The Drug Store Regimen: For 2007

Syrah

Maybe I've lost my mind, but for 2007, I'm going to try the Drug Store Regimen.

I've been there and done it all - suffered from EXTREME PJ'ism, relaxed, permed, dyed and now natural thanks to the Curly Girl Routine and SO1913 and her beautiful head of hair.

That being said: I'm starting to wonder, is NeXXXus, Elucence, KeraCare and all that other "mess" even worth it?! And I'm saying this coming from a realization of my own - because currently my bathroom and closet is stocked to the hilt with these products.

Sure they are thicker - no one is denying that. NeXXus Humecto and Suave Humectant are two totally different conditioners - that much is obvious. I currently use the Suave version because the NeXXus leaves my hair hard and crunchy. And while the ingredient lists may be the same between the good products and the generics, the AMOUNT of the ingredients is definitely different.

So I'm going to do a test:

I'm doing the drug store routine - everything I'm using on my hair has been purchased at the supermarket/drug store (RiteAid and Vons/Pavilions because I live on the west coast).

That being said: keep in mind a few things - some drug stores do sell NeXXus, Abba, Paul Mitchell, Sebastian, Crew, TIGI and Catwalk - so these are in bounds HAHA.

The Rules:
  • Products I use are purchased or available at the drug store
  • ONLY EXCEPTION: Curly Pudding - and I say this because I"m rocking the curly girl routine and I need that to keep my curly hair in line (although I"m starting to realize that even THAT is expendable). I let you know when I axe it.
Current Products:
  • Shampoo: Herbal Essence: Totally Twisted
  • Conditioner: Herbal Essence: Totally Twisted
  • Moisturizer/Leave in: Abba Nourishing (yes, they even sell this mess at the super market)
  • Moisturizer/Leave in: Herbal Essence: Hello Hydration
  • Oils: Olive Oil (from the oil aisle HAHA)
  • Gel: Fantasia IC Gel with Sparkalites
If my hair fails out, I'm blaming it on ya'll. :)

I can almost do this. I LOVE Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine, Pantene Smoothing comb in leave in, NTM DDC, and the Loreal Vive line. Ic an even get my Motions After Shampoo moisturizing deep conditioner from the drugstore.

BUT, I cannot go without Kenra Clarifying or Redken Cleansing cream because of my water quality. If I go without a chelating shampoo, my hair gets nasty!!

I hear ya! I've thought about doing something similar because I've noticed lately that alot of my local BSS sell products that are in different containers than what Sally's or even the drug store may have. I don't know what's up with that but I'm feeling like the BSS products (although the same) may not be as "fresh" as what Sally's, drug & grocery stores are selling. I dunno. But anywho - I'm going to the drug store and Sallys before I go to the BSS to find my products now.

MsNadi said:
  • Shampoo: Herbal Essence: Totally Twisted
  • Conditioner: Herbal Essence: Totally Twisted
  • Moisturizer/Leave in: Abba Nourishing (yes, they even sell this mess at the super market)
  • Moisturizer/Leave in: Herbal Essence: Hello Hydration
  • Oils: Olive Oil (from the oil aisle HAHA)
  • Gel: Fantasia IC Gel with Sparkalites
If my hair fails out, I'm blaming it on ya'll. :)

How is this one? After going into my PJ closet this past weekend I found a bottle of it.

texasqt said:
I hear ya! I've thought about doing something similar because I've noticed lately that alot of my local BSS sell products that are in different containers than what Sally's or even the drug store may have. I don't know what's up with that but I'm feeling like the BSS products (although the same) may not be as "fresh" as what Sally's, drug & grocery stores are selling. I dunno. But anywho - I'm going to the drug store and Sallys before I go to the BSS to find my products now.

That's what I have been doing! I went to the BSS last week onyl to get some nicer roller pins and a satin scarf (the slection is better). Sometimes they have abetter relaxer supply, aswell. Other than that, they don't see me in there like they used to. They are too expensive anyway! Let's not talk about how much they try tocharge for ORS RP?! :eek:

I can get with this. I have found that more low end products work just as good (better sometimes) in my hair when I use the right techniques. I tried mizani and some sebastian stuff and wasn't impressed. I'm sticking with Suave, ORS, and Cantu, all available at my local CVS :)

HoneyDew said:
That's what I have been doing! I went to the BSS last week onyl to get some nicer roller pins and a satin scarf (the slection is better). Sometimes they have abetter relaxer supply, aswell. Other than that, they don't see me in there like they used to. They are too expensive anyway! Let's not talk about how much they try tocharge for ORS RP?! :eek:

You ain't neva lied (yes, I DID use a double negative, LOL)! BSS must make a killing on the mark-up of their products. It's ridiculous. I like the idea of sticking to drugstore products, but I don't know if I can give up my Elucence poo and con:lol: . All of my other hair products can be easily purchased at a drugstore - and conveniently enough, I live 1 block away from a CVS, Walgreen's, and a Kroger grocery store!:D

I can almost do this, if we include health store products. For the past two weeks, I've used:

Shampoo: AO Honeysuckle Rose
Conditioner: AO HS, AO IN, VO5, TJ Nourish, Tigi Oatmeal Honey, (Regis OO)
Leave-in: Giovanni Direct, (Oyin Honey Hemp)
Styling: Homemade Faux Curly Frizz Pudding
Daily moisturizer: (Curls Milk Shake)
DT: Homemade avocado-coconut milk mask, (MHC Honey Mask), (Jessicurl Too Shea!)

The products in (parentheses) are on-line or salon products. I can cut 45% of those products out, but hard to cut out the Curls Milk Shake and the DT products.

Cheleigh said:
I can almost do this, if we include health store products. For the past two weeks, I've used:

Shampoo: AO Honeysuckle Rose
Conditioner: AO HS, AO IN, VO5, TJ Nourish, Tigi Oatmeal Honey, (Regis OO)
Leave-in: Giovanni Direct, (Oyin Honey Hemp)
Styling: Homemade Faux Curly Frizz Pudding
Daily moisturizer: (Curls Milk Shake)
DT: Homemade avocado-coconut milk mask, (MHC Honey Mask), (Jessicurl Too Shea!)

The products in (parentheses) are on-line or salon products. I can cut 45% of those products out, but hard to cut out the Curls Milk Shake and the DT products.

Good point. I love my Giovanni Direct and my jojoba & sweet almond oils, but I can easily buy those "off the shelf" at Vitamin Shoppe.

my local cvs' prices are much more that my local bss (for instance, their ors temple cream is around $13 and at the bss it's $11), BUT the fry's (a subsidiary of kroger) is much less that both...their garnier products are 2/$3 and their large mnt products are $5.99...however, i went in target and noticed that their pantene liso products are dirt cheap - cheaper than the local mexican stores here...but i can get the best mexican products at cvs, like their version of glycerin, essential oils and aceite 3...none of them are over $2.

all of that *whew* was to say that i can get away with getting everything i need at a drug or grocery store...except the mtg and wgo ;)

This is basically what I've been doing. Most of my products I get from the drugstore, Sally's, or mass retaileres (Walgreens, CVS, Target, etc.) anyway. The only "expensive" thing I do use is Nexxus and I even got a professional sized bottles, so it really wasn't that expensive.

B_Phlyy said:
This is basically what I've been doing. Most of my products I get from the drugstore, Sally's, or mass retaileres (Walgreens, CVS, Target, etc.) anyway. The only "expensive" thing I do use is Nexxus and I even got a professional sized bottles, so it really wasn't that expensive.

Same here. I also pick up some items from the health food store and local Indian market too. I'm currently reading "Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products WIthout Me" by Paula Begoun and it pretty much confirms what my hair has told me all along, that I can use less expensive products and get great results.

I plan to use up my closet full of products in 2007, but I now realize that my tried and true favorite are the cheapies (Scurl, Surge, WGO, Lustrasilk cholesterol) that I can buy for less than $5-10 each!

I love it. Abba Nourishing is one of the things I don't leave home without.

Its not super thick so if your hair has a bit of difficulty "absorbing" product, it might not work so well. But I love it - its light and it does the trick without hardening my hair.

That being said, I also read the back and was bummed to find out it had parabens (are parabens bad? Who the hell knows). How do you claim to be NATURAL (Abba PURE AND NATURAL) and have some damn parabens in your stuff?! :shrug:

i can do this. when i started using all of those salon products the concentration was too high for my hair and it just turned out a mess. I have discovered silk elements and i'm just hooked.

MsNadi said:
I love it. Abba Nourishing is one of the things I don't leave home without.

Its not super thick so if your hair has a bit of difficulty "absorbing" product, it might not work so well. But I love it - its light and it does the trick without hardening my hair.

That being said, I also read the back and was bummed to find out it had parabens (are parabens bad? Who the hell knows). How do you claim to be NATURAL (Abba PURE AND NATURAL) and have some damn parabens in your stuff?! :shrug:

Well the texture of it is similar to my current creamy leave in Pantene Smoothing comb in. But it is hard for me to detangle with. I use Fermodyl ampoules or some liquid leavein before I apply the Pantene for moisture. I cannot wait to try it after my pantene is finished.

Back