretend she was the reason why it was growing) She told me that "I told you your hair would grow if you flat ironed jus 1-2 a week) and wash it every 2 wks with "good high priced" shampoo...like (Organic root stimulator)

LOLOL! I almost tried it but luckily read another hair site that warned about using anything like salt or baking soda on the hair. LOLOL!

I think those are definitely of the "what works for one may not work for another." I've done both and my hair loves them. I did the salt in conditioner on Wednesday and the baking soda on Saturday. My hair is uber soft and clean today. Go fig.:rolleyes:

Jheri curls make people's hair grow!:blush: I stayed jheried up as a kid, until I rebelled as a pre-teen. I still had other bad hair experiences, but at least I got that greasy mess out of my head!

I could see why my mom thought this- we did know a lady whose hair grew long with a jheri curl. I bet her dry-cleaning bill was out of this world, though.

I am sure part of the reason her hair was long with the curl is because she took good care of it otherwise. My mom didn't seem to realize that giving a child a jheri curl, a shower cap, some activator and leaving her to her own devices was not going to make her hair grow! And it didn't. And I remember how bad my hair would smell since it only got washed when I got a fresh curl! And my pillows stunk when my bag slipped off.
:nono::nono::lachen:

Jheri curls helped my sister's hair grow long. I guess keeping black hair moisturized and no heat was what did it.

Luckily, I was relaxed at the time and couldn't get JC or Wave Nouveau either.

I was once told by a stylist that I should keep my hair trimmed because it was just going to get thinner as it grew longer. Being a child, I believed it (although I still wasn't sure about cutting my hair) because my hair looked longer, and my ends WERE thin post-relaxer. It never occurred to me that I would have to wait for all the hair to catch up to that point.

YAY FOR BIG CHOPS! :lachen:.I graduated in '06. And you leave my great grand jrs. and srs. alone. You know how much money we bring to that school due to our high ACTs & SATs ?! Don't act like you don't know...and had the nerve to push us out of Fant & Frazier :rolleyes: Yeah I'm still p*ssed about that even though I was outta there before the move *hmpf*.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:I now you do talkin bout!!!! What a small world. "doya" as you call her...I've been tryna recruit her here for forever. I kinda dont' wnat her to know that I go here though :sekret:. This is my haven. She just BC'ed! Her hair is healthy at the moment!! She still needs a few tips for a regimen though... :sekret:. But yup, I can't say anything because I used to be just like her before the boards. I believed girls with short "kute" hair because long haired girls didn't know what they were talking about. They ha that "good hair" and I didn't:rolleyes:

BUT the dumbest advice I've heard is:

(When my hair started growing this girl wanted to pretend she was the reason why it was growing) She told me that "I told you your hair would grow if you flat ironed jus 1-2 a week) and wash it every 2 wks with "good high priced" shampoo...like (Organic root stimulator)

Back