The cause of MY breakage revealed....!!!!

beana3

okay after thinking about how and when my hair has prospered I finally narrowed it down to cornrows w/ my own hair and the twist outs. Both of these styles do no put stress on my notorious spot, unlike PROTECTIVE stlyes.
So am i saying all protective styles are bad for the hair? NO. I am saying that protective styles like the bun and anything the requires i put my hair in one, is bad for ME. Its stresses out my spot of hair that needs extra attention, and makes it more likely to break.
If anyone has a spot towrads the crown or middle back of their hair that is constantly breaking, and you cant figure out why, i suggest taking a look at the ever so subtle stress you put on that area for daily styling.

Beane, I had this problem once before. When you put your hair in that style are you pulling tight or sleeping in it? I wear a french roll alot and I have to change my hair pins before I go to bed to a lighter/thinner version. I use no bobby pins at all because I found that they pulled my hair out too if I slept in them especially in the back of my head.

I wore my hair in a secured moderately tight ponytail during the day, then i would take out the elastic holder and oil my hair at night and do a srunchiless bun for bed, i've been doing this since september (when i hit a wall and overtime lost my summer growth).. and it never dawned on me!

The elastic holder you were using...did it have a metal clasp holding it together? That clasp is probably what broke your hair off also wearing it moderately tight consistently. Best to you.

I have the same problem. My bad breakage is right where my old drawstring ponytail connected to my hair. Easing up on how tight I pull my hair back and alternating between cornrows and braids has helped alot. Also at night I don't sleep in a ponytail.

Maybe you could braid it (1 or 2) at night or put your bun on the top of your head. I recently had some shedding inthe back and know it's because I've been wearing my ponytail too tight, which I normally don't do.

Leigh

I always wear my hair loose and down. For the last couple of years I've always done my hair in ponytails for work , but I realized that was breaking the sides and back of my hair. Since I've been wearing my hair down, I've hardly noticed any breaking at all. The only "protective" style I use is a wrap at night.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
emgurl said:
I always wear my hair loose and down. For the last couple of years I've always done my hair in ponytails for work , but I realized that was breaking the sides and back of my hair. Since I've been wearing my hair down, I've hardly noticed any breaking at all. The only "protective" style I use is a wrap at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I dont see much benefit when i protect my ends away in buns, I'd rather get 1/4 inch trims every few months. The breakage i experienced made my hair look very see-trhu in the back and now that i know what NOT to do, I'll officially be on my way.
The "ponytail" i sleep in is just me gathering my hair together and making a very loose bun, its not held by anything. I'll give a report in a few months as to how my grow out is doing since i've eliminated the protective styling, now i just gotta remind myself to do it!

Back